Any Improvements?

Yeah even I noticed that.
Mostly the people who do it are the 2 you mentioned along with dhonisingh.

why don't the mods take some action on spam
here are some examples

and i have reported loads of them but they are not deleted when clearly against the rules
use the thanks button if you have nothing else than brilliant,kiu,awesome and a bunch of similes to post:facepalm

here is another one

It is damn annoying
they are single handedly destroying the ac09 forum by heavy spamming:facepalm
Basically, sorry to talk with you:).
Now coming to point, what you've said is correct.
But if you'd have once seen how Cricket 2007 forum was, you'd say that AC09 forum is much better(er). Basically, many spammers have PC's with low configuration.
C07 runs with config of 256MB RAM, which everyone can play. So there is/was huge amount of modding/spamming.
But when you see AC09, people only who have graphic card can play. So, people who have bit of computer knowledge will play AC09, which means spam is under control, but not zero.

I guess you got my point.
And there are some other reasons which is making AC09 forum look nicer than C07 forum regarding pirated copies issues (there were many questions regarding them in my AC09 Community in orkut, with which I came to know), which I'm not keeping out as it isn't allowed here:spy.

Will it ever be possible? What are the challenges hindering such progress?
It is possible. I just view it as both counter to the whole point of a forum and would be unused (like our old Live Chat).

I'm looking at the prospect of reintroducing the Live Thread feature now that the server is coping well with demand, which would bring some immediacy to threads that benefit from it.

Fundamentally, if you want social networking, use Facebook directly, PC will never be a replacement for that, it can't be and I would hate to see it be. Any Live Chat solution would be a chatroom, where you'd need to go in yourself to chat with people, not have people just pop up at the bottom to talk to you. I'd certainly think most members wouldn't want chat to work like that.

Visitor Messaging is fairly good in terms of direct member chat on the site.

why don't the mods take some action on spam
I am of the view that is reasonable posting, it doesn't hurt you to see it and it encourages download makers a lot. As I've said before, our experiments with harsh rules in the C07 forum failed miserably.

People are very quick to call everything spam, but there are very few posts people can make on a preview like that one linked that can expand on what's said. The screenshot is hardly detailed enough to make decent constructive criticism, but the post is still worth responding to. If every time someone posted a preview there was silence, it may be that there's no 'spam' but it wouldn't be a positive thing.

A well maintained index is the best defence against spam in the downloads forum.

People posting attacks on members for spamming or otherwise trying to tell others what to do is far more annoying than those posts.

People posting attacks on members for spamming or otherwise trying to tell others what to do is far more annoying than those posts.

I actually agree very much. There are like 5-6 (useless) posts accompanying the post above conveying the same thing. :laugh

Exactly. If one member posts please make Indian stadium updates other member will post yes make Indian stadium updates and then few more members will post the same thing. Really, the mods can't look at each and every download thread and delete the posts like excellent work, brilliant and so on. I agree with the points Matt made. These type of comments do encourage the member to continue the good work.

What's the point of a member posting high quality downloads but not even getting a single comment on the downloads? If any member has problem with these sort of comments then just avoid the members who posts these sort of comments.

I am of the view that is reasonable posting, it doesn't hurt you to see it and it encourages download makers a lot. As I've said before, our experiments with harsh rules in the C07 forum failed miserably.

People are very quick to call everything spam, but there are very few posts people can make on a preview like that one linked that can expand on what's said. The screenshot is hardly detailed enough to make decent constructive criticism, but the post is still worth responding to. If every time someone posted a preview there was silence, it may be that there's no 'spam' but it wouldn't be a positive thing.

A well maintained index is the best defence against spam in the downloads forum.

:hpraise.
+1.

In C2007 forum, for one post of spam, it made three- four people to spam by saying "You're spamming".

And as a modder, I know how valuable comments/Feedback is.
I came to know about the importance of it when I started making my AC09 stadia. I previously just wrote "Your feedback is important for us" blah blah in C07 "read me"s.

Generally while I edited stadia after September-October 2009, in C07, people din't post properly as there were many strict rules. People use to download whatever I did (Whether it be a blunder). But when I'm modding AC09, I'm getting help from various members like Singhy, Matt105, Akash00 & support from people like Viral, Meet, Dhonisingh etc etc, with which I'm able to make newer versions of a particular mod with much more enthusiasm.
Sorry to say it here, but I'm resuming the work soon within couple of days:spy.
And I apologies, if its not apt place to share all these things.

For the love of God sachin_rocks please stop reporting posts as it's doing my nut in getting all these notifications from you reporting posts. I can only spam the modcp so much with Zorax before it gets boring

I don't think sachin_rocks even posts in the downloads forum, he just sits there all day reporting every single post.

Users who are viewing this thread