Australian Domestic Cricket

Nice seeing Maxwell do well again, last match wasn't his best. Maddinson has had an average match after being talked up in the papers.

Bulls have been impressive this season, particularly given they haven't been full strength with the injuries to Hopes and Lynn. Tasmania seemed to be carrying quite a long tail though with Faulkner batting at #6.
Queensland have seen consistency from their batting; conversely Tassie haven't. On paper, the roles should be reversed.

Geez theres some new faces in that NSW side, I guess thats what happens when Aus are playing. Not much change against that Vic team bar Pattinson and White thats their full strength side isn't it?

Warner, Bolly and Smith will be back for the next match won't they?

Down to the old heads to get NSW out of this mess. Henriques and Nevil are our two form batsmen so we really need them to stand up. Herrick looks like a talent, this could be his break out season for him if he can keep his spot.

Hah, so Cullen Bailey and Peter fricken George stymied the WACA boys and held out for a draw! George survived 60 balls - you won't see that every day of the week. He usually makes McGrath look like Sachin Tendulkar.

Henriques averaging 90 now, never thought I would see that day!
After 2 games we are starting to find some depth in the ranks. Nevil putting his hand up for the keeping spot and Handscomb looks decent too, 3 spinners averaging under 30 which would have to be a record and a ridiculous amount of fast bowlers who are killing it this season. Batting is the only department where the youngsters haven't really stood up.

I read all that and all I can gather is that the cover page of the 4-year plan won't say Backyard to Baggy Green.

Australia news: Cricket Australia looks beyond the baggy green | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Did any of you guys read this? I honestly am not sure what Sutherland's motive behind this is

The article does have a valid point in that many cricket spectators in Australia might not necesarily support the Australian team. There are a lot of Indian students coming to cricket matches these days !

As much as the purists might roll their eyes, I reckon this season's Big Bash will be a success and be good for attracting new fans. In my opinion, cricket will appeal more to the masses if you need only attend a T20 game for 3 hours after work; as opposed to making an all day commitment to watching a ODI or Test match.

Cricket has never been a game where you absolutely have to sit through all of it, especially if tickets are cheap. A lot of domestic one dayers would be perfect after-work viewing, but it's really only the ones like this current match at North Sydney, a simple day game on a Sunday, that seem to generate a good crowd.

----------

It's a typical NSO wicket that is not so easy to score on in the first few hours and while the Vics lost 4 wickets in the first 20 overs, almost exclusively the domain of mistimed shots, Hodge and Quiney have managed to hang on and explode. Hodge survived a c&b to Henriques, but it proved an awkward one for the bowler. In the one over, there was also a touch and go six over a leaping Maddinson, a run out opportunity that was fumbled by Starc and what seemed to be a plumb lbw not given against Quiney.

And can you believe it, at 6/297, Maxwell comes in.

It's not a first string bowling attack for Victoria, but NSW's batting looks way off the pace. The big question is whether they have anyone who can belt a big hundred like Hodge or even a few that can make 50+ like Quiney. Katich is the only batsman who has scored a one day hundred and they actually only have 6 players who've made 50, so it is obvious that most of them go out with a point to prove. Daniel Smith wasn't quite effective enough to hold his spot as a keeper-batsman, but he returns as a batsman only. It is a flat wicket with short boundaries, but 318 means a lot of risks to take.

----------

And Syl you'll be happy to hear that Herrick bowls 90 mph

Dan Smith! Didn't get a contract but proving himself here. I thought he should have gotten one. They only had Neville in back up i believee.

As it stands it's another formulaic game in spite of the target, Smith just unfazed by anything. If they get him out, they might get a chance to dry up the runs and squeeze the remaining batsmen.

Users who are viewing this thread