Australian Domestic Cricket

Crosthwaite's a big loss for us. Very good keeper and our FRC & T20 team will be a bit less strengthened without him.

But good on him hope he gets a chance, also his brother James is a rookie at NSW and is also a keeper will be interesting. Noticed he has already been made Capt of Manly :eek:.

Well he will be picked but if he fails with the bat I will be calling for his head again. Can't have a captain not leading by example. England cut their losses with Vaughan once his batting fell away and Thornely isn't in the class of him.

Watson always performs at domestic level, he didn't have a FC average of 50 by fluke and its at 45 right now. Will be handy in the bowling department too, he produces at this level as he did at the Gabba with his 6 fer.

Yeah but NSW is different then England. Those players were selected for their country because they performed in domestic cricket. They knew the way around professional cricket but when the players come into NSW it's their first taste, and we need Dom.

I just don't like Watson. Stop proving to me that he's good!! It's making me think hes actually a decent buy. Arrghh!!!

I think quality should be the focus in any of the domestic competitions. I don't like the idea of making a league into a young man's game just because some cbf playing it well or having a policy of only picking home-grown players because of pride. There are plenty of competitions in which to develop young or up-and-coming players. As great as it is to watch young stars in the making, it is only a reckless indulgence to persist with them when they are not ready. It does nothing for the competition and does nothing for the players they compete against.

Australian Twenty20 was always going to get more serious. There was no way to get less serious than the Andrew Johns stunt. IPL means there is incentive for individual players to catch the eye and win a lucrative contract. With the lure of the Champions League, there is merit for individual states to up the ante. Then of course there is the national interest and currently the Australian cricket team is known for two things, playing badly against spin and losing at Twenty20.

For the most part, the state boards have been rather tame in their signings. Even when McCullum was signed by NSW in the middle of the tournament, at the time seen as so incredibly indecent and dishonourable, the end result was relatively insignificant. I don't believe that it is ostensibly possible for the teams to abuse their paltry 50k bonus and two player cap. The laws simply don't allow for Kolpak style deals. If a better competition is achieved, then there ought to be benefits for everyone around it. Even fringe players will train regularly with their new teammates. In the case of an elite spinner, such an experience could be a great boon to a player hoping to charm a selector... such as David Boon.

It may cost a small number of players a spot, albeit one they might not even have been assured of in the first place, but the players who actually make the XIs (of which, many will still be quite young) will benefit a great deal from a stronger competition.

Yeah but NSW is different then England. Those players were selected for their country because they performed in domestic cricket. They knew the way around professional cricket but when the players come into NSW it's their first taste, and we need Dom.

I just don't like Watson. Stop proving to me that he's good!! It's making me think hes actually a decent buy. Arrghh!!!

Watson, Jaques are the experienced heads, for mind that is enough. But since the replacement of Thornely would be Warner or Forrest I can understand picking him when Katich and Hughes are on duty. When they return though if Henriques and Khawaja are going better than Dom, then he should be the one dropped.

Don't know if it has been mentioned but Symonds hasn't been included in Queensland squad.

In other news, Bird has been cleared to return, hope his action can stay legit as he could be good in the shorter form of the games.

Nah, I only really get info on W.A players.

Whats with the query? Do you know him or something?

any other foreign players besides Mendis coming for Big Bash? If so then what teams. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread