Australian Domestic Cricket

Well, the selectors persistence worked with Shane Watson :) Personally I think it's a bad argument. Why not use whatever he's got left in his body? You don't want to die wondering after all. If he can't stay fit, move to plan B - whoever the next bowler in line is. I don't see a huge problem with picking him. Worst thing that can happen is that he'll break down during a game. And those games won't mean anything until the World Cup, plenty of time to establish how fit he really is.

So yeah for me, I'd bring him back, I'd even be twisting his arm to make himself available for the Ashes. But that's another story - first things first, he is probably one of the great ODI bowlers of all time, quite under appreciated really. Lee and Bracken have great ODI records but are rarely recognised as great bowlers, merely good.

Anyway, while I'm the first to admit he's up to 10kph slower than most of that career, I still think he'd be very valuable. One big reason is that he can bowl at the death. At present there isn't really anyone bankable to bowl at the death. Bollinger's had a go I suppose, and Tait would get the job when he's available, but of late Shane Watson's been our death bowler for crying out loud. And as usual I point at Lee's other handy attributes, great bloke in the dressing room, experienced and can bat and field well for a fast bowler.

Well it wasn't an argument. I'd love to see him bowl for Australia again. I just think that more than likely he will get injured again, hope he proves me wrong.

Just procrastinating doing my assignments looking over some old scorecards. Seems to be a change across the board in Australia. Going back 3 years ago we had very strong, experienced players and good structure in all of the teams. In the past few years we've lost alot of experienced players in domestic cricket such as Marsh, DiVenuto, Love, Maher, Langer, Lehmann, Arnberger, Bichel, Kaspa, Dizzy. But we're seeing a new wave of very young batsmen, bowlers and allrounders like Smith, Khawaja, Hughes, Finch, Cutting, Hastings, Haberfield, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Starc, Hill, M. Marsh, Faulkner, Warner ect.. That group of guys will be the future of Australia and the top quality players in domestic cricket in 5-10 years. Going back 3 years ago you didn't have the quantity of youth you have now.

cricketmad09 added 2 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

Curious move.

How so?

As far as I know he got the arse from WA so decided to try his luck in Victoria. Seems fairly rational. He's young and talented and Victoria don't necessarily have alot of depth and have an aging team.

An aging Victorian team just means he's got a shot at some point in the next 3-5 years. He will have to work hard to be counted among their 10 most preferred batsmen, though maybe that is made easier if he's in the 2nd XI each week. I'm sure he can get in if he applies himself, but usually axed players go for the surest option. You know, like moving to Jamaica.

Also interesting that Steve O'Keffe has been made captain of New South Wales for their One Dayer against the touring Sri Lankan side.

IanG added 1 Minutes and 12 Seconds later...

You know, like moving to Jamaica.

Well that particular player is not Vice Captain of the West Indies.

Michael Hussey & Doug Bollinger flying back to Australia. Hussey to play the next shield match, they should have a pretty good batting lineup their bowling will be a bit in-experienced though, with Dorey having a sore toe and Magoffin still having trouble with his knee. The team should look a bit like this:

Wes Robinson
Liam Davis
Michael Swart
Michael Hussey
Marcus North
Luke Pomersbach
Luke Ronchi
Ryan Duffield
Michael Beer
Michael Hogan
Matt Dixon

Copeland is not quick but he bowls some good'uns.

angryangy added 8 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

The Tassie batsmen have been slogging; finally it catches up with them, but it needed a brilliant take from the former captain, running with the flight at point, almost over-running it, but sliding to stay under it. Cossie gone.

angryangy added 18 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

Aww, beautiful. O'Keefe drops one a bit slower, no turn; Well plays all around it.

angryangy added 10 Minutes and 12 Seconds later...

Scott Coyte touching 140. Also sporting a two-tone blond-ranga mohawk thing.

Last edited:
I notice that Chris Simpson is back as captain fort the Bulls the last couple of games, don't know why. Why isn't Hartley doing it?

Phil Jaques hasn't made a lot of runs in a while, but today could be his day. Haddin looking good too.

Geez going to take some chasing to get this. One thing the split innings thing has done is increase the amount of runs being scored which could help us in the world cup if the players doing this are picked.

Wow, didn't see that Birt and Cowan partnership happening. I thought we'd be lucky to get 200!

Brett Lee comes into the game with his trademark yorkers. NSW very much benefiting from the extended bowling restrictions and then suddenly not, with Cowan crafting a bevy of shots for Lee's final over.

Cowan's 131 in 120 balls was not without flaws, however. He was granted a life on 74, when, though apparently caught by Haddin and given out by umpire Reiffel, the keeper signalled that he didn't know if it carried. Much later, on 114 he was dropped deep in the leg side by Rohrer.

Together with Birt's 87 from 62, Tasmania took a modest start and created a challenging total. What is in NSW's favour is that they've got a great start already. They just need to utilise their class and get some big scores from the top order.

angryangy added 16 Minutes and 36 Seconds later...

Oh! Great throw from Bailey! Haddin works the ball to leg, but Bailey collects to his right at midwicket, turns and throws down the bowler's stumps on the full. Haddin run out by a hair.

Jaques is not going to back off, however.

Users who are viewing this thread