Ashes Cricket 2009: A rant

alfa_beta

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I find it extremely disappointing, and disheartening, that even 10 years after BLIC 1999 was released on PS1 we still haven't got a decent cricket game. Compare EAC 2009 to any of the other sports games such as NBA 2k9, MLB 2009, Madden NFL 09, FIFA 09 or Pro Evo for Soccer and the difference is apparent. If a game with so many bugs had been released for any other sport, it would have got a rating closer to 3.5 or 4 rather than a 6 or 7 which we cricket fanatics are willing to give.

The sad part is that codemasters had a decent platform to build on - I still prefer BLIC 99 or even the Sega Megadrive Brian Lara cricket released way back in early 90s (I got it in 94 and was my first cricket game on any platform) - and they have totally messed it up. Every time we feel we are close to getting a half decent game the game producers reboot the game, i.e. get a new publisher & revamp the game engine by starting from the scratch. And by half decent game I am only looking for a game without any major bugs such as no run-out bug or no AI pacing issue which simply makes the game unplayable. Yes, my expectations are so low I don't even expect a decent product - the only thing I want is it's a decent playable game and so far I am still waiting.

A note to publishers: Instead of rebooting the game every 4-5 years, see it through to the end for once by focusing on gameplay improvements every year, or two years, rather than starting from the scratch and adding bells and whistles which I (or most cricket fans) honestly don't care about. As an analogy take the case of Madden NFL series. Madden got the gameplay engine right maybe around 2005 or 06 and since then they have focused on adding tweaks to the engine and now the game is as close as it can be to the actual game. We understand a video game can never be same as the actual sport but who can honestly say that AC09 is cricket? If codemasters had stuck to BLIC 99 or even BLIC 2005 as the base platform, we could have had a decent game by now.

It seems in cricket games we actually get the best game in the first iteration and go down from there. For example I found BLIC 2005 better than BLIC 2007. Another request to the game producers - take your time and release a decent product and not some half-baked offering just to meet your timelines (ashes in this case). Cricket fans/followers would buy a good game even though Ashes, or world cup, are over. I hope EA do so and deliver a quality game later this year (heard rumors that EA will release a cricket game later this year or early next year).

I am so dejected that we go through the same cycle very couple of years - lot of hype around the new game, positive pre-reviews based on hands-on test & q/a sessions with game developers, false promises to fix gameplay bugs by the time final version rolls out and then the big crash :facepalm

And I can't even comprehend why game producers & developers take such a callous attitude toward cricket games. Cricket has a mass following in following regions/countries :-

1. India and indian subcontinent in general - Indian economy is currently 12th largest (or thereabouts) in the world and growing all the time.
2. UK
3. Australia & New Zealand
4. West Indies
5. South Africa
6. US/Canada - Has large cricket following expat population, i.e. ppl of indian/west-indian origin and lots of english/australian expats.

Granted, this is nowhere close to soccer or baseball/NFL marketshare, but at the same time this is not a small market to be sneezed at, and with the advent of 20-20 cricket (20-20 world cups and IPL), cricket's market is ever expanding.

Game producer/developers should look at cricket videogame as an opportunity and should realize that whoever gives us a decent game will get the marketshare and cricket fans in general are an extremely loyal and forgiving lot. I, for one, would buy a cricket game series every year if the game producer/publisher convinces me that they genuinely want to develop a playable cricket game and at least will put every effort to do so. Sadly I am still to be convinced that this is the case :noway

- A disappointed, dejected, disillusioned, angry, disgusted, despondent, disheartened and dispirited cricket fan

sunnykinger

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
well
transmission games has done a good job as it was their first cricket game
i want that codemasters should stick with transmission games
and i m sure that the next cricket game will be alot better
this game is also better than before

Will_NA

Chairman of Selectors
Superb article. I'll give my thoughts later when I can be arsed.

alfa_beta

Club Cricketer
well
transmission games has done a good job as it was their first cricket game
i want that codemasters should stick with transmission games
and i m sure that the next cricket game will be alot better
this game is also better than before

That's my point - codemasters keeps on changing game developers every time we think we are about to get a decent game. Knowing the track record I won't assume anymore that the next iteration would be better. BLIC 2005 and 2007 anyone?

