Any Improvements?

I think its just like blockersaid comments need to be integrated with forum thread, while many have disquss, they may not bother to have two different places of discussion,

the best analogy would be what @Ross says for online, the pool of people available is less and if we keep dividing them into sections the chance of discussions happening is less.

One other way is having some sort of scrollers with latest hot articles in all threads as has been already suggested in earlier discussions i think.

I cant find planet cricket on Tapatalk app. any info about this?
We don't and won't support Tapatalk.

You can view the site via our mobile optimised style by scrolling to the bottom of the page and clicking on the style selector dropdown box and choosing 'PlanetCricket Mobile'

i've said this before, maybe it can form part of the forum move... but you should get the "articles" better integrated with the discussion. there have been some good articles, but their comments bit is always zero because they're not integrated with the discussion, and the bit that is integrated becomes hard to find.

this doesn't make it particularly attractive to either write or comment on an article. (i have considered writing an article before, but that put me off... it was largely about why David Saker is such a tosser. given how England just bowled in the last test, it would still be topical.)

i think this would have a big effect.

maybe if you have a few article writers that are writing good articles, and getting good amounts of comments etc. you could let them mod their own "section", almost like their own blog.

an example for me would be @TheAuthor - i read his popping crease blog regularly and it's excellent. it always bothers me how few comments he gets on his blog (to be fair, i've commented like about 3 times, so i'm sort of part of the problem, but as noted above, when you see zero comments on a blog you think "if i comment, what's the point there'll be no discussion"). I don't know how he does in terms of traffic, but perhaps if there was a way his blog was part of this site, it might be beneficial to you both.

Very rarely do blogs do well, one guy I know stopped writing on his one and he put a lot of effort into it. As mentioned there was a lack of comments. Even the cricinfo blog section struggles for much discussion. At most you are looking at around 10 comments.

In terms of integration the way we have done it where the article is posted on the front page and a forum version in Cricket Discussion is probably the best way to do it. Having the user instead of the PlanetCricket bot posting it would make it look better but other than that it's back to the catch 22 of users not posting in the Cricket Discussion forum.

I agree. I don't find it very motivating to write an article which no-one reads either.

The reason I don't read those articles on the home page is because I simply don't have the patience to sit there and read a huge block of text (I suspect this is the same for many other members hence no discussion on the articles). Whenever I see a huge block of text on this forum unless it's from someone I find interesting then I will almost certainly just skip it.

If possible future articles should be shortened and writers should include some relevant images to go along with it.

Less is more as they say...

I agree that presentation is important and I've always tried to break mine up a bit. Something we probably need to do better though.

In terms of integration the way we have done it where the article is posted on the front page and a forum version in Cricket Discussion is probably the best way to do it. Having the user instead of the PlanetCricket bot posting it would make it look better but other than that it's back to the catch 22 of users not posting in the Cricket Discussion forum.

sorry, but it's the worst possible way, because the comments and therefore discussion is fragmented.

i write an article, on why David Saker is a tosser (exhibit A, Steven Finn; exhibit b, the first innings of the last test; exhibit c, average runs for last 3 wickets vs England over 12 months is 98)... on the front page article, someone posts a comment on why he's actually the best bowling coach ever. on the discussion page, someone posts a comment that he is a tosser, but it's not because of the results, more his stupid goatee.

how can the three of us possibly have a discussion in that format?

then, the article thread gets lost not by more articles, but by other usually nonsense threads.

have a single place for all articles, easily found, and with the comments for it only in one place.

have as @grkrama has suggested a banner or scroll or something with the latest/most read/most commented articles on so people not coming in via the home page can still see them.

have some rules per @SpitfiresKent and @barmyarmy regarding length, format, pictures etc.

i guarantee you'll get both more articles, and more comments and hence real cricket discussion under it.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact everyone who is a fan is almost always a self-proclaimed cricket expert and often-times reading opinions of someone else is either preaching to the choir or a complete antithesis to your own that you eye-roll and close the tab.

It's also a lot easier to talk cricket with a beer-in-hand and gesticulate than it is to form a few interesting paragraphs with people you don't know.

sorry, but it's the worst possible way, because the comments and therefore discussion is fragmented.

i write an article, on why David Saker is a tosser (exhibit A, Steven Finn; exhibit b, the first innings of the last test; exhibit c, average runs for last 3 wickets vs England over 12 months is 98)... on the front page article, someone posts a comment on why he's actually the best bowling coach ever. on the discussion page, someone posts a comment that he is a tosser, but it's not because of the results, more his stupid goatee.

how can the three of us possibly have a discussion in that format?

then, the article thread gets lost not by more articles, but by other usually nonsense threads.

have a single place for all articles, easily found, and with the comments for it only in one place.

Thats exactly what we had a few years back, a sub forum was dedicated just to the article in thread forum. No comments were on the front page and hence all discussion was in one place, again we faced the same problem with lack of comments. Also you can find all the articles by changing the Prefix to PlanetCricket View which will only give you the articles (one for the future would be making this easier to find).

have as @grkrama has suggested a banner or scroll or something with the latest/most read/most commented articles on so people not coming in via the home page can still see them.

have some rules per @SpitfiresKent and @barmyarmy regarding length, format, pictures etc.

i guarantee you'll get both more articles, and more comments and hence real cricket discussion under it.

If you look above the banner in the Cricket Discussion forum you should have a section with:
Cricket News
Latest Results - Powered by Cricinfo
Opinion/Analysis from the PlanetCricket View
This contains the latest article posted and we use to have 3 articles being displayed there.

Don't get me wrong I know what we have isn't perfect and what you are suggesting makes sense (and we'll certainly look at integrating things better, less fragramented and article length) but reality is we've basically done all the things you have mentioned in the past there just doesn't appear to be a appetite for it. If you would like to give things a try like moderating the articles for length/quaility you are more than welcome to join our Writing Team (need some writers to post articles though!).

If you would like to give things a try like moderating the articles for length/quaility you are more than welcome to join our Writing Team (need some writers to post articles though!).

thanks but i'm genuinely more comfortable outside the tent peeing in ;)

a lot of the other features you mentioned i was unaware of (in terms of finding articles)... i don't know if they can be made more prominent.

out of interest, was there any reason why in the past you still didn't have comments on the front page?

maybe you could also have in the user profile thing (the bit on the left next to their posts), a link to a user's articles?

out of interest, was there any reason why in the past you still didn't have comments on the front page?
Basically because they run on different systems and there wasn't an effective way to integrate them with the current forum.

There's a few more options for the new one, so it's something we can revisit after the dust settles on the move.

Does anyone else have PC.net showing like this?

Attachments

• 122233.JPG
    122233.JPG
    182.3 KB · Views: 36

Users who are viewing this thread