Australia in South Africa Oct-Nov 2011/12

Rehan_24

Panel of Selectors
Hmmm... This series will be a real challenge for Mr.Clarke 11. Looking forward to it

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I don't think Nannes gets a call - and I hope he doesn't either. There are a THOUSAND young fast bowlers in Australia (which you keep emphasising :p). There is no need to go back to Nannes for the sake of a couple of trivial T20 games in SA. Give the kids a go and lets see what they've got. We already know what Nannes has got and if he's needed in future for the 'important' T20s, then he can fit right in. But 2 overseas T20s that 2% of Australia will care about? No.

Mike Hussey probably doesn't need to be there either. Lets see what Ferguson or Smith or Birt or Finch has got. Unless Hussey's planning on playing in the 2012 T20 World Cup - then there is an argument for squad development, but even then I'd rather the selectors build a younger squad.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Come WC time Nannes, Hussey and co if they are still playing can be called up at the drop of a hat and come in and perform. So yea better to see how unproven players go to see if we can unearth a T20 star.

Can't see Wade getting the nod just the way our selectors are. Paine has a good T20 record so not too fussed if he is picked as long as he opens else Wade definitely should be in there.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Come WC time Nannes, Hussey and co if they are still playing can be called up at the drop of a hat and come in and perform. So yea better to see how unproven players go to see if we can unearth a T20 star.

Can't see Wade getting the nod just the way our selectors are. Paine has a good T20 record so not too fussed if he is picked as long as he opens else Wade definitely should be in there.

Which is the problem - he shouldn't. AUS already have a settled opening T20 pair in Watson/Warner and Marsh is their is also as back-up.

So the new T20 keeper has to bat down the order and Wade is better late overs slogger for that position than Paine.

----------

I don't think Nannes gets a call - and I hope he doesn't either. There are a THOUSAND young fast bowlers in Australia (which you keep emphasising :p). There is no need to go back to Nannes for the sake of a couple of trivial T20 games in SA. Give the kids a go and lets see what they've got. We already know what Nannes has got and if he's needed in future for the 'important' T20s, then he can fit right in. But 2 overseas T20s that 2% of Australia will care about? No.

Mike Hussey probably doesn't need to be there either. Lets see what Ferguson or Smith or Birt or Finch has got. Unless Hussey's planning on playing in the 2012 T20 World Cup - then there is an argument for squad development, but even then I'd rather the selectors build a younger squad.

They are alot of impressive young fast-bowlers in AUS - yes, but none of them are have proven themselves to be one of the best T20 bowlers in the world as Nannes as done.

As i always say its ridiculous how some fans and the previous idiot selection panel have treated Nannes, he would walk into any international team T20 & some ODI XIs in a heartbeat. But some AUS fans & that panel have disgracefully as some sort of luxury option that they can pick on & off, when they feel like.

Those T20s in S Africa also by no means is trivial, why would you say that?.

Given the ICC is still treating T20s like exhibition matches and is not scheduling at least 3 matches per tour, every little T20 international now is important. Its one year to the T20 WC & you got to start building your squad & you are only going to know what is your best team by mixing young players with established seniors.

Plus its not as if AUS T20 team is in shambles that they suddenly have to pick a plethora of unnecessary young players like the Windies have done, in order to hurry up a find a proper XI again. AUS should be consolidating their strongest XI, so each of them can know their roles well between now and the W Cup.

Even if the selectors want to try youngsters between now and next year - thats fine. But as we all know the dumb hidlitch co before hand, never explain this as their intentions fans/supporters/media etc. They also treated have Nannes like crap, which made him go and play for Holland before they caught their senses and picked, one cannot be sure what their true intentions behind his selection/non-selection is.

The only senior player understandably who should not be in the T20 squad is Harris.

Doodlesweaver

Club Cricketer
Which is the problem - he shouldn't. AUS already have a settled opening T20 pair in Watson/Warner and Marsh is their is also as back-up.

So the new T20 keeper has to bat down the order and Wade is better late overs slogger for that position than Paine.

----------

They are alot of impressive young fast-bowlers in AUS - yes, but none of them are have proven themselves to be one of the best T20 bowlers in the world as Nannes as done.

As i always say its ridiculous how some fans and the previous idiot selection panel have treated Nannes, he would walk into any international team T20 & some ODI XIs in a heartbeat. But some AUS fans & that panel have disgracefully as some sort of luxury option that they can pick on & off, when they feel like.

Given the ICC is still treating T20s like exhibition matches and is not scheduling at least 3 matches per tour, every little T20 international now is important. Its one year to the T20 WC & you got to start building your squad & you are only going to know what is your best team by mixing young players with established seniors.

Plus its not as if AUS T20 team is in shambles that they suddenly have to pick a plethora of unnecessary young players like the Windies have done, in order to hurry up a find a proper XI again. AUS should be consolidating their strongest XI, so each of them can know their roles well between now and the W Cup.

