India's Tour Of Sri Lanka- August 2015

LiveLoveABD

ICC Board Member
Profile Flag
India
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I think all things considered, regardless of which of the teams it is, if the games are in the sub-continent, I think you will find India atleast, being able to cope with it. India now have the spinners that they didn't in 2011 to dominate teams in India in tests.

Also can you highlight some of the flaws.

PokerAce is spot on. We've never really suffered in these type of conditions for any length of time. Only a few weeks ago we had everyone telling us how Pakistan was a much better test side than India. Fact is, that SA and Australia aside, everyone has been poor travelers (in terms of a conditions changing environment). NZ have been doing well lately (Dubai) but it's very recent. Hell, even Australia for that matter have not been able to deal with swing (England) and spin (Dubai). SA for the last 5-6 years are the only team that have played well everywhere. But, because India have travelled so much last five years people tend to rate them as pathetic.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Lets not even talk about Aus as travellers - 1 win in Asia for 8 years !!

Add three consecutive series losses in England as well to that and it does not make for pretty reading at all. The only thing that makes India look worse as a test side is that we tend to have all our overseas assignments bulked together unlike other sides. Its mindboggling that we have`nt played a home test match since 2013! I think even the Zims would have played more home tests in that period.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Add three consecutive series losses in England as well to that and it does not make for pretty reading at all. The only thing that makes India look worse as a test side is that we tend to have all our overseas assignments bulked together unlike other sides. Its mindboggling that we have`nt played a home test match since 2013! I think even the Zims would have played more home tests in that period.
OR you can can say that India has played more matches in T20 and ODI formats then Test format. I recall the test match where Viru had played his last test match for India and completely sacked from the team. Which makes much sense that India is looking for more of limited over matches then long/5 dayer matches.

aditya123

National Board President
OR you can can say that India has played more matches in T20 and ODI formats then Test format. I recall the test match where Viru had played his last test match for India and completely sacked from the team. Which makes much sense that India is looking for more of limited over matches then long/5 dayer matches.

A lot of that did`nt make sense to me. I was referring to the lack of home tests in the last 2 years. If you actually check, the last time we played a test match in India was the Tendulkar farewell series. Its not that we have`nt played test cricket ever since. We have in fact played 16 test matches ever since, none of them home. Thats quite a streak overseas in every possible condition for a young side. We lost 7 out of those 16 away tests and won 3. With a bit of luck or with a more experienced side, we should`ve won at least 6 tests out of those. Its not as bad as people make it sound.

Its not a hopeless side as everyone said. Yes, we lost a few series in a row but the series in SA and NZ should`ve easily been 1-1 and we started off brilliantly in England and were 1-1 at the end of 3 tests there as well. If anything we are a better touring record than Australia who were whitewashed against India and Pakistan, lost both their series against England in England. For some reason, an Aussie home win against England seems to convince people that they are one of the best sides around. Yes, they are tough to beat at home but in no way world beaters outside.

Only SA can claim to be a truly all-weather side at the moment. If I were to pick another side that is fully equipped, it has to be NZ. India, Pakistan, England and Australia are all closely bunched right now. This Indian side has the ingredients to become a solid test side. I hope this moronic Shastri-led regime allows the lineup to settle down a little and not churn it constantly.

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
A lot of that did`nt make sense to me. I was referring to the lack of home tests in the last 2 years. If you actually check, the last time we played a test match in India was the Tendulkar farewell series. Its not that we have`nt played test cricket ever since. We have in fact played 16 test matches ever since, none of them home. Thats quite a streak overseas in every possible condition for a young side. We lost 7 out of those 16 away tests and won 3. With a bit of luck or with a more experienced side, we should`ve won at least 6 tests out of those. Its not as bad as people make it sound.

Its not a hopeless side as everyone said. Yes, we lost a few series in a row but the series in SA and NZ should`ve easily been 1-1 and we started off brilliantly in England and were 1-1 at the end of 3 tests there as well. If anything we are a better touring record than Australia who were whitewashed against India and Pakistan, lost both their series against England in England. For some reason, an Aussie home win against England seems to convince people that they are one of the best sides around. Yes, they are tough to beat at home but in no way world beaters outside.

Only SA can claim to be a truly all-weather side at the moment. If I were to pick another side that is fully equipped, it has to be NZ. India, Pakistan, England and Australia are all closely bunched right now. This Indian side has the ingredients to become a solid test side. I hope this moronic Shastri-led regime allows the lineup to settle down a little and not churn it constantly.
Even I agree with it. Australia is the only team which is strong in all formats played in its home grounds. We have to wait and see whether SA is truly all-weather. They are coming to India on a short tour (maybe) during spring. I hope that India gets some momentum in ODI's and T20's which they lost in WC and Tri-Series against Aus and Eng.

I am sure that BCCI are concentrating on limited overs format more then test. If they makeup their mind to have more of these test series in India then I am sure India can shine not only in sub-continent conditions but also in overseas. India has the best team co-ordination but they are failing to utilize the same. If India plays more of test series like Australia/England/South Africa etc... then there is no doubt of being at the top in ICC test ranking in the coming years.

India need players like Ganguly,Dravid,Lakshman,Zaheer,Kumble who were the stars of the team in test format. Whether it may be the home series or away (oversea) series they were the players who could win games for India. Currently, we have Virat and Pujara for some extent. While Ishant is still a growing boy in his career.

PokerAce

Banned

More ODIs than test? How is this even germane to what is being discussed. Evne if you look at limited overs cricket, India in the past 2 years have hosted one home ODI series. Against WI, which was then replaced with SL series. I don't see India having played a gazillion ODI matches at home in the past 2 yaers either. One limited overs sereis in 2 years is too much limited overs cricket for you?

Targaryen

You-Know-Who
India
RCB...
Profile Flag
India
More ODIs than test? How is this even germane to what is being discussed. Evne if you look at limited overs cricket, India in the past 2 years have hosted one home ODI series. Against WI, which was then replaced with SL series. I don't see India having played a gazillion ODI matches at home in the past 2 yaers either. One limited overs sereis in 2 years is too much limited overs cricket for you?
I didn't refer to matches hosted only in India but referred to matches played by India in sub-continents.

aditya123

National Board President
I didn't refer to matches hosted only in India but referred to matches played by India in sub-continents.
Again India have played just that one series in the sub-continent in the past 2 years.

I wanted to reply to that but you have beaten me to it. I don`t know what he is on about. Anyone who says we have played more ODIs and neglected test cricket in the last 2 years must have not followed the Indian side during that period.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
^ That is the ideal position for Rahane. He batted at number 3 because they did not want to bring in Pujara at that stage. If we have in form Pujara, he needs to bat 3 and Rahane at 5 because Rahane can also play a counter-attacking inning. The most important point for me is to see if Binny keeps his position in the final 11 or not. I don't fancy Mishra or Ashwin coming in at 7 against Steyn and co. So it will be either Binny or Rohit Sharma.

Epic

Panel of Selectors
I've just come around on the 5 bowler strategy after just outright thinking it's wrong and you guys want to go back on it... :rolleyes

SA have a mighty strong batting lineup and I'd want 3 spinners while still retaining 2 pacers, depending on the pitch.

Users who are viewing this thread