Americas?

cricketmad09

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think that much like the West Indies, nations such as America, Bermuda, Barbados, and other Island nations near America that are not apart of the Carribean should join together and play as Americas, instead of all these tiny nations who have no realistic chance of doing anything in world cricket.

This will allow better players to play, therefore making these teams more competitive, and increasing thier profile.

I think they did this back in the under 19's world cup a few years back.

Thoughts?

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
I don't know if it would help. Such a team would inevitably be dominated by the West Indies which wouldn't allow the others a chance to develop.

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
barmyarmy said:
I don't know if it would help. Such a team would inevitably be dominated by the West Indies which wouldn't allow the others a chance to develop.
I think he means the rest of the Americas.

It won't happen though, not only is there the language barrier when it comes to South America, theres the fact that each individual country would receive less money from the ICC, players would have less oppurtunity to play.

Plus it's actually against current ICC rules. The West Indies remain for historical reasons only. If they were kicked out of the ICC, they'd have to rejoin as their separate units.

I did an interview for Beyond the Boundary with the chairman of the Guernsey Cricket Board and asked him about the possibility of a combined Channel Islands team. His response follows, which may explain a few things: (the caps are his!)

CONSTITUTIONALLY, THERE IS NOT SUCH PLACE AS THE CHANNEL ISLANDS. IT IS MERELY A GEOGRAPHICAL TERM. GUERNSEY AND JERSEY HAVE THEIR OWN SEPARATE GOVERNMENTS. WE THEREFORE WOULD NOT HAVE MET THE ICC?S REQUIREMENTS OF BEING A ?SOVEREIGN STATE? (ALTHOUGH OTHERS HAVE POINTED OUT THAT NEITHER WOULD THE WEST INDIES, ALTHOUGH THEIR POSITION OBVIOUSLY GOES BACK MANY YEARS). PLAYERS IN BOTH ISLANDS WOULD GET 50% OF THE PLAYING OPPORTUNITIES WITHIN ICC IF WE PLAYED AS A COMBINED CHANNEL ISLANDS TEAM, AND THE ICC FUNDING WOULD BE HALVED AS WELL, SO REALLY IT MADE NO SENSE AT ALL TO GO DOWN THE JOINT ROUTE EVEN IT HAD BEEN POSSIBLE.

LA ICE-E

Club Cricketer
i think it would be better because there's some talent in very team so add all of them up to make a team would be a good idea and once the countries being represented is strong enough they will break away and be a separate team...

andrew_nixon

Chairman of Selectors
LA ICE-E said:
i think it would be better because there's some talent in very team so add all of them up to make a team would be a good idea and once the countries being represented is strong enough they will break away and be a separate team...
Would a team whose players could possibly be speaking up to four different languages gel togehter well?

LA ICE-E

Club Cricketer
andrew_nixon said:

It won't happen though, not only is there the language barrier when it comes to South America, theres the fact that each individual country would receive less money from the ICC, players would have less oppurtunity to play.

Plus it's actually against current ICC rules. The West Indies remain for historical reasons only. If they were kicked out of the ICC, they'd have to rejoin as their separate units.

I did an interview for Beyond the Boundary with the chairman of the Guernsey Cricket Board and asked him about the possibility of a combined Channel Islands team. His response follows, which may explain a few things: (the caps are his!)

so a state can have two teams like hong kong and china england scotland but you cant combine it?

D

Deleted member 11215

andy_nixon said:

totally agree andy!

Users who are viewing this thread