Any Improvements?

I feel the rep system should be removed, it has caused more arguments than anything since its been in place and people think the person with the biggest rep is the best member on the forum, which is not right.

Nah its just a bit of fun, man.
I personally really like the rep system. The only thing negative about it are people privately flaming them without giving out their names.

I feel the rep system should be removed, it has caused more arguments than anything since its been in place and people think the person with the biggest rep is the best member on the forum, which is not right.

Some reason I agree, also the toher forum I post on is a Vbulletin based forum and it doesn't use Rep and no-one really cares.

LF's idea is great if implemented.

Yeah I like LF's myspace/facebook type comment idea. I'm not fussed about reps whether they stay or go to be honest. All I use them for these days is to send little off-topic messages to people.

And what's with everybody changing their usernames? Where's your stickability people?!

lol,I guess changes are good for all of us, to get about the life.

I guess Rep system is just for fun, and also people should stick to their Usernames. (not that I got mine changed ages ago :p).

I've long thought that the rep system doesn't really serve a purpose. It's just mates repping each other and almost every negative rep results in a thread where someone gets upset. I've seen a "Cheers" mod on a fair few vbulletin forums, where users can click to say cheers to a useful post, perhaps this is a good replacement.

evertonfan said:
And what's with everybody changing their usernames? Where's your stickability people?!

Yeah its a bit annoying to say the least. I know a while ago I changed my username, but I did have a good reason, rather than i just didnt like it. Perhaps the problem could be avoided if members who have a zero post count were deleted after maybe a year so as to free up usernames.

Last edited:
I do however hope that the rep system is kept in place, and maybe before you guys considered getting rid of it if you could hold a poll/vote with the members.
We would definitely consult with members before any major change to the rep system (by the way this current reply counts as that consultation, so expect random changes without notice ;))

Actually I do feel I have to add if things like TAOC get it's own space on the main forum page, so should vbookie
It will be looked into.

Is it possible that we leave comments on each others profiles? Would be better than reps but obviously you don't want people leaving abuse I'm thinking more for just saving me Pming people if I ever have to.
I think (and I'm just going off memory here) that the next version of vBulletin has that feature. But that version is still in beta so there is no chance of an upgrade happening in the near future. However I'll look to see if there is any way to get this feature on our current version and also to consider if it is worth it.

Plus I think there should be a better way of rewarding people who actually do something like make downloads and stuff.
Any suggestions?

If you were the member with the biggest rep would your opinion be different. I'd like to hear Duff's views on this :)

Nah its just a bit of fun, man.
I personally really like the rep system. The only thing negative about it are people privately flaming them without giving out their names.
As has been said many times contact a staff member with any concerns you have over reps received. There is a way to disable negative reps and like all things that will be considered.

I've long thought that the rep system doesn't really serve a purpose. It's just mates repping each other and almost every negative rep results in a thread where someone gets upset. I've seen a "Cheers" mod on a fair few vbulletin forums, where users can click to say cheers to a useful post, perhaps this is a good replacement.
We have looked into the 'Cheers' mod before and it was pretty much decided that it didn't meet the requirements for a replacement to reps and only really worked (in theory) in a few forums.

Perhaps the problem could be avoided if members who have a zero post count were deleted after maybe a year so as to free up usernames.
That would just bring more people wanting to change their name, though it might be good to remove some of those zero posters.

Maybe remove zero post count posters who haven't been ACTIVE for over a year. Because I bet there are lurkers here that don't post.

Any suggestions?

Something like reps now but they can only be given for downloads and other things that help the site, or maybe you should just give people who make the best downloads vcash :p I guess downloads won't exactly be a big part of the site though until some new good games come out like TAOC

I think (and I'm just going off memory here) that the next version of vBulletin has that feature. But that version is still in beta so there is no chance of an upgrade happening in the near future. However I'll look to see if there is any way to get this feature on our current version and also to consider if it is worth it.

It probaly will, as IPB have already brought it out and it has been very popular.

Users who are viewing this thread