Australia tour of New Zealand 2010

Once again Vettori is out there trying to get NZ out of another mess left by the top order. I wonder when we'll ever see a time when NZ will have a world class top order. Other teams just seem to come by theirs so easily. I suppose it can't be avoided in a rugby mad nation.

Just what Clarke needed too now thats he's nearing that age where he should be in prime form, some big tons. Remember Ponting around 2002? Just started to cream some really big tons and his average went crazy for a few years, really piled on the tons from the start of that Pak series in 2002. Clarke is at that age now.

Once again Vettori is out there trying to get NZ out of another mess left by the top order. I wonder when we'll ever see a time when NZ will have a world class top order. Other teams just seem to come by theirs so easily. I suppose it can't be avoided in a rugby mad nation.

And one where we only have 4 million people too.

Just what Clarke needed too now thats he's nearing that age where he should be in prime form, some big tons. Remember Ponting around 2002? Just started to cream some really big tons and his average went crazy for a few years, really piled on the tons from the start of that Pak series in 2002. Clarke is at that age now.

Where was Ponting batting in 2002? (batting position)

I just don't understand why NZ's Test match top 3 always seems to be their 3 most technically suspect players. I know people mention the talent pool, but there's got to be much more to it. Richardson wasn't an exceptional talent, but he had the tools to bat all day.

Where was Ponting batting in 2002? (batting position)

Ponting's 2nd stint at number 3 started on the 2001 tour to England. Did ok after a slow start, but really fired at the start of the 02/03 season, hammered Pakistan at Colombo on Day 1, one of his best tons- Waqar, Wasim, Saqlain too.

We really need to get rid of McIntosh, his running between the wickets is horrific, it's bad enough he's a useless batsman in his own right, it's even worse that he is costing other people their wickets.

Michael Clarke has got 2 PB's in 2 innings :hpraise just remembered

Yup, I picked this up too. Also remembered that he's got a phenomenal record against NZ. Made a ton on debut against them, a 98 and 110 last time (IIRC) and now a big 168. Not sure how he went in that 2005 away series.

They did to some extent, were in a winning position a few times. I think we need to wait for another day or 2 and Owzats comment will come to fruition.

I just don't understand why NZ's Test match top 3 always seems to be their 3 most technically suspect players. I know people mention the talent pool, but there's got to be much more to it. Richardson wasn't an exceptional talent, but he had the tools to bat all day.

I'd like to know the reason behind that also, but if I had too guess I'd say the quality of pitches the fairly average bowling, and some of the dire selections is a reason for it.

Look at some of the guys over the last 18 months that have opened for New Zealand or batted at three:

Tim McIntosh
Jamie How
Peter Ingram

Both Auckland's and Central's home ground pitches are as flat as anything, batsmen who play a lot of cricket at these two grounds really should be looked at more closely when playing away around the country.

BJ Watling
Martin Guptill
Daniel Flynn

They haven't done anything in domestic first-class cricket, nothing at all. I think between them they have something like seven first-class 100's (with Flynn having four of them). How are batsmen suppose to do well at a higher level when they've basically done nothing at the level below? All three of them are pretty players too watch bat, but if they haven't scored big, big runs in domestic cricket the chances of them doing it at test level are very slim.

Domestic coaches around the country really should start drumming into batsmen that instead of developing a game to succeed at domestic cricket, that they should develop one that will succeed at the international level.

A nice start to the morning, guess Vettori moving footwork wasn't quite ready. Nicely done by Harris.

aussie1st added 6 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

Well done NZ looks like they have changed their procedures in regards to the non striker checking for no balls. Harris again over steps and probably had McCullum plumb.

Users who are viewing this thread