Ashes Cricket 2009 v1.1 Open Beta 2

Online feature not working! Open Beta 2

I am not able to play online mode! it says the feature is not supportd by this version when press play online button! yesterday it was working fine! I have installed open beta patch 2! is this a known issue!?:eek:

I am not able to play online mode! it says the feature is not supportd by this version when press play online button! yesterday it was working fine! I have installed open beta patch 2! is this a known issue!?:eek:

It seems that everyone is having this problem - most people reckon TG are working on the patch. Let's hope for saving ability and a chat room. :)

Sorry mytimeisnow but a lot of those problems were present prepatch.

It seems that everyone is having this problem - most people reckon TG are working on the patch. Let's hope for saving ability and a chat room. :)

chat room:clap if it is we can wait for a week also

I've got an bought in BOX version of the game, bought it when it first came out.

I installed the first beta patch and then the 2nd and now when I try to play online it says:

Online play not compatible with installed version

Could some help me and tell me if there will be a version that will work for me and if so when will I be able to get it?

Thanks.....

1. Don't agree with that - the keeper always takes spinner deliveries, that's why there are a lot of stumping chances. In fact, I don't remember the keeper missing one spinner's delivery...

this does happens when the spinner bowls fuller and accidentally if u select backfoot shot the keeper leaves the ball. it goes for byes.

It has happened in numerous occassion.

I've never seen it happen (when the spinner bowls full, I always choose front foot ;) ).

Is it just me, or were the edges better in Beta 1? I haven't seen many of those beautiful flying edges, especially off front foot shots - many front foot shot edges don't seem to be carrying. It's not as bad as before beta 1, but it just doesn't seem quite as good now. Also, I think I was getting a wider range of dismissals in Beta 1. Granted, most of the LBW/bowled ones were down to the batter leaving the ball, or playing a daft shot, but the mix of caught and LBW/bowled seemed just right. Now, there are too many bowled/LBWs (but not down to leaves or stupid shots).

What does everyone else think? If I'm right and enough people agree, maybe they'll change the edges back to beta 1, because they were excellent in that.

Edit: The AI's lofted shots can get very annoying. A lofted shot should be something that happens every now and again, not every over as happens when they get 'fearless'! This 'fearless' needs sorting out - in fact, it's a bit daft, because a batsman should never be completely 'fearless'. Right now, unless you get them out in the outfield, a 'fearless' batsman is ridiculously hard to shift. Maybe the top level should be 'bold'? They don't slog as much, and they make the odd mistake; what does everyone else think? And surely the AI can be programmed to stop the slogging when the field goes back and keep the ball on the floor, thereby negating the chance of being caught in the outfield, but still picking up lots of runs? It seems as soon as 'fearless' cuts in, they just go at it, regardless of the field. I'm not saying they should never slog when the field's back, just not as often as they do now! As Shane Warne's 'Bradman' commentary suggests, keep the damn ball on the ground! Most of the time, the test cricket is very realistic, but when they bat like they are now, it's not as realistic.

(Note, all this pertains to test cricket).

Also, I think the catching ring moves far too fast for some close in catches, and almost slow motion for others, especially catches off spinners to the wicket keeper. I could've sworn that some of the close in catches I've had, unless they're to the keeper, have come at me in real time; you have almost no time to press the button at all!

Someone, I think FormulaOne, said that the AI's middle order never contributes. Well, they're sure as hell contributing in this match I'm playing right now! Aussies are 374/4.

A note about spinners: I cannot get them to produce a slower, flighted delivery, but bowling in the dark green section of the marker seems to bowl a faster ball...

That weird short ball no-ball bug is still there as well. It makes bowling short balls a little pointless, since you get one wrong and it's called a wide, it's common for any short balls that follow to be called no-ball, even if they're clearly not...

