Bangladesh tour of New Zealand 2022

Believe

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Fantastic game from Bangla. I'm not even sad about losing (Ok I can't back that up..) but they've been brilliant, fast bowlers really stood up, and I don't think I've ever seen them bat that patiently. Hands down the best display I've seen from a visiting team since the infamous Voges bowled-by-a-no-ball-that-wasn't-a-no-ball double ton.

B

Bigby Wolf

Great win this from Bangladesh.

Winning a test match against World Test Champions in their own backyard is something really special.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Not a coincidence that two of the U-19 WC winners have also made an impact on the game. Integrate more of them well and Bangladesh will have a really good team in this decade
Towhid Hridoy was the one who really passed the eye test for me, will be interesting to see if he kicks on or becomes another Will Bosisto

I also think Liton Das can be a really solid test keeper averaging in the mid 30s if they get him to focus on tests exclusively for now
He certainly has a lot of potential. Unsure about his glovework as it's always looked Buttleresque or worse, but that is something that can be coached if everyone buys into it

Ebadot was the last pacer I'd have backed to do this sort of damage. Pleased for him and his management, they've backed him a lot and deserve some reward for it.
Most definitely - it's a huge win to have a Bangladeshi fast man put in a performance like this so early in their career

The system there is so hostile to any potential fast man; the spin-friendly conditions and culture mean that anyone who reaches 20 and bowls fast (like actually fast) did so playing tape-ball. Bangladesh doesn't pick its fast men out of first-class cricket, it picks them out of speed gun camps and chucks them straight into the Test side

A background in tape-ball prioritises unpredictability (spraying it) and a surprise quicker ball (usually means chucking it). These are vry very opposite to what makes a good Test fast bowler, and the pace that makes you a tape-ball star in small-town Rajshahi isn't enough to trouble a top Test player

These guys are also often thrown into the Test squad without playing any domestic cricket. From memory, Mashrafe Mortaza, Tapash Baisya, Mohammad Sharif, Talha Jubair, Taskin Ahmed and Ebadot Hossain were all picked in their first Test squad before their first-class debut. Mashrafe even played his first-class debut in a Test match

And these are often tape-ball bowlers. Tape-balls aren't like cricket balls. It's an entirely different set of skills. They are literally learning how to bowl with a cricket ball against Matthew Hayden or whoever has turned up to pad their stats.

Ebadot Hossain ticks all of those boxes, with the added layer of cricket not even being a cricketer until he was spotted at his "pacer hunt" and thrown straight into a Test squad to play New Zealand. Ironically, he was selected ahead of Mohammad Shahid, who had first been thrown to the wolves half his life (15 years - yes Shahid was picked at 15) before.

It's taken six years of hard graft and three years of dismal Test returns, but I think Ebadot might have cracked it in a way that Rubel, Shahadat and even Mashrafe never did. And even if he never does it again, he earned this game.

wasteyouryouth

Verified
Admin
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Towhid Hridoy was the one who really passed the eye test for me, will be interesting to see if he kicks on or becomes another Will Bosisto

He certainly has a lot of potential. Unsure about his glovework as it's always looked Buttleresque or worse, but that is something that can be coached if everyone buys into it

Most definitely - it's a huge win to have a Bangladeshi fast man put in a performance like this so early in their career

The system there is so hostile to any potential fast man; the spin-friendly conditions and culture mean that anyone who reaches 20 and bowls fast (like actually fast) did so playing tape-ball. Bangladesh doesn't pick its fast men out of first-class cricket, it picks them out of speed gun camps and chucks them straight into the Test side

A background in tape-ball prioritises unpredictability (spraying it) and a surprise quicker ball (usually means chucking it). These are vry very opposite to what makes a good Test fast bowler, and the pace that makes you a tape-ball star in small-town Rajshahi isn't enough to trouble a top Test player

These guys are also often thrown into the Test squad without playing any domestic cricket. From memory, Mashrafe Mortaza, Tapash Baisya, Mohammad Sharif, Talha Jubair, Taskin Ahmed and Ebadot Hossain were all picked in their first Test squad before their first-class debut. Mashrafe even played his first-class debut in a Test match

And these are often tape-ball bowlers. Tape-balls aren't like cricket balls. It's an entirely different set of skills. They are literally learning how to bowl with a cricket ball against Matthew Hayden or whoever has turned up to pad their stats.

Ebadot Hossain ticks all of those boxes, with the added layer of cricket not even being a cricketer until he was spotted at his "pacer hunt" and thrown straight into a Test squad to play New Zealand. Ironically, he was selected ahead of Mohammad Shahid, who had first been thrown to the wolves half his life (15 years - yes Shahid was picked at 15) before.

It's taken six years of hard graft and three years of dismal Test returns, but I think Ebadot might have cracked it in a way that Rubel, Shahadat and even Mashrafe never did. And even if he never does it again, he earned this game.
Notable thing is Ebadot didn't go through the system. He was playing volleyball in the army six years ago.

icyman

ICC Chairman
India
The Boys
Profile Flag
India
Being made to eat my words here! Didn't honestly believe they were upto the challenge. They've proven everyone wrong and its only getting better for the longest format of the game.

It would be great if they can sustain this momentum and form into other series as well. Perhaps, the defining element here has been the absence of Shakib and Tamim. In short, Bangladesh ended up playing a completely different side devoid of any superstars and yet ended up winning. Let's see if this team continues to amaze in the near future as well.

GuyIncognito

Chairman of Selectors
AUS..
RCB...
MS
Melbourne Stars
Birmingham Phoenix
The Boys
Profile Flag
Australia
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I won 500,000 vcash off my cheeky 25K bet. Should have gone harder lol.

Khan Sahab54

#titans
PAK...
AFG...
Lions
RCB...
Zalmi
MS
Manchester Originals
TPCL Titans
Profile Flag
Pakistan
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Congrats to Bangladesh on a historic test win :). TBH Bangladesh plays better without Shakib ;)

A.P Haux

The Meowest Avenger
AUS..
BNG..
Kings XI
RCB...
Melbourne Stars
Avengers
Profile Flag
Bangladesh
I did not see this coming. It took me some time to comprehend since how brilliant the match was, but looks like the giant slayers are back in the business, for now, maybe. They do it time and time again. The uncertainty is too much. Being a Bangladesh supporter is just strenuous for your mental health. But for now, we'll cherish this historic victory for days to come.

Users who are viewing this thread