Australian Tour of India, October 2010/11

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Our attack is too imbalanced for this test. We have 2 attacking bowlers in Hilfy and Johnson and then two defensive ones in George and Hauritz. Not much we could do with all the injuries but we certainly can't go with a defensive bowler bowler plus Hauritz in the future.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Johnson still believes Australia can push for a win in this test even with the position they are in right now. IMO, it would be mighty tough because India are expected to easily surpass Australia's total tomorrow (Sachin is still there on 191* and Dhoni is also there, along with Bhajji and ZAK who can bat quite a bit). Once India get the lead, it will be very hard for Australia to get to a score and set a target for India to push for the win.

India most likely will bat as long as possible. Ojha says they will look for a lead of 150-200. I feel thats insane. A lead of 100 should be enough for India. Get there and then unleash the spinners on Australia and hope the track plays the tricks. India should be positive here and try for a win. But I guess Dhoni will settle for the safer route and be happy with a draw (that will win us the series)

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I want a 2-0 win dammit. Dhoni is a defensive captain when we are 1-0 and that is something I hate about him. I would even declare behind tbh.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
The ball to Pujara certainly shows a result could be on more towards India due to the time factor. Given North has already cemented his place, he'll go back to being crap so a collapse is definitely on.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Johnson still believes Australia can push for a win in this test even with the position they are in right now. IMO, it would be mighty tough because India are expected to easily surpass Australia's total tomorrow (Sachin is still there on 191* and Dhoni is also there, along with Bhajji and ZAK who can bat quite a bit). Once India get the lead, it will be very hard for Australia to get to a score and set a target for India to push for the win.

India most likely will bat as long as possible. Ojha says they will look for a lead of 150-200. I feel thats insane. A lead of 100 should be enough for India. Get there and then unleash the spinners on Australia and hope the track plays the tricks. India should be positive here and try for a win. But I guess Dhoni will settle for the safer route and be happy with a draw (that will win us the series)

In the first Test India made 50 for the last 5 wickets in the first innings, then 140 for the last 4 wickets in the second innings. So you'd think India's lead would be anywhere from 0-150. I don't see why pushing for 150-200 is insane, while you are in always keep batting to increase your lead. There's 2 days left, so you might as well get 200 in front if you can, then put Australia in for the last session tomorrow and see how you go. Because if you have a lead of 200 with 4 sessions left then Australia would have to bat 3 of them at least to save the game (assuming 100 runs per session roughly). I'm not sure I'd bet on Australia lasting a day with their recent record of collapses.

Our attack is too imbalanced for this test. We have 2 attacking bowlers in Hilfy and Johnson and then two defensive ones in George and Hauritz. Not much we could do with all the injuries but we certainly can't go with a defensive bowler bowler plus Hauritz in the future.

If it's a weak team or at home, you should be able to get away with it. But not in India against a team of batting legends. So you either pick an EXTRA bowler, like Smith for example at #6 or as you say you take 3 attacking bowlers. As an aside, why didn't North get a bowl? Injury? Or has Ponting felt he's earned enough brownie points in this match?

Last edited:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
We should not bat the whole of 2nd session tomorrow. Sometime during the 2nd session tomorrow, we got to be bowling at the Australian batsmen. So whatever lead we want, we have to get it by halfway into the 2nd session and then have Australia bat.

I would prefer we get all out because thats the way we can actually see a result in this match. India should be all out with a lead of around 100. Then hopefully Harbhajan and Ojha can make the Aussie batsmen dance to their tunes and set India up for victory.

aus_maestro

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Great ashes preparation this, the way this test is heading it looks like we're about to get mullered again. I have no confidence in this side batting out a full day against proper spinners on a 5th day pitch. Kudos to Tendulkar, bowlers must feel absolutely hopeless against him atm.

If only I had that much time to waste :facepalm

ARay

County Cricketer
Sachin, go join the 300s club. Especially since you are playing so well this year. :D
Truly well played to keep India on track :)

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
I just thought up a genius joke -

it's still ten-ten-ten for Tendulkar!
I'll grab my coat

P

pcfan123

if the wicket plays the same then this might finally be the 300 for Sachin.

nikhil_99

International Coach
The ball to Pujara certainly shows a result could be on more towards India due to the time factor.

Yes,it was really unfortunate for the newcomer,the ball really kept low.. batting on 4th and 5th day will be difficult, if India gets at least 100-120 run lead, it will be difficult for Aus....

Last edited:

razahood

Club Cricketer
I believe the class which sachin has and the conditions of pitch are He must get a 300 because there is nothing for the pace bowlers and Aussies don't even have a classy spin bowler

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
There is a lot of similarity with the 1st Test. After the third day India was also a small target behind the innings of Australia's innings. Only difference is now that India has got 5 wickets in hand.

When Australia will bat tomorrow they really need to score the runs quickly. If they allow India only to bat two sessions to bat I would say that India will bat out to a draw.

ZoraxDoom

Respected Legend
I'd like to see India bat on and on till they get bowled out. Score as much as possible, shut Australia out, seal the series.

And when they come on to bowl with the massive lead, they can be extremely aggressive. 4 slips, 2 gullys and a third man for Sree and Zak. Sree trying to bowl outswingers homing on offstump or just outside, Zak angling the ball across with the odd one nipping back in, and vice versa to Katich. Do so for the first 10 overs, try and pry out something while the ball is swinging. If that doesn't work, pepper them with short deliveries on the stumps. Short leg, deep square leg, deep point, midwicket in the circle, few slips and gullys, maybe a leg slip/leg gully, deep fine leg. Hope for variable bounce to pick up a wicket.

And if that fails, toss the ball to Bhajji and Ojha with 4 men around the bat and hope for something off the pitch and/or a false stroke.

Users who are viewing this thread