Any Improvements?

IMHO there must be a guideline/Warning/Rule to prevent hijacking (Btw I am usually into this hijacking business more than anyone :D) of threads

"Do not hijack an existing thread with off-topic comments or questions--search the forums for your relevant requirement,If you are unable to find it then start a new thread,DO NOT TRY TO FLOOD THE FORUMS WITH USELESS NEW THREADS" :P :p

IMHO there must be a guideline/Warning/Rule to prevent hijacking (Btw I am usually into this hijacking business more than anyone ) of threads
The relevant rule is,
6. Posting Standards
You agree to not spam the forums with posts that have no value such as a succession of smilies, blank posts, etc. Posts should be well thought out, relevant to the subject matter and of good quality.

However thread hijacking is a difficult thing to moderate - it's been discussed a lot in the past about thread evolution - a thread running its natural course into a different discussion. Sometimes that needs to be responded to by the off-topic discussion being directed elsewhere when there's a better place for it, but other times it is fine to continue or the thread can even get renamed to match the discussion going on.

In my experience, usually attempts to control discussion by directing users elsewhere results in that discussion just stopping, rather than it continuing in the correct location. Though obviously, the need to get some threads back to their intended subject is necessary even at the risk of cutting off a useful discussion.

Despite popular opinion, moderators don't try and stop off-topic discussion alltogether - the forum would be a very dull place if it was, it's just that there's a balance that the mods try and find between letting discussion go on, and not detracting from the topic at hand.

If you think something is really getting off topic, report the post and let a mod take a look at it - but that's certainly not necessary for the occasional post. But whatever you do, don't take it upon yourself to try and tell other members what to post - if you think a thread is off topic, make an on-topic post in it.

The relevant rule is,

However thread hijacking is a difficult thing to moderate - it's been discussed a lot in the past about thread evolution - a thread running its natural course into a different discussion. Sometimes that needs to be responded to by the off-topic discussion being directed elsewhere when there's a better place for it, but other times it is fine to continue or the thread can even get renamed to match the discussion going on.

In my experience, usually attempts to control discussion by directing users elsewhere results in that discussion just stopping, rather than it continuing in the correct location. Though obviously, the need to get some threads back to their intended subject is necessary even at the risk of cutting off a useful discussion.

Despite popular opinion, moderators don't try and stop off-topic discussion alltogether - the forum would be a very dull place if it was, it's just that there's a balance that the mods try and find between letting discussion go on, and not detracting from the topic at hand.

If you think something is really getting off topic, report the post and let a mod take a look at it - but that's certainly not necessary for the occasional post. But whatever you do, don't take it upon yourself to try and tell other members what to post - if you think a thread is off topic, make an on-topic post in it.

Ahan.I am sorry

Put the logos of facebook, RSS feed and Twitter in the same line as User CP and Search forums options. It will make the green part look a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread