Any Improvements?

Yeah, we'd love to have a more active cricket discussion section - but we've never really been able to figure out why a site full of people who spend ages talking about cricket games don't have much interest in discussing the sport.

I'm open to ideas on this.

Yeah, we'd love to have a more active cricket discussion section - but we've never really been able to figure out why a site full of people who spend ages talking about cricket games don't have much interest in discussing the sport.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
I think this is a problem that can't be fixed unless we get something in the game which is genuinely earth shattering or we have an amazing series or tournament.

People are also quite happy to discuss actual cricket in the DBC forum but as soon as we try to tempt them to the cricket discussion forum...

You can make a number of changes to the ads you see by modifying your settings with Google - Ads Settings

This allows you to set and remove certain categories of ads that might appear.

On some ads there will be an X in the corner allowing you to prevent those specific ones from appearing.

Or you may just get chrome, install pop-up blocker and Adblock plus and live happily ever again.

And then not be able to visit this site once we're unable to pay our hosting bills.

The sole reason why I refrain from not removing those half naked women out there trying to sell lingeries. Done ad choice, cross mark et alia.

----------

And then not be able to visit this site once we're unable to pay our hosting bills.

The sole reason why I refrain from removing those half naked women out there trying to sell lingeries. Done ad choice, cross mark et alia.

The sole reason why I refrain from removing those half naked women out there trying to sell lingeries. Done ad choice, cross mark et alia.
We also try everything on our end to minimise that kind of thing - we've got all those kind of categories on a do not show list, but some sneak through as even Google doesn't have the resources to pre-verify that all the ads are in the right categories.

I'll bug @barmyarmy to take another look at the settings to double check that those categories are filtered out.

It's not our intention to have bad ads, but we do need them because it's the only way we can pay the bills.

It's not our intention to have bad ads, but we do need them because it's the only way we can pay the bills.

I certainly understand that. I will order a carton pack of Jockey for you if those ads stop appearing. :p

You can make a number of changes to the ads you see by modifying your settings with Google - Ads Settings

It's even easier than that, just click on the ads you like... once you start doing that, you get ones you at least want to see and it helps pay the bills here. I just click on the ones that aesthetically look nice with the theme I've chosen, oddly enough the seem to be pink and/or skin coloured ads of attractive women....

i've said this before, maybe it can form part of the forum move... but you should get the "articles" better integrated with the discussion. there have been some good articles, but their comments bit is always zero because they're not integrated with the discussion, and the bit that is integrated becomes hard to find.

this doesn't make it particularly attractive to either write or comment on an article. (i have considered writing an article before, but that put me off... it was largely about why David Saker is such a tosser. given how England just bowled in the last test, it would still be topical.)

i think this would have a big effect.

maybe if you have a few article writers that are writing good articles, and getting good amounts of comments etc. you could let them mod their own "section", almost like their own blog.

an example for me would be @TheAuthor - i read his popping crease blog regularly and it's excellent. it always bothers me how few comments he gets on his blog (to be fair, i've commented like about 3 times, so i'm sort of part of the problem, but as noted above, when you see zero comments on a blog you think "if i comment, what's the point there'll be no discussion"). I don't know how he does in terms of traffic, but perhaps if there was a way his blog was part of this site, it might be beneficial to you both.

Users who are viewing this thread