Australia in New Zealand

Because Cullen will get murdered, His playing agaisnt WA states, His bowling aint up to scratch for test/odi level!

And how is Hogg a better option after his 8 overs for 56 runs. That performance is really going to scare the Kiwis! :rolleyes:

aussie1st said:
And how is Hogg a better option after his 8 overs for 56 runs. That performance is really going to scare the Kiwis! :rolleyes:
well I am sure he will improve from their quickly.

I just read that Australia arn't wearing the usual Yellow uniforms. They are using their brand new Green 'Away' uniforms for the first time.

They probably won't be able to wear them against Pakistan or South Africa though.

Can't wait for this to start. Australia have arrived and its under 3 days until the first ODI

It'll be back to the yellow ones against SA. Aus the first team ever to do this I take, unless someone wants to correct me.

yeah the aus team will be wearing the away adidas uniform. They are trying to emulate the soccer international jerseys.

aussie1st said:
It'll be back to the yellow ones against SA. Aus the first team ever to do this I take, unless someone wants to correct me.
West Indies did it in 2004, I seem to recall, although their kits weren't that different.

irottev said:
They probably won't be able to wear them against Pakistan or South Africa though.
If they're designed to be away kits, then they probably will wear them when they tour those countries.

If Cullen were selected to the ODI team, I assure you he would get wickets. Integrating into an elite outfit, he could make good use of the bowling partners and fielders available to him.

He beats the batsman through the air (the greatest spinners are masters of drift and flight) and attacks them rather than restricting them (not common of offies, but a couple of successful aggressive offies are Saqlain and Murali).

As for Hogg, he's that rarest of cricketers; a left arm wrist spinner; which, whether he bowls well or not, can disrupt the oppposition's plans by simply being something hard to get good practice against. The ability to play two top class left arm bowlers should not be overrated.

andrew_nixon said:
West Indies did it in 2004, I seem to recall, although their kits weren't that different.

If they're designed to be away kits, then they probably will wear them when they tour those countries.

Thats a bit werid though as it would be hard to tell the teams apart. I'm sure the ICC will force Aus to wear a different kit.

angryangy said:
If Cullen were selected to the ODI team, I assure you he would get wickets. Integrating into an elite outfit, he could make good use of the bowling partners and fielders available to him.

He beats the batsman through the air (the greatest spinners are masters of drift and flight) and attacks them rather than restricting them (not common of offies, but a couple of successful aggressive offies are Saqlain and Murali).

As for Hogg, he's that rarest of cricketers; a left arm wrist spinner; which, whether he bowls well or not, can disrupt the oppposition's plans by simply being something hard to get good practice against. The ability to play two top class left arm bowlers should not be overrated.

Chinamen bowlers are very rare. Casson is another also from WA. Katich is another but he isn't really a bowler. They are definitely hard to play.

aussie1st said:
Thats a bit werid though as it would be hard to tell the teams apart. I'm sure the ICC will force Aus to wear a different kit.
Just looking at the England v Pakistan test on TV. Both teams wearing white, it's too hard to tell them apart.

lol good point, I was thinking more of rugby and soccer. Obviously cricket you know whose batting abd bowling.

Aussies are 'arrogant'

The Australians left yesterday for the three-match one-day series which begins in Auckland on Saturday, with matches to follow in Wellington next Wednesday and Christchurch on December 10.

Long-time Kiwi tormentor McGrath is not part of the 13-man squad after accepting an offer to rest from the series, an offer also given to Adam Gilchrist but later withdrawn after Cricket Australia overruled selectors.

In comments sure to rile Ricky Ponting's tourists, Richardson, who retired after last summer's Test series in Australia, has again taken aim at the world champions.

"In 2001 New Zealand played on the arrogance of their Australian opponents and nearly pulled off a couple of Test victories," he said.

"Australia were on a crusade to speed up Test cricket and force results.

"They set New Zealand a very makeable target at Brisbane and then nearly lost at Perth when they chased a huge target low into their batting order.

"The resting of Glenn McGrath for the Chappell-Hadlee series smacks of arrogance once again and just might be the opening the Black Caps need."

McGrath's absence will buoy Black Caps spirits after they were humbled at home 5-0 in the one-day series and 2-0 in Tests by the Australians earlier this year.

But this has been tempered by the loss of skipper Stephen Fleming for the first two matches as he recovers from a cancer scare.
The Caps have endured a largely miserable year, having recently been thumped 4-0 in the one-day series in South Africa.

McGrath's absence has enabled Australia to promote Michael Lewis, 31, who has taken more than 30 wickets for Victoria in three successive seasons.

The national selectors want to look at as many fringe candidates as possible before the 2007 World Cup and are also keen to ensure their best senior players remain fresh.

"While McGrath is only one man and Australia have many match-winners capable of single-handedly taking a game, he is a shining star," Richardson told The New Zealand Herald.

"Without him the gloss is taken off the Australian bowling unit somewhat.

"Brett Lee is more impressive in one-day cricket than Test cricket. He attacks the batsman and, with that, coughs up runs.

"A few runs as trade-off for wickets is tolerable if the other end is sewn up - McGrath's end.

"With McGrath not there, the tandem effect is not present and an opportunity is presented.

"Andrew Symonds, Brad Hogg and Cam White are handy bowlers but New Zealand's middle order should be capable of knocking them round and picking up singles through the middle of the innings.

"If the Kiwis get away to a good start, then these singles and safer play in the middle provide substance for a big score."

The Australians were furious at Richardson when they toured in February after he accused them of gamesmanship.

Richardson branded Shane Warne a master manipulator of umpires and Adam Gilchrist "a burglar".

The story spotlighted Gilchrist's record of the time at never being given out lbw in 37 home Tests and only twice in 77 one-day games in Australia, claiming the statistics were "astonishing".

"You see the way Gilly throws the ball in the air. He tends to play on his walking, his honesty, but he still tries to burgle anyone and everyone," Richardson said.

Herald Sun

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17417310-23212,00.html

I'll admit it was arrogant what the Aussies did. But the bolded bit is also arrogance as well from Rigger. He has basically said Hogg is a part timer but time and time again Hogg has shown he can produce the goods.

I wish he would shut his mouth lol.

I disagree. McGrath not there is a huge blow and all but its not like the new guys comming in are going to be bad. Infact we don't know what to expect from them. No Fleming for 2 games sucks, the main thing is is that hes alright and will most likly play the third.

Also some crap about Gilly and his walking crusade. Heard it all before Rigs :)

Clark is meant to be like McGrath so heres hoping thats true. Lewis is a good bowler and deserved this call up. At least the Aussies are trying some guys for the WC as if McGrath was injuried for 07 we at least would have backup.

I'd prefer to see Lewis ahead of Clark, not simply because he's a Vic, but as he's an opening bowler for his team. I can't see how it's a good thing that a pace bowler can be playing international cricket, when he bowls first change behind a guy who isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread