Australia in New Zealand

It is a good team that. Batting certainly alot stronger than the bowling department. This is one are which the Aussies may struggle in.

Actually Clarke is listed as comming in at 4 on cricinfo. Very Strange. One of the articles is incorrect. Symodns is also listed at 7 as opposed to 5 on the other. The fox one might be correct because it says Ricky Ponting said ... 5,6,7....

http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/nzvaus/content/story/228068.html

1 Adam Gilchrist (wk), 2 Simon Katich, 3 Ricky Ponting (capt), 4 Michael Clarke, 5 Brad Hodge, 6 Michael Hussey, 7 Andrew Symonds, 8 Brett Lee, 9 Brad Hogg, 10 Nathan Bracken, 11 Stuart Clark. Supersub: Cameron White

Last edited:
Wow, the team is really taking on a different look these days. Cam White will only be useful if we field first (and it then subbed in for Clark) which I suppose is good, slightly lessens the blow of having to chase. It's a fair batting lineup then, batting all the way down to Hoggy at 10, and Bracken's not the worst with the willow.

Lots of responsibility on Brett Lee though, particularly is Clark doesn't keep it quiet/take an early breakthrough. I'm still not convinced Hogg is up to standard even though his average with the ball (29.10) and strike rate (38.71) aren't too bad.

I'm pretty sure the foxsports one is right cause Hodge basically replace Martyn with a straight swap.

We can still use White if we bat first. We supersub one of our batters for White who can field at slip and then bowl if requried.

Yes thats a very long batting line up. If Bond does play then you will need it.

You mean if the right Bond turns up ;)
I've been waiting to face Bond again, we've waited too long to put to rest the Bond destorying Aus voodoo.

With this bug he has there is a possibility he won't perform well. He will get wickets.

I really can;t wait. Im going to miss the beginning :(

Oh dam that sucks. I want a fit Bond taken apart :p

Poor you such a big series even though the Aus selectors aren't treating it like that.

The selectors did all they could really, they have to try new bowlers sometimes and your side is still very strong.

I will be interested to see whether the Autralian batsmen try to attack Vettori. In the past they have been happy to kind of survive his 10 overs by usually only going at about a 3 economy rate. It would be a fantastic battle. It would be cool to see Vettori bamboozle some of them.

Yea I agree the selectors did the right thing although it doesn't look good when you see McGrath being rested. After seeing the PM game we don't really have any young bowlers that are ready.

As for Vettori hard to say what Aus will do. Eden Park is quite small in some parts, so they could take Vettori to the cleaners. But we haven't been able to do that to him. Infact not many teams have. I suspect we will try and get 30 runs from his 10 but avoid losing a wicket.

aussie1st said:
As for Vettori hard to say what Aus will do. Eden Park is quite small in some parts, so they could take Vettori to the cleaners. But we haven't been able to do that to him. Infact not many teams have. I suspect we will try and get 30 runs from his 10 but avoid losing a wicket.

This will be one of the more intriguing aspects of this series, how the Aussies will approach Vettori. Here are his recent ODI returns against Australia.

ICC Super Series 4/33, 0/54, 1/34
2005 Aus in NZ 0/33, 0/31, 2/31, 0/37
2004 NZ in Aus 3/31, 1/36
2004 Champions Trophy 0/52

It seems that in the absence of Bond the Aussies have felt that the only Kiwi bowler that can hurt them is Vettori, and with some justification. In the five match series earlier this year in New Zealand Vettori was as efficient as ever keeping the runs down, but the Aussies were able to deliver crushing defeats of 106 runs, 86 runs, 7 wickets and 122 runs (won the first match by 10 runs).

Bond is definately the key, if he can take 2-3 wickets per match the Kiwi's are a real show in this series, particularly given the Aussies are going through a bit of a rebuilding phase in preparation for the next World Cup.

I'd be less concerned about the strong players and more concerned about the weak links. How effective will Franklin and Mills prove?

Users who are viewing this thread