Ashes Cricket 2009: A rant

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Online Cricket Games Owned
Can the ps3 be patched though?

Going by what they're doing over at the downloads forum, I reckon some things such as incorrect names/abilities can be done on PS3 (but you can already do that yourself). As to stumps, pitchads and that other important thing....oh yes, that's right: gameplay, I doubt it. Unless Transmission do it, of course.

Eon

Club Cricketer
Yea i have to agree that the rant is a bit pointless, I find the game is the best that has been made in a long time. Cricet games cant be as good as fifa and madden etc because of the size of the budget. The Budget for a game like fifa is huge, in excess of millions of dollars because it will sell millions of copies with out question. Where as how many do you think ashes cricket 2009 will sell.. what a quarter of what fifa will sell. so the budget can not really be anywhere near to what fifa has.

So if you expect a game that has cask wine budget to taste like 1787 Chateau d'Yquem... which if you dont know is the most expensive bottle of wine ever sold... going for the low low price of $56,588.

Now I in no way mean that the game isnt good, im loving it and i can deal with a few bugs... because im not picky... but if you cant then go to uni, learn programming and multimedia and everything else you will need to know to make a video game then sit there coding and designing for 7-8 years most likely more since you will have to work as well. and then you may have a good cricket game for your self... until you do that i will enjoy ashes cricket 2009 with a smile on my face :D

FaWaD

Club Cricketer
If Codies are gonna change the developers then they can get away with another installment saying it's the first attempt by these guys.. It looks like we are the suckers in the end..

Anyways, if they are gonna change the developers again, then try to outsource the game to Sub-Continent.. The price will be less to develop and everyone there is a die-hard cricket fan.. Expect less buggy game.. Plus, creating a game in that region will make the piracy very hard.. Expect large profit margins.. Learn from iPhone manufacturing in China strategy..

In the end, if we get a quality product.. we will all be dancing :banana2 (I gotta use that smiley..)

D

Dutch

I think its pointless sayings its stupid for somebody to have a rant. Surely that is the whole concept of forums; to be able to express opinion on all sides of an argument, to discuss etcetera. I find it interesting to hear other peoples point of view and give comments and maybe advice on them. This place would be boring if the only thing you were allowed to talk about were A: this is a great game or B: which button do I press to order coffee. We are all going to have a different opinion about this game and I am for one not in the slightest bit worried that somebody's dissatisfaction is going to affect my judgement or enjoyment. Discuss!:D

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
Ashes cricket 09 is a very good game for a first attempt. Look at fifa 07 for the PS3. No one really enjoyed that. If you thought this game was going to be the perfect game you were kidding yourself.

patmoore

School Cricketer
However they have got so close to a real sim of cricket and for it to fall just short, is very annoying. That is what alot of people are consumed with.

If it were a 5/10 game, no-one would care. The fact it is a 7-7.5 game with the flaws, just demonstrates how close they were (or are!!).

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
However they have got so close to a real sim of cricket and for it to fall just short, is very annoying. That is what alot of people are consumed with.

If it were a 5/10 game, no-one would care. The fact it is a 7-7.5 game with the flaws, just demonstrates how close they were (or are!!).

Yes, well said.

gking92

School Cricketer
I agree with you that Brian Lara 99 is still the best. Even after all these years and numerous efforts since by Codemasters and EA Sports we still cannot better a 10 year old game for PS1.

The thing about it was that the timing and how far the ball travelled was realistic. In Cricket 07, everything timed close to average goes to the boundary, which is no fun. Well it is for a while, but then you get bored because of the lack of challenge that is presented by this. The same shot didn't go to the exact same place everytime, as on Cricket 07.

It was much more realistic with it's edges. On some of the others since, it has been near impossible to get an AI out caught behind or in the slips or gully (EA 07 excluded). Even timing a shot quite well you can still be out, as in real life.

If someone was to take that as the base model and then add to it, we could actually perhaps get a better game than it.

Obviously for starters the graphics and players all need an update.

You could add to the existing shots on it and add an advance option, but don't alter the timing system in place.

Obviously the bowling system would need a little work to add in a few more deliveries, stamina and an effort/speed gadge.

The one thing we've never had is bating stamina (Unless the PS3 & Xbox 360 Ashes Cricket 2009 include it as i haven't played it yet). On the Wii version of Ashes cricket 2009, there is an option to make the batsmen run faster between the wickets, but surely this is pointless unless this causes them to lose a little energy, else you can just do it every ball.

I'm beginning to wonder if we ever will get a game to better BLC 99:help

jimbob

Club Cricketer
to be honest i think our best chance or a cricket game that can be like the pro evo of cricket, qould be if the bcci made an ipl game. They are the only people that would spend enough money to make a really good game.

alfa_beta

Club Cricketer
Yea i have to agree that the rant is a bit pointless, I find the game is the best that has been made in a long time. Cricet games cant be as good as fifa and madden etc because of the size of the budget. The Budget for a game like fifa is huge, in excess of millions of dollars because it will sell millions of copies with out question. Where as how many do you think ashes cricket 2009 will sell.. what a quarter of what fifa will sell. so the budget can not really be anywhere near to what fifa has.

So if you expect a game that has cask wine budget to taste like 1787 Chateau d'Yquem... which if you dont know is the most expensive bottle of wine ever sold... going for the low low price of $56,588.

Now I in no way mean that the game isnt good, im loving it and i can deal with a few bugs... because im not picky... but if you cant then go to uni, learn programming and multimedia and everything else you will need to know to make a video game then sit there coding and designing for 7-8 years most likely more since you will have to work as well. and then you may have a good cricket game for your self... until you do that i will enjoy ashes cricket 2009 with a smile on my face :D

Well, in that case Codies shouldn't be charging us for Chateau d'Yquem (Madden NFL) when their product is closer to Zinfandel (AC 2009) ;)

Users who are viewing this thread