Australian Domestic Cricket

This is just getting ridiculous..

Malinga agrees to T20 deal with Tasmania

Lasith Malinga has agreed in principle to join Tasmania and Sri Lanka's frontline spinners, Muttiah Muralitharan and Ajantha Mendis, are close to signing with Victoria and South Australia respectively for next season's Twenty20 Big Bash competition. The news comes amid rumours that Queensland are contemplating a scenario in which Andrew Flintoff - whom they almost signed last season - would play the latter stages of the tournament at the conclusion of England's tour of South Africa.

Well we can give up on being competitive in T20 cricket, we aren't going to have any young spinners showing their worth. But as long as this doesn't flow on to our Shield comp I will accept this. And CA need to make a rule that a team needs to pick a spinner for every FC match.

They're only on 50K aren't they. I'm surprised they would play for that much.

Apparently Crostwhaite is headed to NSW, read that in The Age.

Hehe not often NSW takes players from other states but it seems our keeping stocks have hit rock bottom. He has potential, I hope we can bring it out in him but Smith would have first rights to the keeping gig.

its confusing really this whole Crosthwaite move, he left Victoria because he wanted to be playing both forms of the game not just one as he was and he goes to NSW where the hierarchy there think Smith is the best gloveman in the country (taking out Haddin of course). So he will be battling it out with Smith for a position and is no better than he was with Wade in Victoria.

It seems every day were reading and hearing about overseas players joining our clubs for the Twenty20 comp. For me, part of the enjoyment of watching that competition is watching some of the younger talent who wouldn't normally get a game in the OD or FC competitions and with more overseas players, this is killing this aspect.

Oohh Crosthwaite :D Aint a bad steal there for NSW. We need a decent keeper. Gotta love Barney but he just wasn't solid enough.

Not liking that much. Warner down at 6 raises a lot of questions especially coming in after Henriques and he is the last solid batsmen left. What if we go 4/50, which could happen. We need Warner, Barney, and Steven to save us.

Jaques
Hughes/Watson
Khawaja/Watson
Thornley
Forrest/Watson
Henriques
Steven Smith
Daniel Smith
Bracken
Cameron
Bollinger

That would be the team I think the selectors would go with. Personally I would rather our exact team from last year except maybe for a few of the youngsters like Khawaja not getting rotated as much. We don't need Watson.

What can I say I love Warner :) He did well in his FC debut and can't be any worst than Thornely. And we've been 4 down lots of times last season and most of them lead to us being bowled for under 200 so again Warner can't go any worst. I think Watson sees himself as a 3, he certainly shouldn't be opening when we have Hughes and Khawaja.

I dunno, Thornley is an experienced head. As much of a terrible batsmen he is we don't know how much influence he has on the field or in the pavillion. For every youngster you need a strong head next to him.

I keep forgetting Khawaja is a opener actually but Watto is a pretty good opener. I wouldn't mind him there.

Just don't think we can carry someone if they aren't performing with the bat. And a number of the guys will have had 1 or 2 seasons under their belt now.

Watson is a terrible FC opener, his average is like 1 or something after 5 games. He tried it at Queensland and got duck after duck.

Yeah but Thornley is our captain too. The other guy who could be captain would be Jaques but I'm just not sure. We need The Dom. As much as I pay him out we could well do with him. Personally I do think we can carry the extra batsmen though as I would put him in for Steve Smith. I like to talk him up as a prospect but he's a bit behind the other young stars and could do with a bit more grade cricket and to decide what aspect (batting or bowling) he wants to improve on because atm he's a bit of both and he's not very good at either. I would probably say batting will become his best skill.

Oh, I remember him getting quick a few ducks and that's why I constantly get surprised when people show me he's half decent. Didn't know he got those at opener though lol.

Well he will be picked but if he fails with the bat I will be calling for his head again. Can't have a captain not leading by example. England cut their losses with Vaughan once his batting fell away and Thornely isn't in the class of him.

Watson always performs at domestic level, he didn't have a FC average of 50 by fluke and its at 45 right now. Will be handy in the bowling department too, he produces at this level as he did at the Gabba with his 6 fer.

Users who are viewing this thread