Australia in South Africa Oct-Nov 2011/12

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The question is really whether he could handle a top quality spell from both ends instead of just one, but to put it in perspective, Khawaja wasn't up to it and even Jaques, who did get a century, did so with a lot of luck. Hughes did well to face Hilfy with such composure and although we're talking about a slightly different technique now, I'd still accept a few short ball dismissals here and there in return for that.

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Oh... This Series is quite far away. Let's just hope that my interest will get back by that time. These days,,, No Cricket....

ShamiLoverGlipGlops

The Man With The Glip Glops
India
NZ....
AFG...
KKR
Avengers
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
Long time for this series. Hope Australians survive the Lankan Tigers Storm first

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer

stefan

International Coach
Going to be interesting to see how tahir goes in his first series, 100% he will get picked ahead of harris.

Only really 2 question marks in the side. The second opener, personally don't feel petersen has done enough and would rather see rudolph get another chance. Then there is the third seamer tsotsobe will probably keep his place but others like de wet and o'really are more deserving.

This would be my side:

1.Smith
2.Rudolph
3.Amla
4.Kallis
5.AB
6.Prince
7.Boucher
8.Steyn
9.Morkel
10.De wet/O'reilly
11.Tahir

War

Chairman of Selectors
Cummins has only played 3 first class matches and he's injured. Starc's first class record is pretty mediocre.

There are a fair few bowlers with better records than both Starc and Cummins.

Nathan Coulter-Nile who couldn't even make the A squad for one.

Ye i know Cummins payed 3 FC games, but i was really impressed by his raw pace & ability. Same thing with Starc in the few ODIs he played last year.

I havent seen Couter-Nile . But i have seen other impressive looking under-25 quicks such as Copeland, Kane Richardson, J Pattinson & id personally rate Cummins & Starc ahead of them for the time being.

----------

Going to be interesting to see how tahir goes in his first series, 100% he will get picked ahead of harris.

Only really 2 question marks in the side. The second opener, personally don't feel petersen has done enough and would rather see rudolph get another chance. Then there is the third seamer tsotsobe will probably keep his place but others like de wet and o'really are more deserving.

This would be my side:

1.Smith
2.Rudolph
3.Amla
4.Kallis
5.AB
6.Prince
7.Boucher
8.Steyn
9.Morkel
10.De wet/O'reilly
11.Tahir

Yep & has we have discussed before, we can only hope it happens especially given Tsotsobe was sent home quite embarrassingly from his Division 2 stint in England.

What do you think about McClaren in tests maybe?. His extra batting could be useful, since S Africa in this line-up would have a long tail as was shown in recent tests vs India.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Ye i know Cummins payed 3 FC games, but i was really impressed by his raw pace & ability. Same thing with Starc in the few ODIs he played last year.

I havent seen Couter-Nile . But i have seen other impressive looking under-25 quicks such as Copeland, Kane Richardson, J Pattinson & id personally rate Cummins & Starc ahead of them for the time being.
But you did say you'd want to see them playing a Test before the others. Cummins is a dazzling prospect, but is also some way from being fit enough to get through a Test at good pace. One could see perhaps half a dozen bowlers making a Test debut before him.

stefan

International Coach
----------

[/COLOR]

What do you think about McClaren in tests maybe?. His extra batting could be useful, since S Africa in this line-up would have a long tail as was shown in recent tests vs India.

Definitely an option especially with us having an attacking spinner now in tahir, means we can play a more defensive third seamer.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Cummins needs at least another season before he is even in the frame for Test selection. Apart from getting his fitness sorted, he still needs to learn the FC trade.

venom2011

Club Cricketer
I'd go for Rudolph at the top as well and I think Kirsten would definitely be pushing for such a change.

McLaren or Albie Morkel at 7 would improve the balance of the side as Boucher at 7 will always look light on batting. Even perhaps Botha if conditions call for it.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
And speak of the devil, Patrick Cummins is now a CA contracted player; as is James Pattinson.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
ODI and T20I teams are named next week. Test team named late October. Can only see Bollinger making the squad replacing Pattinson. Maybe SOK pushing out Beer.

War

Chairman of Selectors
ODI and T20I teams are named next week. Test team named late October. Can only see Bollinger making the squad replacing Pattinson. Maybe SOK pushing out Beer.

Those two selection certainly should be made for the tests.

While in the T20 squad Nannes, Tait, M Hussey HAVE to be recalled and hopefully Wade is selected as the T20 keeper ahead of Paine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread