Australian Domestic Cricket

I'll make a wild prediction and say this Boyce kid will be our main spinner in time.Great control for a leggie and he does turn it- though he didn't seem to get much turn from the surface.Definitely a much better prospect than Smith.I disagree that he seems easily to get away

Well that was based on the period I watched where the batsmen were taking 3-4 runs an over with relative ease. He looks a good talent though, wouldn't mind seeing him on a spinning wicket but given the pitch his economy was very good.

I really think you overestimate what spinners should be or could be doing. How many teams has Vettori spun out lately?? He's an honest toiler - not much more. Like Paul Harris or Suliman Benn. If you look at Vettori's figures, he gets better returns in the first 2 innings of a match, not in the last 2, which is when according to you, a spinner should be taking control of a match and running through sides. Looking at his record in the last 5 years I can count only 4 times when Vettori has taken 4+ wickets in the 3rd and 4th innings of a match: and 2 of those were v Bangladesh. He's a holding spinner - they do exist!!

But yes, will agree that it would be nice if Smith could spin teams out :p

Nah Vettori is way ahead of Harris & Benn regardless. Yea no doubt Vettori record on turning/5th day wickets has declined a bit. But i have always seen that as a mixture of:

- Him losing some of big turn of his youth

- The fact that given NZ dont have an avergae overall pace attack - he has had perform the role of holding spinner againts his will (a holding role which we cant even depend on Hauritz or potentially even Smith to do effectively). He doesn't have the luxury 90% of the time to be overly attacking.

- Teams knowing he is NZ biggest wicket-taking option basically take zero risks againts him. They rather see him off & attack the other weak bowlers.

Put Vettori in AUS team that toured IND recently with that pace attack, he would spin out teams more on last day wearing tracks. Since he has all the skills to do so.

Leg spinners in test history are usually not holding spinners too, they are usually the attacking bowlers. Warne/O'Reilly/Benaud where unique obviously becasuse the combined both.

ATS although one day it could change, i dont see Smith with the skills as a holding spinner who can tie down batsmen like Vettori. Or a potential attacking spinner who can spin out teams. So really our boy Smithy needs to do ALOT of work on his bowling before he is even thought of as a test option.

Argh what cruel joke is this, Khawaja out just as I get back and turn the stream on :( Clarke should let Haddin and Smith bat before him as hes in good nick and hes also got that slight niggle.

Tea at the SCG after a good session for the spinner. Smith was caught at short leg off his pad and Jaques sent a sweep into the deep, beaten by the athleticism of Hussey, who took a good catch while running with the flight, as much as the delivery.

NSW's batting has been miserable apart from Clarke, who looks like he will only bat if necessary to save the game. Victoria's bowling attack is of course very good, but they haven't taken the early wickets that NSW have. They've had to grind the batsmen out of the game and from a certain perspective, it's disappointing that so many good batsmen have gotten out with 20s, 30s and 40s.

Holland hasn't really turned the ball, which is something I would have expected at least out of the footholes at this stage. He just seems to be varying the delivery enough to starve the batsmen of an easy shot.

At least Haddin has got some runs which is a good sign. I think as is always the case, when the stars come back everyone starts relying on them. One way or another Copeland will be playing next week either for Aus A or taking one of the two vacant spots in the bowling lineup. Likewise Maddinson and maybe Forrest will be back if Clarke or Katich don't pull up.

Western Australian Team to face Victoria:

Wes Robinson
Michael Swart
Mike Hussey
Marcus North
Adam Voges
Mitchell Marsh
Luke Ronchi
Mitchell Johnson
Brett Dorey
Michael Beer
Michael Hogan
Nathan Coulter-Nile

Good to see Coulter-Nile back. Pomersbach has been sent to play in the WA A side

swirler added 6 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

South Australian side to play Queensland:

Daniel Harris
James Smith
Michael Klinger
Aiden Blizzard
Tom Cooper
Graham Manou
Daniel Christian
Aaron O’Brien
Tim Lang
Rob Cassell
Gary Putland
Ben Edmondson

Chris Duval is injured....

Hold up how come Pomersbach has been dropped? Hes WA 3rd leading run scorer this season with 2 50s in 4 innings. Certainly is nice seeing Coulter-Nile back but looks like he'll be 12th man.

Oh and just noticed North's scores for WA: 10, 101, 19 and 1. That is right up there with Afridi in terms of hit and miss.

It might have been a toss up between Pomersbach and Voges, but either way, WA need a lot more runs.

I like Mitch Marsh but he has done nothing of note so he should have been the one left out really. Oh well I hope he shows the selectors made the right call in backing him.

Next Round of Sheffield Shield matches
17-20 November
New South Wales vs Tasmania at SCG
Queensland vs South Australia at Allan Border Field
Victoria vs Western Australia at MCG

They'll be missing players playing for Australia A against England in Hobart

NSW Team for up coming shield match:

Shane WATSON
Phil JAQUES
Simon KATICH
Peter FORREST
Ben ROHRER
Brad HADDIN
Moises HENRIQUES
Nathan HAURITZ
Scott COYTE
Doug BOLLINGER
Trent COPELAND
Sean ABBOTT

OUT
- Michael Clarke will miss the match to continue to rest his back
- Stuart Clark will miss the match due to a hamstring strain picked up while bowling against Victoria
- Mitchell Starc will be out for up to 4 weeks with a side strain picked up while bowling in the Victorian game
- Phillip Hughes, Usman Khawaja, Steven Smith, Mark Cameron and Stephen O?Keefe will all represent Australia A versus England in Hobart starting on Wednesday (17 November)
IN
- Simon Katich, Doug Bollinger, Scott Coyte, Peter Forrest, Moises Henriques, Sean Abbott and Ben Rohrer

Maddinson is also injured so Warner is certainly well down in the pecking order. Pretty handy to be able to replace Cameron with Coyte whose also been in good form and Copeland for Starc.

Users who are viewing this thread