Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

Not a bad line-up, that batting gets a little weak after 5 though. Haddin has proved himself, but he's not reliable. North and McDonald aren't reliable batsmen either, at least on the international stage as we haven't seen a lot. Very very inexperienced bowling line-up, in terms of international experience.

Siddle should be very good in South Africa, he's got Clarks accuracy and he's not to far under Lee's pace. He can seam it and swing it so has to be a certainty for the new ball. Hopefully we bat first and I get to see some Hughesy action before I go to bed.

Terrible line up fielded by the Aussies. We are playing on a good wicket for pace bowlers, so we decide to play a dibbly-dobbly 120-130kph bowler who shouldn't post much threat to the South African batsmen, instead of a 135-150kph left arm bowler who swings it both ways at pace and has a very quick bouncer. Dire selection, makes me feel as if we should lose.

I could do a better job than the current selectors, no doubt about it. Lets just hope that McDonald comes in at 8, Haddin has to remain in the top 7.

Bollinger would be a better option over McDonald. McDonald isn't even a reliable bat, so it's kind of pointless. Bollinger, Hily, Johnson and Siddle would have made the perfect bowling attack. 2 Left armers, one who is very quick and has a good bouncer and can swing it at times (Johnson) and another that is a great swinger of the ball and bowls at pace (Dougie). Then we have the 2 right armers, one who is also a great swinger of the ball (Hilfy) and one who can cover pace, swing and seam when on form (Siddle).

I can see the selectors point of reasoning tbf. McDonald is a tight and accurate bowler, hitting the cracks and seaming the ball so he would be good on a green top. His accuracy would provide the pressure we will lack with Hauritz not on tour. Hilfy, Dougie, Johnson and Siddle could all go for runs so we do need that stability.

North really is an interesting inclusion, his batting is good at the best of times, and I'm not convinced on his spinners. Whether he can cut it as our number 1 spinner, providing Clarke's fitness will be interesting to watch. I feel McDonald will take up Hauritz role of providing the pressure, and I doubt we will see North much. I expect McDonald to bowl around 30 overs tbh. If Clarke is fit enough to bowl, we could see him bowl 15 or so overs but I don't expect to see North for anything more then 12 overs.

Hmm....So we have named a medium bowler/all rounder to bat 8 ahead of a front line bowler who has been taking stacks of wickets in FC cricket, and bat?

Dumb selections to say the least.

Knew it these dumb selectors never learn anything. And why are we batting it's meant to be swinging around heaps on the first day.

Poor Phil Hughes, rubbish shot though tbh, should have gone up and over!

Dunno what happened with that delivery to Ponting, looking forward to seeing the replay, Boucher seemed convinced.

Edit: off the pad, good call

Hughes gone.

Can somebody tell me where I can watch this online, or listen to the game online?

Only thing worse would've been a Golden Duck on Debut. Just brilliant. And yes, McDonald doesn't really even bat that well.

Wow, South Africa are going to win this easily.

Stupid selection and a stupid decision at the toss.

And it's started, Hughes gets a quacker on debut, feel gutted for him actually.

Oh Hughes :( That's why I wanted us to bowl first, asking Hughes to bat on this pitch in his first test was always going to lead to him getting out cheaply.

Is there another opener in the squad? Or are they going to give Hughes a good run in the side?I hope they give him a decent run in the side, to give him a chance to establish himself.

Users who are viewing this thread