Australian Domestic Cricket

I don't know that they've got enough, it's only 130 off 25 overs, but that was an excellent finish. Wade is such a powerful yet tiny man.

Hogan was also brilliant and could be the real difference between the sides. Victoria will need their bowlers to take wickets and can ill afford to back off at any stage.

Are you all actually enjoying this split innings format? Seems ridiculous to me. There is actually no excitement.
I don't think there's much fundamental difference to regular one dayers. There's still a bit of a stalemate in the middle, but with one less man on the fence, it gives the captain something to think about. We've seen with Heal tonight that it might have been better to have the short third man in a slip than to have him halfway to the fence, where he could neither catch the genuine nick nor stop it going for four.

However, there is more reward for good bowling because you technically only need a token effort from your fifth bowler. Although the nature of the game does oblige that options be tried, the bowling rotations should be as intuitive as possible. Less dependence on poor bowling will help with that.

Good cricket isn't about high run rates or low run rates. The quality of cricket lies in its contests, moments where things could go either way. Improving limited overs cricket doesn't mean it needs more boundaries or less of them. If we bring more contests into limited overs, then we can improve the game.

Absolutely brilliant ton from Wade today, off 80 balls, and brought it up in the final over with one of the biggest hits ive seen at the MCG, miles and miles over mid wicket, way back in the stand. This guy is ready made for international cricket, time and time again he not only digs the Vics out but blasts them into a good position. The sooner he is in the Aussie one day team the better. Paine for me is the next Test keeper, but Wade just has it NAILED in odi's. Could be a IPL star too.

Yep Wade's impressive. I think Paine should take over the Test spot right now, let Haddin focus on the short form stuff and then Wade would take Haddin's ODI/T20 spots after he moves on in a couple of years. I'm not a big fan of guys playing all 3 formats, especially keepers and fast bowlers. Too much work. Even batsmen and spinners can screw up their games by trying to be masters of all 3 formats.

And how about big Marcus yesterday? :banana2 94 not, would make the selectors a bit happier since I'm sure they want to pick him if they can for Nov 25, Brisbane.

Wade would probably get the Test gig too unless Paine quickly seals it, then it becomes harder for the up and coming keepers to take it off him. Our ODI keeping stocks are looking good with Wade and Haddin looking in good touch and Paine has shown glimpses of scoring fast.

No doubt he can be aggressive IF he wants to. Just needs to be given the right instructions i'm guessing, one of the openers has be the one to go after the bowling.

Yep his T20 record shows he can not to mention his 200 strike rate last season in the Big Bash. As seems to be the problem with a number of players, they can't transfer their T20 form into the ODI arena.

The crowd at the MCG last night was pretty bad. I barely saw a spectator on the TV.

Considering nobody is taking an interest in going then they should have some of the games in regional areas. Maybe 1 in Geelong, Bendigo and Ballarat and the remaining 2 at the MCG. You'd probably get more spectators and have a greater atmosphere. I live in Ballarat and these days I would never bother going down to Melbourne to watch a 1 dayer, but if it was in Ballarat i'd definately go and check it out.

I don't know how they work it, but it seems inconsistent. On the one hand, you'd expect that the more regional games, the fewer televised games, but on the other hand, about half of the untelevised games this season will be at Adelaide or Perth.

This is because there are also overlaps. There were two one day games being played while the 1st ODI was being abandoned and there was one today. There will be three more during the Adelaide Test. Unless they can get rid of glaring conflicts, I don't see how they can schedule anything more complex.

Last edited:
I'm all for more regional games. I know down here in Tassie it's not a problem as Launy and Devonport/Burnie get a game. We also get 5,000 people on average for a one day match which isn't too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread