Australian Domestic Cricket

This is what I'm worried about - particularly with Swann's fetish for left handers. Not sure I'd be super confident throwing Usman in at #6 with Swann in the middle of a spell. Get a right hander in there, he hates those :p

I think McDonald should be working on his bowling more. Work on the batting once Watson slows down and then become a batsman who bowls 5-10 handy overs a day. But if he works on his bowling he could potentially be a decent #7/#8 for Australia and would be good batting cover if Smith were to get picked in the top 6.

Yea Smith would have evolve in top top class spin bowling all-rounder batting @ 6/7. Haddin batting would have to reach the level of Sanga/Gilly averaging 45+ consistently, for McDonald to ever play again in tests (with improvments in his bowling ATS). In a XI in the near future of probably:

Watson
Hughes
Ponting
Clarke
Katich/Ferguson
Haddin
Smith
McDonald
Johnson/Harris
Hilfy
Bollinger

Which ATS if i where a betting man i dont see that happening with Haddin & Smith.

McDonald bowling is good enough to play the 5th bowling option. His batting is what he needs to get into the side as he won't get in via his bowling anymore. I've always been one that likes the batting all rounders as they give you more bowling options. If its a bowling one then the bowling should be better than medium pace like a Andrew Flintoff down at 8.

Ponting out cheaply again, this time bowled. Not the best signs for our batsmen as only Clarke has spent anytime at the crease. All the test hopeful have failed as well, down to Ferguson to claim first innings honours.

Ha England playing on pancakes and our boys playing on mine-fields. Great work CA :clap

TumTum added 18 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

Clarke needs to learn how to pad up better. He just doesn't move and is like all frozen. Get the bloody body across to cover the stumps.

Yea Smith would have evolve in top top class spin bowling all-rounder batting @ 6/7.

If Smith can bowl 15 overs of decent quality a day, I'd be happy to give that side a run. Then McDonald/Watson bowl another 15-20 and get 55-60 from your 3 quicks and there's your 90.

If Smith can bowl 15 overs of decent quality a day, I'd be happy to give that side a run. Then McDonald/Watson bowl another 15-20 and get 55-60 from your 3 quicks and there's your 90.

As someone said and i agree that would only happen if Haddin's batting improve enough to be a consistent number 6 and Smith bowling improves.I would also add even though Haddin doesn't improve but if Smith's batting keeps on improving he can bat at 6.AND hence that team would be possible.But honestly i cant see Smith's bowling improving to a good enough standard , hope to be proven wrong.

Now Stuart Clark opens the bowling with Hauritz - and Haury delivers! Hill LBW for 8...
and Hussey c&b for 9...
Homer20Simpson20Oh20No_xlarge.jpeg

Got the Queensland and NSW streams going at the same time which is handy since both leg spinners are bowling. Quite different actions, Boyce is an unusual one to the ones I'm use to seeing. He seemed to be relatively easy to get away but then I checked the scorecard and he was only going at 2.5 an over. Then he produced an edge which wasn't taken before drawing a mistimed shot from the batsmen to pick up his 2nd. Smith has been relatively accurate with his usual rubbish ball here and there. Was also unlucky I believe the slip dropped one.

Hundred to McDonald again.

angryangy added 3 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

Not so many fours this time, but he's played the shots.

Still don't know what to make of Smith's bowling, he doesn't seem to turn it much, and does bowl a lot of rubbish balls as you say.
Chawla is a hell of a lot more accurate (as an example), and turns the ball a little more, has a great googly and great control, yet also struggles for wickets. So if Chawla struggles, I can't see Smith doing a whole lot better unless he really improves.
Smith does have talent though, you can see it in his batting and fielding, so he might do ok, he seems to be a natural athlete, but there is just something missing at this stage, an X factor and some accuracy I think.
Don't know if he'll ever crack it at international level as a spinner, but time will tell. I won't be fooled by one day wickets though, all you have to do is be accurate and batsmen will get themselves out.

Got the Queensland and NSW streams going at the same time which is handy since both leg spinners are bowling. Quite different actions, Boyce is an unusual one to the ones I'm use to seeing. He seemed to be relatively easy to get away but then I checked the scorecard and he was only going at 2.5 an over. Then he produced an edge which wasn't taken before drawing a mistimed shot from the batsmen to pick up his 2nd. Smith has been relatively accurate with his usual rubbish ball here and there. Was also unlucky I believe the slip dropped one.

I'll make a wild prediction and say this Boyce kid will be our main spinner in time.Great control for a leggie and he does turn it- though he didn't seem to get much turn from the surface.Definitely a much better prospect than Smith.I disagree that he seems easily to get away.Two guys we should keep an eye out for.The young talent is not only among those who are around the aussie set up but those who selectors havent considered yet-Boyce,Wade, Copeland,Finch,Mitch Marsh and i also think Holland is quite a talent just hasn't come into his own as yet.Maybe selectors ain't as good at discovering young talent as we think.Not all are quite ready i'll admit, but i would say Wade's ready though Paine is in his way,Copeland is ready and he wasnt even picked for Australia A.I really like the look of Holland might be worth a gamble now( Boyce time will come).I know the statistics say O'Keefe should be the one 2 take a gamble on if a gamble was to be taken but Holland seems a much better prospect than him.Surely one of those guys will be around the aussie set up soon, to me they got what it takes.

Last edited:

Nah thats a bit too soft for me. We just dont want 15 nothing overs from Smith, he needs to develop his bowling into a Sakib/Vettori/Benaud/Faulkner type spin bowling all-rounder. Since in such a team you want Smith to be able to spin out teams fairly consistently on turners.

War added 1 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Still don't know what to make of Smith's bowling, he doesn't seem to turn it much, and does bowl a lot of rubbish balls as you say.
Chawla is a hell of a lot more accurate (as an example), and turns the ball a little more, has a great googly and great control, yet also struggles for wickets. So if Chawla struggles, I can't see Smith doing a whole lot better unless he really improves.
Smith does have talent though, you can see it in his batting and fielding, so he might do ok, he seems to be a natural athlete, but there is just something missing at this stage, an X factor and some accuracy I think.
Don't know if he'll ever crack it at international level as a spinner, but time will tell. I won't be fooled by one day wickets though, all you have to do is be accurate and batsmen will get themselves out.

Ye good comparison with Smith & Chawla acutally, i forget about him. But ye i share the same concerns about Smith's bowling long term as a test match option. I still think deep down he will turn into another Cameron White.

Nah thats a bit too soft for me. We just dont want 15 nothing overs from Smith, he needs to develop his bowling into a Sakib/Vettori/Benaud/Faulkner type spin bowling all-rounder. Since in such a team you want Smith to be able to spin out teams fairly consistently on turners.
I really think you overestimate what spinners should be or could be doing. How many teams has Vettori spun out lately?? He's an honest toiler - not much more. Like Paul Harris or Suliman Benn. If you look at Vettori's figures, he gets better returns in the first 2 innings of a match, not in the last 2, which is when according to you, a spinner should be taking control of a match and running through sides. Looking at his record in the last 5 years I can count only 4 times when Vettori has taken 4+ wickets in the 3rd and 4th innings of a match: and 2 of those were v Bangladesh. He's a holding spinner - they do exist!!

But yes, will agree that it would be nice if Smith could spin teams out :p

Users who are viewing this thread