Are you thinking of getting a tattoo in homage....

I sure as hell would not if I was the HR guy.
Luckily most engineering companies do not allow HR to make engineering hires. HR is usually around to make sure the legal process is followed when interviewing candidates and making sure the process isn't discriminatory in any way and of course all the associated paperwork.

As an interviewer, yes, sometimes it is difficult to look past issues like that. On a recent interviewing trip, one interviewer was miffed that a guy didn't show up in a suit. Others on the trip said they didn't care, since it didn't fit into the culture of the company (people regularly wear t-shirts, flip flops, etc.). In the end that comes down to the interviewer and how they balance out culture with their personal sensibilities.

It is definitely not advisory because that sort of stuff can be distracting and questionable. But if you overlook really good candidates who have technically sound backgrounds and a good head on their shoulders because of ink, it is really your company who is losing out on a good hire. And believe me, there is not an infinite supply of good hires (and in fact, arguably there is a shortage in the engineering industry).

I've never been involved in engineering in any capacity. I worked in IT for a bit and there are a fair share of weirdos there but still no one with excessive tattoos.

Again, it's all down to personal opinion, and if I owned a company I wouldn't hire someone who looked like a freakshow attraction no matter how well they are qualified.

Agree with Mark, I personally don't see the point in tattoos, seems stupid to me. Although I can understand why other people get them.

What do you guys think of tattoos on girls? Personally, I don't mind the ones that go round the upper arm, like a bracelet, or smaller ones on the lower back, but the ones that cover a large amount of the body make me think 'Why do that to your body?' Especially if it's a good looking girl.

I wouldn't get a tattoo, a couple of my mates have got one recently, but it's not something i'm going to be having done to myself.

I don't mind the people who get it done when it's names of their family, however the 'sleeves' that some people have done, i can't see the point of, but that's just my point of view, some people like to have them done, and that is their choice.

I wouldn't get a tattoo, a couple of my mates have got one recently, but it's not something i'm going to be having done to myself.

I don't mind the people who get it done when it's names of their family, however the 'sleeves' that some people have done, i can't see the point of, but that's just my point of view, some people like to have them done, and that is their choice.

Yeah, I hate those 'sleeves', especially on girls.

tatoos look cool with girls

----------

love the one by kat von D , LAInk fame.. she looks cool

----------

love the tatoos she has on her hands and belly...

or getting a tattoo in general

Might seem like a good idea at the time, but just imagine if you decided to paint a picture of your favourite team/player on the wall at home and how soon you'd miss the nice unspoilt colour of the wall as was. Of course you could just paint over it, not quite so simple with tattoos.

Users who are viewing this thread