So, anyway, I suppose what we're looking for is the best of unpatched:

AI taking quick singles from defensive shots and taking easy singles when on offer.

with the best of Beta 1:

More varied methods of dismissal when bowling at AI.
Better edges.

with the best of Beta 2:

Online play restored.
Bowled/LBW usually come from beating the bat, rather than leaves/stupid shots.
Fixed bowler's stamina - you have to change your attack now, because if not you'll wear certain bowlers out.

Mix that all up (and maybe do some work on 'Mr Fearless'), and you have one hell of a final patch!!

Not too much to ask for, eh guys? ;) :laugh

Last edited:
Tbh I hate the whole catching system, especially for edges it ruins the moment. I like the see the ball actually come off the bat and then get caught with the normal camera angle...like when we are batting and the cpu edges us, it looks so awesome. But when we get an edge it just turns into matrix. Make an option for auto fielding tbh.

I cant play online after using this patch..... I cant add my friends that i used to, is it because they have the downloaded version?? :S

please help

Also, I think the catching ring moves far too fast for some close in catches, and almost slow motion for others, especially catches off spinners to the wicket keeper. I could've sworn that some of the close in catches I've had, unless they're to the keeper, have come at me in real time; you have almost no time to press the button at all!

Agreed, close catches are blindingly fast....I managed to keep only one in hand! (pure luck imo!)

You obviously didn't see the Ashes, or most recent England test cricket - the tail wags on a very regular basis now, indeed if that wasn't the case, we'd have lost at Cardiff and consequently lost the Ashes. ;)

Yeah, I knew i was digging myself into a hole when I made that comment. I'm still bitter.

It's very annoying when the fielder misfields a ball that bounces once and then reaches them, either in the outfield or close in. It seems to happen too often!

Tbh I hate the whole catching system, especially for edges it ruins the moment. I like the see the ball actually come off the bat and then get caught with the normal camera angle...like when we are batting and the cpu edges us, it looks so awesome. But when we get an edge it just turns into matrix. Make an option for auto fielding tbh.

Or change it to a default camera angle, but retain the catching ring? Auto fielding should be an option as well - as you say, the awesomeness (is that even a word?) of an edge is lost when bowling against the AI.

MasterBlaster76 added 1 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

So, anyway, I suppose what we're looking for is the best of unpatched:

AI taking quick singles from defensive shots and taking easy singles when on offer.

with the best of Beta 1:

More varied methods of dismissal when bowling at AI.
Better edges.

with the best of Beta 2:

Online play restored.
Bowled/LBW usually come from beating the bat, rather than leaves/stupid shots.
Fixed bowler's stamina - you have to change your attack now, because if not you'll wear certain bowlers out.

Mix that all up (and maybe do some work on 'Mr Fearless'), and you have one hell of a final patch!!

Not too much to ask for, eh guys? ;) :laugh

On second thoughts, shouldn't that be precisely what the final patch should do? Take the best from unpatched, beta 1 and beta 2 and mix them altogether?

Feedback on v1.1 open beta 2

Following is my feedback on the beta 2 patch

1. It is very very difficult to get edges in beta 2. I was playing Aus (AI) v/s Eng. Please help me guys if this is not right. I tried every possible trick like changing the delivery type and bowling in yellow area and also moving the cursor around until the last moment. The batsmen were fearless during this time and it was impossible later to get them out. Please help :crying

2. I felt that once the AI batsman is fearless, it is very very difficult to get him out unless he slogs like stupid.

3. The AI batting runrate is much better now with 3.0 to 3.5 RPO

4. The AI doesnt run at all many times when the ball is at long on/ off.

5. The AI hits lot of shots straight over then for e wicket with a straight bat even for short balls. These unrealistic lofted shots need to be stopped. I can easily place fielders at these places and get wickets every 5 overs even in test matches.

6. The AI bowler does not bowl pitched up deliveries. 90% of the deliveries are short outside off stump. I am bored playing the same kinds of shots for the same kind of length.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread