Australian Domestic Cricket

Does Queensland even give a **** about our team? Look at us, we have gotten rid of Shane Watson, Nathan Hauritz, Mitchell Johnson, Ashley Noffke: ALL EX QUEENSLANDERS. And who we have signed? NOBODY.

ARE WE TRYING TO WIN OR NOT?

Well 2 of those blokes left for non cricket reasons.

NSW lost to the Vics last night by 1 wicket. Smith (3-45 & 22) was probably the pick of the players, Hughes top scoring with 62, in an opening stand of 108 with Henriques. We made 7 for 235 from 40 overs. Rohrer made 51 not out off 40 balls, WAG.

The Victorians chased it, after being 2/17, Hodge (56) and Hussey (39) and contributions from down the order let them get it with 1 wicket left and 20 balls to spare. Would have been good to watch.

Nice to see the young guns performing early. Looks like NSW see Henriques as a potential opener although with the amount of openers we have I don't think he'll get that gig fulltime but always good to see him batting higher in the order. Steven Smith is carrying his form the AIS tournament and nice to see Rohrer continue his late season form.

This will look weird, just bring this over from a reply on CW.

Brockley is off his chops.

This 'Brakken' lad sounds like rubbish though, but Bracken should probably give up the First Class game anyway. I heard he was missing matches simply because he doesn't think he's a Test option, if I was him I'd just retire from the longer form and concentrate on the shorter form. However, I have no idea what he's like in the longer forms, having never seen him.

Lee, Clark and Bracken in our bowling attack would be awesome for our youngsters, Clark should be playing Tests for Australia, maybe Lee, plus Lee and Bracken playing the shorter stuff for Australia too, so they won't be playing too much. Cockley, Bollinger, Cameron, Casson, Hazlewood and the other lads I'm not thinking of at the moment will get a fair run this season, and if Watson isn't batting in the middle order for Australia, hopefully he will get a run with NSW pretty easily.

Getting really pumped for this season.

Ignore the bit about Brockley and 'Brakken', the rest I felt could be worthy of posting here.

Anyway, you say you are a big domestic fan, I'm a huge domestic fan, although I don't get to see any domestic cricket apart from occasionally at the clubs/pubs etc on the T.V.

Cameron and Bollinger have been our two best bowlers over the last few seasons. They always get a fair run. I can see Watson and Clark playing tests, maybe Lee. So when the Tests are on, our attack should look like this:

Dougie
Cameron
Bracken
Casson
Henriques/Cockley

Henriques may not play, as Casson is more then capable with the bat. Henriques bowling has really come along though so I would be surprised if he missed out to often. His pace is still high and his accuracy is slowly coming along. 18 wickets in 19 OD games and 13 wickets in 11 FC games.

If Henriques doesn't play, I wonder if we will see Cockley or Bird. Possibly even Coyte who played 1 or 2 OD games late last season IIRC. We all know how powerful Bird is in the short forms, especially last year in the t20 and whether those performances warrant a FC place or not, I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards no.

Henriques would be my go, but if injury was to beckon then Cockley would probably be next imo but if Hazzlewood impresses enough in grade then I would be tempted to give him a go as he bowled really well against New Zealand last year - picking up a 4fer.

Let's say Clarke, Haddin, Katich, Watson, Lee, Clark and Hauritz are out on international duty, this would be my team for FC:

Jaques
Khawaja
Forrest
Thornley (c) [He better step up!]
Rohrer
D. Smith (wk)
Henriques (5)
Casson (4)
Bracken (2)
Cameron (3)
Bollinger (1)

You could replace Steven Smith with Rohrer if you want the extra spinning option or just replace Smith with Casson. Hughes will probably be around, can't see the selectors picking him so soon after dropping him.

Nice to see the young guns performing early. Looks like NSW see Henriques as a potential opener although with the amount of openers we have I don't think he'll get that gig fulltime but always good to see him batting higher in the order. Steven Smith is carrying his form the AIS tournament and nice to see Rohrer continue his late season form.

He can hit alright, so he could be a decent option up top in the shorter form. Would rather Henriques opening then Forrest tbh.

Feelin Blue? added 1 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

You could replace Steven Smith with Rohrer if you want the extra spinning option or just replace Smith with Casson. Hughes will probably be around, can't see the selectors picking him so soon after dropping him.

Rohrer has been valuable for us, I wouldn't drop him any time soon.

Yeah, Smith could replace Casson but Smith would really need to bowl well to do that seems Casson scored a few 50's and a ton last season.

True about Hughes as well. I have a feeling Forrest may miss out for him, and Khawaja at 3.

I would only judge Casson on his bowling, if its anything like last season then he definitely needs to be replaced. Same with Smith if he is in the spinner's spot. If Hughes isn't around then you could drop Forrest for Smith then as the SCG is always handy to have 2 spinners.

True. I really hope Smith's bowling has come along as I've always rated him. Will never forget his match winning cheap 3 wickets in a t20 against Queensland. Was at that game and was an awesome finish with him getting the last wicket.

Forrest hasn't been great really. In OD's he just seems to hit the ball - not place it. Really annoying when these sweet cover drives go straight to cover. But imagine how skinny our batting could be. Even if he put Smith over Casson, we would bat long but a lot of the batsmen could easily fail. Smith over Forrest would leave us skinny.

Jaques
Hughes
Khawaja
Thornley
Rohrer
D. Smith
S. Smith [could swap the Smith's around]
Henriques [could be above the Smith's.

Imagine if the pressure is on - Thornley will fail without a doubt - and Smith and Henriques arent exactly the most reliable batsmen. You could always rely on Forrest to get a 30 or something though.

So if Steve Smith was going to play, I would have him over Casson or not in the team at all. (Unless Forrest was really pissing me off with piss poor efforts and it was a spinning pitch :p)

He can hit alright, so he could be a decent option up top in the shorter form. Would rather Henriques opening then Forrest tbh.

Yea Forrest shouldn't be in the shorter forms especially with the depth we have there now. When the ODIs are on we are looking at Warner, Hughes, Jaques, Katich, Henriques as possible openers. Could be tricky fitting all of them in, giving it a go

Warner
Hughes
Jaques
Katich
Rorher
Thornely (he'll be there although I would go Henriques)
Daniel Smith
Steven Smith
Bird
Clark
Bollinger

Bowlers could change they were the first guys I could think of.

aussie1st added 5 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Jaques
Hughes
Khawaja
Thornley
Rohrer
D. Smith
S. Smith [could swap the Smith's around]
Henriques [could be above the Smith's.

Definitely would move D Smith down to 8, its not that bad of a batting lineup if they play to their potential. If Steven continues his AIS form he'll go just fine at 6, after that we could collapse like flies or score real quickly. Obviously we can replace Steven or Henriques with a batter if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread