Australia tour of South Africa, 2008/09

karnog

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Katich and Hughes have opened together which is good. Australia need good starts to reduce the middle order pressure especially when 2 of them are no where near the best (Hussey and Ponting). South Africa are poor players of leg spin but of late (last 2 years) they played well against Kumble and i think Chawla. I'm just worried about our bowling. Barring Johnson the others don't have that X factor which guys like Gillespie and Lee had back in their prime.

bushy

Club Cricketer
Cam white should be in there at 6 great batsman when his get a real chance

he was stuck with the tailenders in india

Brady

School Cricketer
South Africa will be way too strong for Australia in both the test's and One day matches.

Tests: 3-0 South Africa.

ODI: 4-1 South Africa.

T20: Drawn Series.

stefan

International Coach
Katich and Hughes have opened together which is good. Australia need good starts to reduce the middle order pressure especially when 2 of them are no where near the best (Hussey and Ponting). South Africa are poor players of leg spin but of late (last 2 years) they played well against Kumble and i think Chawla. I'm just worried about our bowling. Barring Johnson the others don't have that X factor which guys like Gillespie and Lee had back in their prime.

That's a bit unfair. That reputation comes from what shane warne did against us. We haven't struggled against many legg spinner or off spinners for that matter.

When we first got back into international cricket we struggled against spin because spin was rarely bowled at the domestic level. But we have improved a lot since then and most of our players are very competent vs spin.

Also in South African conditions the only player to have done very well since we came back into international cricket is Shane Warne. Murali and the rest have a very poor record in SA conditions.

Never seen Mcgain bowl but what I will say is he will have to something special to have success on our wickets. They don't favor spin. The only pitch that helps spinners is centurion and it will only host one 20/20 and an odi.

stefan

International Coach
The SA squad for the first two tests were announced. Basicly the same squad who toured Aus with the exception of prince, van jaarsveld and zondeki not being part of it and going back to domestic cricket.

The right decision was made with sticking with JP. bad luck for prince but that's the way things go.

Prince overlooked for first two Tests
Cricinfo staff
February 11, 2009

JP Duminy's stirring performances in Australia have forced South Africa's selectors to pick him head of Ashwell Prince ? Getty Images

Ashwell Prince has been left out of the first two Tests against Australia at home, as South Africa picked the 11 who played the three Tests in Australia recently, as well as left-arm swing bowler Lonwabo Tsotsobe. Tsotsobe is the 12th player in the squad for the Johannesburg and Durban Tests, while Prince, Robin Peterson and Monde Zondeki have been dropped.

Selection convener Mike Procter said it was a "difficult decision" to leave out Prince. "We are in the fortunate position of having seven world-class batsmen competing for six positions. It is a very healthy position for South African cricket," said Procter. "Ashwell is understandably bitterly disappointed but he appreciates that he has not had the opportunity to play much cricket since his injury."

Prince averaged 75 in the successful Test series against England last summer but missed the Test series in Australia due to a broken thumb.

"Tsotsobe performed very impressively from limited opportunities in Australia and he gives us extra bowling variety and depth," said Procter. "We are monitoring Mark Boucher's recovery from injury and we are confident that he will be fit to play by the time the series starts."

Mickey Arthur, South Africa's coach, said the recent tour to Australia demonstrated the depth that the team had developed in the batting and bowling departments. "This augurs well for the Test squad going forward into another tough series against Australia. There is also the No. 1 ICC Test ranking at stake which will make the upcoming series even more special for players and supporters."

South African captain Graeme Smith, who is all set to make a comeback from injury by turning out for the Cape Cobras against the Dolphins at Newlands, said the side's success over the past seven months gave them plenty to build on. "We are all looking forward to getting back into the five-day game and the particular challenges that it poses," said Smith. "It will also be wonderful to be playing on our own grounds again in front of our own supporters."

The first Test starts on February 26, while the Durban match begins on March 6.

South Africa Test squad: Graeme Smith (capt), Hashim Amla, Mark Boucher (wk), AB de Villiers, JP Duminy, Paul Harris, Jacques Kallis, Neil McKenzie, Morne Morkel, Makhaya Ntini, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.

? Cricinfo

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
wow Prince is really unfortunate and he must be frustrated. He was South Africas best middle order batsman last year and than he gets dropped.

stefan

International Coach
wow Prince is really unfortunate and he must be frustrated. He was South Africas best middle order batsman last year and than he gets dropped.

You can't really leave JP out after the way he performed. The only other option was shuffling the batting lineup which also isn't something you want to do. AB and amla have been great at number 3 and 5 for us, you can't move them from where they are good.

The only other option was prince opening in place of mckenzie.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
The justification is based on match fitness. By the time the tour starts, it will have been 3 months since Prince's last first class match. In fact, in this time he's only had 50 balls worth of T20s. South Africa do not need a player to rush back without match fitness, so they can well afford to make this decision.

dhayalan

School Cricketer
After Australia's loss to South Africa in Australia. It is merely impossible for Australian's to make a comeback. They also don't have symonds in their squad.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
After Australia's loss to South Africa in Australia. It is merely impossible for Australian's to make a comeback. They also don't have symonds in their squad.

HAHA - that gave me my good laugh for the day.

Firstly, Australia were in front in all 3 tests this summer, just the bowlers couldn't finish the SA guys off. Aussies could easily have won the series with a bit of luck. Sure the conditions will favour SA now they are at home, but impossible to beat them??? Hopefully the SA team are thinking like that, complacency would be a great weapon.

And Symonds not being there...well he's good if he's making runs. And smashing 130 odd for the Gold Coast Dolphins after being dropped once or twice doesn't count. Considering the guy has made a whopping 2(!!!) Test centuries, he is hardly essential to the side. And one of those centuries v India last summer he shouldn't have made anyway. Ishant Sharma had him caught behind for 30, but eagle eye Bucknor didn't hear the massive knick or see the deflection. And if I remember right there were a couple of LBWs he probably should have suffered in his other century v England. One from Monty I remember when he was about 50.

Bottom line is that Symonds is reckless and needs a lot of luck and while he is out of form he's about the last guy I want walking to the crease.

TruSachFan

Club Cricketer
^^ You also forgot the 2 stumpings that Symonds escaped where one was referred, but even the technology was too much to handle for the elite umpire.

P.S. I'm not ranting. Just wanted to clear it up. :D

Yogy

Club Cricketer
HAHA - that gave me my good laugh for the day.

Firstly, Australia were in front in all 3 tests this summer, just the bowlers couldn't finish the SA guys off. Aussies could easily have won the series with a bit of luck. Sure the conditions will favour SA now they are at home, but impossible to beat them??? Hopefully the SA team are thinking like that, complacency would be a great weapon.

And Symonds not being there...well he's good if he's making runs. And smashing 130 odd for the Gold Coast Dolphins after being dropped once or twice doesn't count. Considering the guy has made a whopping 2(!!!) Test centuries, he is hardly essential to the side. And one of those centuries v India last summer he shouldn't have made anyway. Ishant Sharma had him caught behind for 30, but eagle eye Bucknor didn't hear the massive knick or see the deflection. And if I remember right there were a couple of LBWs he probably should have suffered in his other century v England. One from Monty I remember when he was about 50.

Bottom line is that Symonds is reckless and needs a lot of luck and while he is out of form he's about the last guy I want walking to the crease.

Bucknor knows that Symonds is out. Bucknor had itching problems. so,he used his finger for scraching his head instead of giving symonds out.

Mr.Cricket

Club Cricketer
They shouldve picked Prince for the first test. I am happy to see McKenzie in the team though.

If Boucher is unfit then we'll see a top 7 that could rival the Aussies' one of a few years ago ( Gilchrist at 7), with AB at 7.

We don't mind it at all. Its not smart to have a part time keeper in a test match. One or two drop catches can cost you the game/series.

Users who are viewing this thread