India-England-Australia Tri-series - January 2015

Who will win the Carlton Mid Tri-Series ?

• India

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • England

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Australia

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • Can't Say Anything

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Well we beat India but made it tough for ourselves. Plus side is, Finn is bowling well. Downside is we don't have an opening pair of any quality. Bell is as much of an opener as I am and Moeen just wants to slog everything. This puts pressure on Root, who for my money should be opening with Hales. Morgan not scoring again and should be dropped, but of course they went and made the second most out of form batter (behind Cook) in the English game captain. Good to see Taylor and Butler scoring.

When Cook got dropped, they should have done the same with Bell and Morgan, giving the youngsters a chance. What better way to gain experience than in a World Cup? I'm sick of the way the men in Suits are running English cricket. I don't think they watch County cricket. Us fans have been banging on about Taylor for years!

Gotta admit, think I disagree with practically everything in this post :cheers.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Nice to win and I think we'll have a fun World Cup. The main thing I want to say though, is that it's nice to see Buttler and Moeen Ali doing well. Two lads who made their way in the County game, rather than the IPL. Who'd have thunk it? ;)

bigred

Club Captain
Well we beat India but made it tough for ourselves. Plus side is, Finn is bowling well. Downside is we don't have an opening pair of any quality. Bell is as much of an opener as I am and Moeen just wants to slog everything. This puts pressure on Root, who for my money should be opening with Hales. Morgan not scoring again and should be dropped, but of course they went and made the second most out of form batter (behind Cook) in the English game captain. Good to see Taylor and Butler scoring.

When Cook got dropped, they should have done the same with Bell and Morgan, giving the youngsters a chance. What better way to gain experience than in a World Cup? I'm sick of the way the men in Suits are running English cricket. I don't think they watch County cricket. Us fans have been banging on about Taylor for years!

Are you having a laugh? Nobody else could have been captain apart from Morgan. Think he's doing a great job. His form is a slight worry, but he's played 2 terrific innings in the last two series. He's like KP. When England really need him, like in a big WC knockout game, he'll come good.

As for the two openers, Bell is a superb player in superb form. He had a bad 2014 in ODI cricket, but the selectors have shown faith and now he's scoring big. In the 7 or 8 games that Hales has been in an ODI shirt, has he done anything to suggest that he is the answer to all of our prayers? I don't think so. A lot of technical deficiencies against the swinging ball.

I think you have a slight point regarding Ali's batting. I don't think he's one of the best two openers in the country, although he's turned himself into a very decent bowler. If he's going to play, he might as well open and get us off to a flying start in 30-40% of the matches.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Are you having a laugh? Nobody else could have been captain apart from Morgan. Think he's doing a great job. His form is a slight worry, but he's played 2 terrific innings in the last two series. He's like KP. When England really need him, like in a big WC knockout game, he'll come good.

As for the two openers, Bell is a superb player in superb form. He had a bad 2014 in ODI cricket, but the selectors have shown faith and now he's scoring big. In the 7 or 8 games that Hales has been in an ODI shirt, has he done anything to suggest that he is the answer to all of our prayers? I don't think so. A lot of technical deficiencies against the swinging ball.

I think you have a slight point regarding Ali's batting. I don't think he's one of the best two openers in the country, although he's turned himself into a very decent bowler. If he's going to play, he might as well open and get us off to a flying start in 30-40% of the matches.

I'm not saying Bell is a bad player, I'm saying he shouldn't open. I wouldn't play him in ODI's personally. I like Hales, have done for a while and think he'd be a great opener given the chance to improve. Yes he's not been great, but a lot of that will be confidence.

Morgan has done nothing to deserve the captaincy and is not scoring runs. I think Joe Root should have been captain. I don't think Morgan is anything like KP, except maybe they are both attacking. There is little point in getting a century one innings and following it up with a 0 and a 2, for example.[DOUBLEPOST=1422656936][/DOUBLEPOST]
Gotta admit, think I disagree with practically everything in this post :cheers.

And I'd probably disagree with your reasons for disagreeing with me :)

bigred

Club Captain
What do you mean there's no point in scoring a hundred if two fails follow? If he succeeds in one third of his ODI innings, he's doing well. He's just scored a superb hundred in very difficult circumstances against one of the world's best teams.

My comparison to KP, was based on character and how dependable both are under pressure. They seem to play better against better teams in important games.

I don't know what team you'd have out on the park, but I don't think it would be very good.

There's only one man under pressure for his place at the moment, and that's Bopara. Don't like saying that as he's one of my favourites. Thing is, if we drop him, in my opinion we bring in someone who can bat at 6 and can bowl a bit. It's important there's a 6th bowling option just in case, and I like Buttler at 7, to finish the innings. The only person in the 30 man provisional squad that I think can do that is Samit Patel. There's certainly nobody in the 15 man squad. Think they'll bring in Ballance if he fails again on Sunday.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
Giving captaincy to a 24 year old with basically no captaincy experience when your just going into a world cup doesn't sound great to me.

Bell is also I believe the 13th highest ODI run scorer since the new ODI regulations came in.

Last edited:

bigred

Club Captain
James Faulkner is such a good one day player. Think that innings has taken this game away from England.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Crikey o'reilly! How close was that no ball??? James Taylor is incredibly unlucky there.

bigred

Club Captain
Let's hope that England have their one big performance against Australia in February 14th. Can't see it though. How will anyone beat The Aussies or South Africans?

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Magic performance from Captain Morgan again. What a player. What a captain.

Last 10 innings:-

Wow

Last edited:

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Ravi's got to be livid at Finn here. He wants him out as quickly as possible so he can guarantee his Not Out. :p

richowebbo

County Cricketer
Ravi's got to be livid at Finn here. He wants him out as quickly as possible so he can guarantee his Not Out. :p

Ravi's got to be livid that despite Woakes getting played off the park, the captain didn't bowl him!

Users who are viewing this thread