Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

Funny how many batsmen retire "hurt" after making 100 or 50 in a warm up game.

Doesn't matter how you do it, it's whatever secures you that all important Not Out for your precious career average that matters, don't worry about the spirit of the game.

Last edited:
dont think any of them care about any avg other than there international one an trial/warmup matches dont count towards that.

Reason they retire on 50 or 100 is they have been out there long enough to hopefully get used to conditions find form etc.
So they retire to let other players get a chance to do the same. Or give the bowlers a chance to get more bowling.
They would rather retire than give opposition a cheap wicket.

It was more of giving the other batsmen a chance. That's why the openers in our 2nd innings retired 'hurt'. So they could give others a chance.

I know that, but I heard Katich actually bruised his arm. Piss weak excuse though :p

I feel we got a lot out of that match, North should have secured his spot, and I think our line up is sorted, except for who gets the 2 spots out of Bollinger, Hilfenhaus and McGain. Personally, I would go in that order, because Bollinger and Hilfenhaus have a future, or should I say a future that will last longer than 12-18 months.

Funny how many batsmen retire "hurt" after making 100 or 50 in a warm up game.

Doesn't matter how you do it, it's whatever secures you that all important Not Out for your precious career average that matters, don't worry about the spirit of the game.

What are you talking about? The tour matches are about giving everyone a chance. Not about averages at all. :rolleyes:

Just because they retired doesn't mean they did it for their averages...

Note:
- Katich wasn't opening.
- Hughes, North and McDonald all had a claim to make and were batting in the top 3.
- Johnson came out before Ponting.
... and emphasising, Ponting would never give away his #3 just like that!

I know that, but I heard Katich actually bruised his arm. Piss weak excuse though :p

I feel we got a lot out of that match, North should have secured his spot, and I think our line up is sorted, except for who gets the 2 spots out of Bollinger, Hilfenhaus and McGain. Personally, I would go in that order, because Bollinger and Hilfenhaus have a future, or should I say a future that will last longer than 12-18 months.

Yeah, but don't think for a moment the hierarchy won'tbe worried about over rates.

They cant not pick mcgain
what is the point of taking the old fart if there not going to play him?
So he will def be in the team + 3 quicks

North should play after that performance in the warm up game. The Wanderers pitch won't have anything in it for the spinners so we can go North + 4 fast bowlers. But McGain has to play in the other 2 games IMO. If North is our no.1 spinner we will struggle big time.

Hughes
Katich
Punter
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger/McGain

They cant not pick mcgain
what is the point of taking the old fart if there not going to play him?
So he will def be in the team + 3 quicks

To play in the next 2 games I guess, unless they too are green tops. This gives the selectors one more game to decide on who should be the 3rd quick when McGain is needed. I just hope they don't play McDonald at 8 as that would be as stupid as playing White at 8. If we wanted a tall hit the deck bowler then Dorey or Magoffin should have toured.

North should play after that performance in the warm up game. The Wanderers pitch won't have anything in it for the spinners so we can go North + 4 fast bowlers. But McGain has to play in the other 2 games IMO. If North is our no.1 spinner we will struggle big time.

Hughes
Katich
Punter
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger/McGain

Agree with this. The only concern is if Clarke is still injured, then we'd have to go with 5 bowlers (since Mac is not international standard). Either that or ship over Hussey.

Seems aus will be playing an all seam attack. The pitch is predict to seam and swing with all the rain that's been around Joburg.

Boy, I really hope that Hughes does well, would be so great for cricket, a new boy sticking it to the best team around (on form).

Boy, I really hope that Hughes does well, would be so great for cricket, a new boy sticking it to the best team around (on form).

I hope he has a similar tour to how Haydens first tour went when faced up to Donald and Pollock at their best.:D

As expected no spinner has been named but I got a bad feeling McDonald will get in the side as a bowler which would be just stupid as hes not good enough to play as a bowler alone.

Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Doug Bollinger, Brad Haddin, Ben Hilfenhaus, Phillip Hughes, Mike Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Simon Katich, Andrew McDonald, Marcus North, Peter Siddle.

Do any Kiwi's know if we are getting this game? I was just checking the Sky guides and it doesn't appear that we are. Normally we get all home SA games unless they are playing Bangladesh or Zimbabwe.

Users who are viewing this thread