Argha's Downloads

TV Overlay Tutorial for Photoshop users

Since a lot of guys requested me to make a tv overlay tutorial for EA cricket 2005, using Photoshop, I decided to give it a go. Some also requested me to make a Star sports overlay. So as soon as i got some ref pics i started working.
A tutorial is already there made by Sylvester, but he used Photopaint, so this tutorial is meant to help the photoshop users.(Though sylvesters tutorial was a great one, infact I learned from that one only. I would only discuss the graphics part. The xml/rfe editing is well covered in Sylvester's tutorial.
To make realistic overlays, we need to find some good reference pictures. We need pictures of scorecards, Bowling and batting stats, spider/wagon wheel etc. Even if you dont have all the pics dont worry, you can always make them based on the theme. Suppose you only have the scorecard as ref, so first try and make the score card and then based on that make the other stuffs.
So Firstly we need to know what are there to edit. Firstly the things you need.
1. Any tv overlay pack which contains the fsh and rfe files. Make sure you use the overlay which would be graphically close to the one you are making. I mean as I am making Starsports, I find its much like the super sports so i'll use it as the base. So that i dont have to edit the rfe files much.
2. fshed005
3. Fshed tga plugin
4. Photoshop.

Step 1
------

Ok to start I would say there are quite a few files to edit, so open these files: 1.

8ebdec04546acb62e89003d165bff0a5.fsh, and 557e1a2a7bd98f3680af6f879c16d401.fsh in fshed and extract the files (shown in the pics) as bmp in a folder.

17ei.jpg

21md1.jpg

33qr.jpg

There are 2 dimensions to choose from 512*512 and 640*480. Its better to make a 512*512 one because it wouldnt make the white screen problem as reported by a lot of users.

Step 2
------

So since we are making 512*512 overlay, open the image(whatever you are editing. i.e if you are editing the scorecard then open the extracted scorecard bmp) in photoshop. Then drag your ref pic to the newly created file.

49wl.jpg

Now you need to create the textures as they are in the real picture.So we will try and trace it. To do that select the marquee tool and drag it to make the outline of the bar as shown in the picture.

53nc1.jpg

Then copy (crtl+c) and paste it in a new layer. Now press (Crtl+T) to transform and then scale it to your need. As you can see in the picture I have switched off the visibility of the ref picture layer.

66kh.jpg

I did this to view the lower layer, as I have to set the bars according to that. Once its set, copy the layer several times to create multible bars. An easy way to do that is press alt and shift and drag the layer, this would make a new copied layer. Now press Crtl+E to merge the layers. Now again copy the layer. repeat the process to complete your graphics.

76bh.jpg

Similarly do the rest of the graphics. When done switch off the visibility of all the unnecessary layers and save it as png.

85rh.jpg

click on the interlaced option when asked.

90dm.jpg

Optionally you can even create(draw the graphics manually rather than copying)

Step 3
------

Similarly create all the other graphics and save them as png.

Ofcourse save psd as well for future editing.

Step 4
------

Open Fshed005, and open 8ebdec04546acb62e89003d165bff0a5.fsh file and select the scorboard. Now click on tools and then graphic importer. Now locate the scorecard png you created and import it, and click on update.

107et.jpg

118fu.jpg

Repeat this step for other graphics aswell, and then click on save.

Now copy the fsh and big files to the cricket 2005 dir and test the graphics. You probably have to

test them several times to get it right. If you find some adjustments needed, do them accordingly in

the psd files and import them again in fshed.

As I mentioned earlier I would not go into xml editing, you can refer Sylvester's tutorial for that.

Here's the link.
http://www.planetcricket.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13010

I hope this was usefull. If you need any further assistance post your querries here. Thanks

I'll be releasing the starsports overlay soon(probably tommorrow.) bye. :D

This tutorial isnt a complete one so i didnt create a new one. If any mod feels it deserves a new thread then they can move it.

great tutorial there Argha........ keep it up. And I think mod needs to move it in a Tv tutoral thread
Cheers

Argha finally you have made a tutorial which I requested you.Thanx and reps4u.

Hey argha gr8 work.......well thanx i will try out this tutorial and go on i feel this tutoria is more easier to understand...

Hello ARgha
can u make the Tv overlay which is used in BSNL Cup
Thankx in advance

Real good work,argha,
Reps for you.
Pity it does not allow me to give you some right now :rolleyes:

mehkar said:
Hello ARgha
can u make the Tv overlay which is used in BSNL Cup
Thankx in advance

Thats quite a nice overlay.
I liked it.

mehkar if u want i can make the Overlay... just post some screenshots in my thread..

Farrukh_|$B said:
mehkar if u want i can make the Overlay... just post some screenshots in my thread..

Thanks Farrukh, :cheers As I said before I cant be making stuffs for a few days now, I'll start working after my exams. :cheers
Besides there are lot of other guys who are working really good now including Farrukh, :hpraise and mehkar too(I saw your face downloads, impressive work) and other guys aswell. And offcourse there are the other Patchteam members. :hpraise

ya i can do for sure but i need screenshot if anyone can post them in my thread..

Hi guys I am back in business, My exams are over, so you guys can request anything, and i'll try to make them. Though I think C2K5 has been developed enough. Nothing else to make.

arghasen said:
Hi guys I am back in business, My exams are over, so you guys can request anything, and i'll try to make them. Though I think C2K5 has been developed enough. Nothing else to make.

Welcum back Argha!!!! Finally urs is over... i m in completing phase!!!!
Gud Luck!!!
:cheers

Users who are viewing this thread