Last edited:

bad_till_bones

Club Cricketer
That's my point - codemasters keeps on changing game developers every time we think we are about to get a decent game. Knowing the track record I won't assume anymore that the next iteration would be better. BLIC 2005 and 2007 anyone?
Agree to that on ever-changing game developers theory :doh

chaitanyaraghav

Club Cricketer
I, for one, would buy a cricket game series every year if the game producer/publisher convinces me that they genuinely want to develop a playable cricket game and at least will put every effort to do so. Sadly I am still to be convinced that this is the case :noway

I quite dont agree with this part! Transmission have said before already that this cricket game is not perfect but at the same time far better than any available, which is true! I have hopes on them that they can deliver the game we want next!

alfa_beta

Club Cricketer
I quite dont agree with this part! Transmission have said before already that this cricket game is not perfect but at the same time far better than any available, which is true! I have hopes on them that they can deliver the game we want next!

I had the same hope after BLIC 2005. Now I have given up and thus the rant. And I don't blame the game developers as cricket, like any other sports game, is a complex game to develop and developers do need some time to deliver quality product - at least a couple of iterations. But I do hold Codemasters responsible for this fiasco as they haven't grasped this simple fact, i.e. changing game developers every 2-4 years won't get you far.

gudduthemaster

International Cricketer
developing a new engine every year is nonsense(but not blc 05,it was a damn poor engine)
btw
transmission games are new,so they have no rights to tweaking old game engine:doh,
the new game engine looks solid to me,hope they will continue with this by adding some tweaks,

FitzNugly

School Cricketer
My major issue with this game so far is the Bowling - it is just awful.

The AI batting is completely ridiculous.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman

I agree.

@OP: Would you prefer we still had the devs. responsible for BLIC 2007? I haven't played the full game yet, only the demo, but since people are saying that the full game is better than the demo, I think you're being more than a little harsh here.

gudduthemaster

International Cricketer
@OP: Would you prefer we still had the devs. responsible for BLIC 2007? I haven't played the full game yet, only the demo, but since people are saying that the full game is better than the demo, I think you're being more than a little harsh here.
i saw many members are very very disappointed with this game,
honestly as cricket fan and as cricket player,i liked this, this game much much better than those Ea and BLC(except 1999)

alfa_beta

Club Cricketer
I agree.

Don't think I am being too harsh. It's just that we have given cricket game developers a free pass and I think Codemasters' grace time is up. This is their third iteration since BLIC 2005 and honestly the bugs we have so far are simply not acceptable for a third iteration of the game.

The kind of basic gameplay bugs - stupid runouts, AI pacing in tests, good length balls missing stumps etc. - should have been caught and fixed.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
Don't think I am being too harsh. It's just that we have given cricket game developers a free pass and I think Codemasters' grace time is up. This is their third iteration since BLIC 2005 and honestly the bugs we have so far are simply not acceptable for a third iteration of the game.

The kind of basic gameplay bugs - stupid runouts, AI pacing in tests, good length balls missing stumps etc. - should have been caught and fixed.

Yes, agreed; those sort of things should be fixed. However, this is not the third game - it's the first game. Transmission are a new developer to cricket games - this is their first attempt. Codies are the publisher, nothing more.

As to the bugs, I expect some if not all to be killed with a patch, or more likely a combination of P.C. made mods/patches and a couple of official patches.

However, it doesn't spoil the game entirely - you can still have a lot of fun.

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

i saw many members are very very disappointed with this game,
honestly as cricket fan and as cricket player,i liked this, this game much much better than those Ea and BLC(except 1999)

Again, going by the demo (how sick am I getting of saying that?) this pisses all over BLIC 2007, 2005 and all EA Cricket games. There are many small niggles that, as a whole, affect the game adversely, but that's all they are: little and should be easily fixed. The bounce, for example; the runout bug for another.

@OP: Which system are you playing it on?

dart-h-vader

County Cricketer
Profile Flag
India
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Err.. I find this rant a bit stupid. I know for all it is,the game is not perfect! But come on they have really done a decent job, haven't they?

How many times people used to curse EA because AI would never score? Here at least the AI is scoring something good. Don't expect an 100% perfect AI none of the games including FIFA got the best AI until many iterations.

The only major bug is the runout bug which hopefully will be addressed by them with a patch.

If you want to return the game that's up to you but such type of rants only demoralize transmission and members here!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread