Sri Lanka's Tour To New Zealand (Dec-Jan)

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
^ Excuses for the pitch begin. If however it was a spin friendly wicket, by now everyone including the ICC would have been rushing to bury it.

SL may even play out of their skin and score 400 by the end of days plays, but that wicket is too green, means its too green. Its been left so green with only one intention and that is to make it as suitable to the home team as possible, and provide as much assistance to the seam bowlers as possible.

However prepare a spin friendly wicket in Asia, and everyone just loses their heads.

Excuses? You're the one suggesting a pitch should be fined for excessive swing after watching some pretty standard swing in the first hour of the first day of a test match simply because it's green and because your own horrid pitch was fined spitting and turning with variable bounce on day 1.

A green pitch does not automatically equal excessive swing.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
^^

Yea early days but although as the commentators are saying its probably one of greenest wickets seen in a long time (i'm struggling to remember one like this myself) - its certainly isn't playing like a scary green seamer one bit. Maybe if conditions were overcast it might have.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
Instead of crying like a baby lets wait till day 5 and see how spinners have done. See the big difference is that we can say this Test match is going to da 5 which is supposed to happen...

PokerAce

Banned
Excuses? You're the one suggesting a pitch should be fined for excessive swing after watching some pretty standard swing in the first hour of the first day of a test match simply because it's green and because your own horrid pitch was fined spitting and turning with variable bounce on day 1.

A green pitch does not automatically equal excessive swing.

Ah "your own horrid pitch" lol ... my post clearly touched a nerve.

First of all I dont own any pitches and consequently didn't have to pay any fines. I also don't remember any horrid pitches being used during the SA tour to India, but the spineless batting from the SA batsmen all through the series, was definitely one of the most horrid I have seen in a while. Horrid pitches are horrid for both sides, so how is that one side was able to so consistently bash the other on the same 'horrid pitches'?

Also, your appalling pitch knowledge amazes me. Just how clueless are you about the nature of pitches. What is a green pitch meant for - think, think you will get there, think ... yes to aid seam movement off the pitch. The fact that you associate a green pitch with 'excessive swing' (highlighted the relevant parts of your quote in bold) ... shows how utterly clueless and ignorant you are about pitches to begin with. A green pitch doesn't aid swing, it does aid seam movement off the pitch. The more the grass the more the seam movement is helped. Seam movement off the pitch and swing are two different things.

That Hamilton pitch is green with, G-R-E-E-N, and green on the extreme side. The more extreme the pitch movement the more extreme the seam movement is going to be, if used correctly by the seam bowlers. Its the same as an extremely dry pitch, which if used correctly by the spinners will prove excessive spin.

That Hamilton pitch is definitely on the extreme green side and aimed to provide extreme help to the seam bowlers, and thus a poor pitch. If the seam bowlers are too fking inept at making use of the greenest pitch of the decade, then that doesn't make the pitch great. Same with a dry wicket, if the spinners don't bowl the right areas and keep bowling long hops on the pitch, it wouldn't make the pitch a batting paradise.

The point is not to lambast this pitch. The point is to show people react extreme to wickets designed to assist spin, but are perfectly fine with rubbish green wickets like the one in Hamilton. In fact like you are doing would go to any extent to even defend extreme green pitches, and even make excuses for that wicket. Both kinds of wickets are welcome as far as I go. The bashing that Asian pitches get, either flat or spin, is amusing to see especially when flat or seam friendly wickets, outside Asia have excuses made for them.

However its okay, don't try too hard, all this is probably rocket science to someone who can't even tell the difference between a ball swinging in a air, and a ball seaming off the wicket after pitching, and just what conditions aid which.

So you get back to what you know best - spinning wickets are ugly, green wickets are lovely.

Last edited:

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I really don't know what's worse, that awful Umpiring decision from the 3rd Umpire, or the rest of the batting from Sri Lanka. Dreadful all round.

_Sam_

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
England
I really don't know what's worse, that awful Umpiring decision from the 3rd Umpire, or the rest of the batting from Sri Lanka. Dreadful all round.

To be honest my initial thought when watching the slow motion was there was a clear deflection off the glove.

The batting though is absolutely crazy. How can you lose 10 wickets in just over 13 overs!?!?!

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I think the pitch is perfectly fine.

Reactions: Ohm

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
The only problem that Sri Lanka had with the pitch was the fact that it bounced to head high. I didn't see much of it (although most of Sri Lanka's innings) but it didn't seem to be uneven bounce, they just seemed to be happy hooking it down the throat of the fielders. You can't get out to a bouncer unless you try to play it, so why they didn't just try to get out of the way, I don't know.

grkrama

National Board President
1st Test: India v South Africa at Mohali, Nov 5-7, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

SA get out to straight deliveries playing for spin get shot for little over hundred [HASHTAG]#Blamethepitch[/HASHTAG] poor saffers were cheated and trapped

NZ 142/5 (42.0 ov, KS Williamson 78*, BJ Watling 0*, PVD Chameera 4/45) - Stumps | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

SL get out hooking going against bounce on a green bouncy wkt and get shot for a similar score [HASHTAG]#poortechnique[/HASHTAG] , SL batsman cant bat for life, SC players cant handle pace

both test cant be more similar to each other except one was a spinner other was seam with bounce, both tests exposed poor batting except one case pitches were blamed and in another the batsman!
Goes to show the tint of glass people wear!

War

Chairman of Selectors
Wow ha, unfortunately it seems many of you here (IND fans) are still holding feelings over the Nagpur test being called a poor & it perpetuating humourous delusions about this pitch being poor. :lol

I have watched majority of this test and it blatantly obvious that the surface has played much much better than the very green tinge in the wicket has made it look. I spoke to prominent media who in in Hamilton & this is what he said:

"It's not as bad as it looks. Nagpur pitch was definitely worse than this one.

I love rank turners, but within reason."

Anyone watching this test and drawing any correlation with Nagpur is in a dream world. :facepalm @Chewie

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread