Ashes-2023 England VS Australia 16 June-31 July

Six more off lyon for root. New ball is imminent so he’s making a few before that

393 for 8. Stokes is declaring on 393 for 8. What a brave decision that is

well game on
Has to be the daftest decision at Edgbaston since Ponting chose to bowl in 2005. We have thrown away some really useful runs and 100% certain it backfires.

We don't want to give this Aussie team a 1-0 lead already because could free them up. Don't even get me started on the decision to not play Wood on a flat pitch. There just isn't enough pace in the attack and we will suffer as a result.

Last edited:
England scored more on Day 1 in Birmingham in 2005 (R.I.P Bazball)

Well IF they had you know actually batted on they would have smashed that record. What on earth are you thinking Stokes just letting them off and giving momentum too.

Last edited:
Well IF they had you know actually batted on they would have smashed that record. What on earth are you thinking Stokes just letting them off and giving momentum too.
If they had picked up a wicket ot two in those few overs he would be a genius no doubt. I thought it was a good move and would have caught the Aussies slightly off guard. Its more something the Aussies of old would do to say: we have 398...more than enough now you have a go. I like it.

Mindless declaration by Ben stokes without assessing the conditions. Australia can score 500+ on this highway

If they had picked up a wicket ot two in those few overs he would be a genius no doubt. I thought it was a good move and would have caught the Aussies slightly off guard. Its more something the Aussies of old would do to say: we have 398...more than enough now you have a go. I like it.

Are you really going to be hailed a genius if you dismiss Khawaja and Warner cheaply considering their previous history in England?

I asked an AI to explain Ben Stokes declared. We shall see if it can predict the future and whether it 'paid off':

Ben Stokes declared against Australia in the first test at the Ashes for a number of reasons.

• To put pressure on Australia's openers. The declaration came with just under half an hour left in the day's play, and Stokes was hoping to take advantage of the late afternoon conditions and get a wicket or two before the close. Australia's openers, Usman Khawaja and David Warner, are both known for their vulnerability against the new ball, and Stokes was hoping to exploit that.
  • To set a challenging target. Even though England were only 393-8 at the time of the declaration, the pitch was still in good condition and there was plenty of time left in the match. Stokes was confident that his bowlers could take wickets, and he wanted to set Australia a target that would be difficult to chase.
  • To assert England's dominance. The declaration was a bold and aggressive move, and it showed that England were not afraid to take risks. It also sent a message to Australia that England were coming out to play, and they were not going to back down.
The declaration was a controversial one, and there were some who felt that England had thrown away the chance to score more runs. However, Stokes' decision paid off, as England went on to win the match by 9 wickets.

Here are some additional thoughts on Stokes' decision:

• It was a sign of the new, more aggressive approach that England are taking under Stokes and head coach Brendon McCullum.
  • It showed that Stokes is not afraid to take risks, even on the first day of a test match.
  • It was a calculated gamble, but it paid off in the end.
Overall, Stokes' decision to declare against Australia was a bold and aggressive one that paid off. It showed that England are coming out to play, and they are not afraid to take risks.

Everyone is just throwing a lot of BS (Before Stokes) cricket knowledge at this, things aren’t how they used to be. He’s playing high risk high reward because he’s looking for those small differential moments in a game, the ones tha can massively turn the tide in your favour. Your best move in sport is the one your opponent wants least, which scenario would be best for Warner and Khawaja: going to bat straight away on day 2 after having a sleep, relaxation and time to clear their heads and crowd not in full swing at all with only say an extra 20-50 runs to go out with or under lights, with a short potentially very tricky and dangerous period at the crease with a raucous intoxicated Edgbaston crowd prying for blood. It didn’t work on this occasion but he’s trying something knew which is better than so many captains before him who played it far too conservative and negatively.

I got the small differential part yesterday but there’s also a percentage play involved in it. It shouldn’t really matter or make a difference in the case of both Warner and Khawaja who have been shite in the past in England to try and gain a small advantage by dismissing them, you stand an equal chance of doing it without any of these small differentials. I’ve pointed out before that these small tactical tweaks have been a key feature of Bazball’s success but this was just overthinking for the sake of it, it’s like bowlers bowling bouncers at the tail to spook them and draw an edge instead of just trying to plonk their stumps.

Users who are viewing this thread