Ashes 2015 - Australia tour of England July/September 2015

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
Morgan quite clearly doesn't give a stuff about county cricket. His record is awful. He's always said however that ODI runs should count for mor than county championship runs when it comes to picking a test team. I reckon he has a point. Does anyone think he's worth another go in the test side given his brilliant summer in ODI cricket for England?

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
This is the problem in general with cricket teams. James Taylor has been on the rise forever. You are wasting his precious years in county cricket. Ian Bell is a very poor batsman in the sub continent and instead of tagging him along for one more trip you rather expose guys like Taylor. Also, I hope Buttler has only been 'rested.' If he's been dropped it's very poor selection. He needs a score and in my book, he's VITAL to England in limited overs, specially in big ticket tournaments.

I hope Eoin Morgan has finally come of age. Looks like it. I don't see the point of Ali @ 7. He has to play though. Anywhere. I'm a bit disappointed Billings has lost his place but I understand. You can't play everyone and Bairstow has really impressed me this year.

bigred

Club Captain
Actually there might be a case for picking Bairstow in the test team for at least the UAE tour. I can't see them letting Ali open so somebody (probably Hales) will have to come in and do that. But they want two spinners in the team, and I don't think they'll put Ali any higher than 7. If that happens the keeper would have to bat at 5 or 6. Stokes is probably better off at 6 so then your keeper bats at 5. For me, Bairstow would do a better job in that position.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Taylor will definitely go to the UAE. Probably competing with Ian Bell for a starting spot. They'll probably stick with Bell for at least the first two tests.

I agree that they will keep Bell but I don't agree with the decision to do this. Bell has had enough chances this summer and not performed well enough. Taylor should be at 3. I'd like to see Compton in the squad. He can open and play at 3 and plays spin nicely. He is a very calm batsmen and ever really got a fair crack at it with England.

On a separate note, why was Willey behind Plunkett in the batting order? Absolute madness. If we had 10-15 overs to bat, you'd want Willey in instead of Plunkett.

Magical catch from Maxwell. Some of the fielding has been incredible this series.

bigred

Club Captain
I actually think Plunkett is a really good batsman. I didn't have a problem with him coming out at 8. Nor would I have done if Rashid or Willey had done.

It must have been England's longest ever batting lineup today with Wood batting down at eleven.

bigred

Club Captain
Do England stick with Hales in ODIs? Average of under 20 in 20 matches isn't a great start. Not a particularly high s/r either. Bell and Cook had much better averages scoring at the same rate.

I think I'd probably give him the whole winter as ODI opener. This series hasn't done his hopes of a test cap any good though. I'd say Ali is favourite to open in the UAE now. Wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with Lyth over Hales.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Do England stick with Hales in ODIs? Average of under 20 in 20 matches isn't a great start. Not a particularly high s/r either. Bell and Cook had much better averages scoring at the same rate.

I think I'd probably give him the whole winter as ODI opener. This series hasn't done his hopes of a test cap any good though. I'd say Ali is favourite to open in the UAE now. Wouldn't be surprised if they stuck with Lyth over Hales.

Cricket is not just about 'averages.' Hales has an enormous potential to become a very destructive force in world cricket, not just English cricket. He has a few issues and it wouldn't be a bad idea to leave him out for the time being and have some members of the coaching staff help him out with his issues. Playing someone when they're in a rut can completely exhaust an individual. It certainly affects things like morale, confidence and self belief.

Like you pointed out, a test birth now could be the beginning of the end.

I think, England could give Vince a go at the top with Roy. I don't see the point of Cook/Bell. They could have been match winning ODI cricketers in the 90's but in today's day and age they are liabilities. It's daft to put them and Hales in the same bracket.

I would give Hales a complete break from cricket for a couple of weeks and then have the England coaching chaps sort him out. I would also not have him in the starting XI of the next ODI, but a guy like him has to be in your frame for a long term period to win BIG ICC Tournaments. The guy's presence in itself is intimidating.

bigred

Club Captain
Cricket is not just about 'averages.' Hales has an enormous potential to become a very destructive force in world cricket, not just English cricket. He has a few issues and it wouldn't be a bad idea to leave him out for the time being and have some members of the coaching staff help him out with his issues. Playing someone when they're in a rut can completely exhaust an individual. It certainly affects things like morale, confidence and self belief.

Like you pointed out, a test birth now could be the beginning of the end.

I think, England could give Vince a go at the top with Roy. I don't see the point of Cook/Bell. They could have been match winning ODI cricketers in the 90's but in today's day and age they are liabilities. It's daft to put them and Hales in the same bracket.

I would give Hales a complete break from cricket for a couple of weeks and then have the England coaching chaps sort him out. I would also not have him in the starting XI of the next ODI, but a guy like him has to be in your frame for a long term period to win BIG ICC Tournaments. The guy's presence in itself is intimidating.

I wasn't suggesting Bell or Cook should be picked. One of them has retired. Just making the point that their records were a lot better. A lot of people criticised them both when they played ODI cricket, so only fair others are criticised when they do worse.

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Big Kudos to England on the cricket this summer. Fitting end to an awful series in terms of competition, be it tests or Odi's. Perhaps the t20 was the best match.

Big thumbs up to Moeen Ali. He was the unsung hero of the summer for me.

Ben Stokes and Mitchell Marsh have arrived. Watch out for those two in the future.

Smith is a terrible captain, terrific batsman.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Overall England are on the right track with ODI team and balance despite series loss. If only selectors were brave enough to try this team 6 months before world cup when everyone was calling for change.

Don't rate Toppley, personally believe Tymal Mills once he stays fit could be the left-arm serious quick bowler than ENG could want in limited overs cricket leading up to next world cup and dumb C-Trophy 2017.

bigred

Club Captain
Topley doesn't bowl as quickly as I'd hoped he would when I first saw him playing for the England under 19s. He seems to have pretty good variation though, and gets good bounce off a length.

Users who are viewing this thread