Even if the selectors want to try youngsters between now and next year - thats fine. But as we all know the dumb hidlitch co before hand, never explain this as their intentions fans/supporters/media etc. They also treated have Nannes like crap, which made him go and play for Holland before they caught their senses and picked, one cannot be sure what their true intentions behind his selection/non-selection is.

The only senior player understandably who should not be in the T20 squad is Harris.

They should play Nannes and leave Johnson out for this tour. Let him concentrate on trying to be a decent test bowler. I agree, I think Nannes has been short-changed but I guess they don't want to pay for too many tour places these days.

teamindia

Club Cricketer
Should be good series. Wonder if Guru Gary can carry his magic on ..:thumbs

sifter132

Panel of Selectors

Trivial perhaps is a little strong, but those 2 matches have no effect on a ranking of any type and they will be followed by a pretty low percentage of Australians (because of TV coverage, locality and the fact that they are T20s which many are sceptical of). If there are any matches to pick your an experimental team for, it's one-off or two-off overseas T20s. Experimental's a bad word, but I just don't see the point of picking the best XI possible for those games when younger players could be tried and tested.

Exactly, the ICC is treating the matches like exhibitions. I think the matches might help for the WC next year, but I don't think they'll help much. If Australia really want to get a better T20 squad they should be holding special T20 camps/matches during the Test match series or in other appropriate downtime, playing against states/other teams and gelling as a unit. That would be MUCH more useful than getting together for a week and playing 2 random T20Is every 3 months.

So if your team was (roughly :)): 1) Warner, 2) Watson, 3) Marsh, 4) White, 5) S.Smith, 6) Christian, 7) Paine/Wade, 8) O'Keefe/Doherty, 9) Hastings, 10) Bollinger, 11) Tait, it would be pretty easy to get together and work as a squad while the Test team is on duty. Add in Ferguson, Finch, Mitchell Marsh, McKay and some young bowlers and there is very little overlap with the Test side (only Watson and Marsh, maybe Bollinger if he gets another shot). THAT'S how I think a T20 side should be run, it should be dominated by non-Test players, it should run on it's own training schedule and it should have it's own coach: one of the younger upcoming ones like Lehmann or Berry.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Trivial is a bit dismissive, but they are rather inconsequential. It almost seems mandated that you don't play anyone who is locked in for your World T20 squad, because the lab time is precious.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Paine is out with injury so Wade gets the chance to push his claim in the T20 side and be backup to Haddin in the ODI side. Hastings also out so Pattinson might get a bit more gametime.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The 14-man Twenty20 squad is:
Cameron White (c), Shane Watson (vc), Doug Bollinger, Patrick Cummins, Aaron Finch, David Hussey, Brett Lee, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Stephen O?Keefe, James Pattinson, Steven Smith, Matthew Wade, David Warner

The 14-man ODI squad is:
Michael Clarke (c), Shane Watson (vc), Doug Bollinger, Patrick Cummins, Xavier Doherty, Brad Haddin, Mike Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee, Shaun Marsh, James Pattinson, Ricky Ponting, Steven Smith, David Warner

Cricket Australia > Latest News > News

Interesting sides being picked. Ferguson unlucky not to be Dussey replacement. Smith lucky to keep his spot, Warner will be pushing him for that last batting spot in the side. Would like to see Warner opening if he was in the team given how he went for the A side but he could be what we need at 7. Some serious fast tracking going on with Cummins and Mitch Marsh.

ferg512

International Coach
I'm not really that sure what to think of the Cummins selection really. I mean he has talent but they are going to chuck this young kid in there when he hasn't even got a domestic one day wicket?! I like Cummins but at this stage I think there are more bowlers deserving of a spot than him. To me it seemed like he needed at least another 2 seasons of domestic cricket before even being thought about.

----------

Also, where the heck is Ferguson?! Obviously not very popular at all with the selectors I wonder what he has done wrong. Not too sure about the Warner selection not much point him being there if Marsh and Watson are definitely going to open.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
5th seamer, big deal. Pattinson and Hastings played one ODI in Sri Lanka. More value in development at this point of the cycle and I don't think there are too many veteran options anyway. Not beyond the ones who are already a part of the strategy.

AnshtheDj

Club Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm really looking forward to see AUS-SA battle it out in South Africa. The Proteas are coming back from an off-season with new limited overs captain. Will be a tough tour for the new captain against an Australian side, that has just had an triumphant Sri Lanka tour.

Saddest part is test series being cut down to 2 test matches to accomodate Champions League T20. Not good for test cricket or for that matter, world cricket in general.

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
I'm not really that sure what to think of the Cummins selection really. I mean he has talent but they are going to chuck this young kid in there when he hasn't even got a domestic one day wicket?! I like Cummins but at this stage I think there are more bowlers deserving of a spot than him.

Lets just hope how he can handle the task, the Aussies need some more quicks. At the moment I can only think of a few bowlers who can actually, regularly bowl 89+

Users who are viewing this thread