Batting in career mode is a serious issue

Batting.

My first season I got ducks in nearly every innings. I was pre meditating foot selection and getting nowhere, I like most thought it happened too fast to do otherwise.

not so... I now watch the ball on to the bat and play both sticks together. Scored plenty of 50's including 89 and a couple of 80's.

Its a whole new game! Maiden ton is round the corner.

Do not pre meditate... trust your reflexes.

Batting.

I'm 54 years old - I no longer have reflexes. People check that I'm still breathing sometimes... ;)

My only real chance of no 'pre-meditation' tends to be with spinners. Fast bowlers mean I pull back on the left stick and hope I get the correct timing with the right and aim for the covers. It sometimes works and I get a six. *chuckles*

If they move fielders over there, then it's still pull back on the left and try to flick the right stick towards where I'm hoping the gap will be big enough to not be caught.

I would love to have my reflexes from 35 years ago back again - I sort of traded them in for experience and a battered body from 50 years of sport. Don't regret a moment of it though. :D

Yep, this is something that I have been spreading to my friends whoever came up with 'DBC is poor game & none of my shots go on ground'! Unfortunately casual gamers seem not to like this. Hard core cricket game fans get it but not the casual gamers(atleast in my friends circle).

career mode net change

hi, I'm half way through my first year of career mode on pro level and suddenly when I am practising in the nets to improve my skilsl I notice that I am down as a veteran in the nets.
Has anyone else noticed this and does it now mean that I will be on veteran level in the first class matches?

hi, I'm half way through my first year of career mode on pro level and suddenly when I am practising in the nets to improve my skilsl I notice that I am down as a veteran in the nets.
Has anyone else noticed this and does it now mean that I will be on veteran level in the first class matches?

I'm not sure if the level in the nets reflects the level in game play or not (it seems intuitive that it would, but I don't know).

The level goes up once when your helmet rank goes up, and again at international level. So if your helmet rank is higher than when you started, the difficulty has gone up.

I'm not sure if the level in the nets reflects the level in game play or not (it seems intuitive that it would, but I don't know).

The level goes up once when your helmet rank goes up, and again at international level. So if your helmet rank is higher than when you started, the difficulty has gone up.

What do you mean by helmet rank?

What do you mean by helmet rank?

In the main page of your career, there is a helmet at the top left with a number in it. If you start as a 16 year-old, this is a number 1.

When you get enough skills, the number will go up. At the same point the difficulty level goes up.

Annoying difficulty increase.

Thanks for the reply.

The number on my helmet has gone up to 2 and I guess you are correct that this has caused the difficulty to go up to veteran. I have to admit that pisses me off because I was just beginning to get abit of consistency and not being the worst player on the team. Now Im back to struggling again and that's not enjoyable.

I can understand it when I go up to international level but when Im trying to make it at first class level its just disheartening.:mad

is anyone else understanding why difficulty level keeps increasing per season basis on a career mode, then whats the point in having the option of selecting amateur for example? :noway

Yeah, I certainly don't get why it happens at the first change in helmet level - that should happen so soon into a career that your initial choice is pointless.

And the problem is that if it happened at rank 3, you'd basically be on the verge of International selection and get two bumps in difficulty in quick succession.

When I read about that initially I assumed the difficulty bump would be at helmet 4 or 5, once you've made it really far along and once you have been playing at the international level for ages. That's to me the only way it would make sense.

When you're clearly succeeding and have a base of skills is when it should go up if at all, but I'd have probably given up on my original console career if that first difficulty bump was included - I'd been plodding around for 5 years starting at Veteran, being right against the difficulty curve for most of that and only just starting to get success towards the end of that time when my skills got over helmet 3 - just in time for the bump up at international level.

I can't imagine trying a batsman career any more - given pro is the only difficulty I can get a decent innings while not being able to hit everything for six. The only way I could is if I took all the fun out of it and started at 31 so I had enough skills to have a buffer.

It's an unnecessary setback to happen so early on in a career, while you'd still be getting to grips with things - especially if as it was for me, career basically being your introduction to playing the game.

Certainly, the bumps in difficulty in career mode are seriously disheartening if you are a batsman. I remember scoring my first century in my career, getting a bump and then not even getting the 30s in my next year. Then, as soon as I scored few half centuries, got another bump and even after 10 years I am still sorting my gameplan for successful career at legend. Naturally, I never scored another century. The hateful thing about these bumps is that in your first career when you are just starting to get used to batting at certain difficulty, it goes up and you can't get your rewards for all that work you put into your batting. I am all for increase in difficulty but they just happen too soon here.

Last edited:
The other option of course is to let people enjoy their career modes and not force difficulty bumps on people?

Surely it should be optional to go up difficulty levels, like most other games.

FWIW, the difficulty bump is one of the reasons I'm playing an all-rounder in the career I've finally decided to play all the way through.

Because in order to get a helmet bump, both batting and bowling skills have to be high enough :)

----------

is anyone else understanding why difficulty level keeps increasing per season basis on a career mode, then whats the point in having the option of selecting amateur for example? :noway

If it's increasing every season, that's a bug.

It's supposed to bump once when your helmet rank goes up, and once when you hit international.

Although with the international one I don't know if it's a permanent bump or if it only applies during internationals. I haven't played a single career long enough to get there :)

----------

Certainly, the bumps in difficulty in career mode are seriously disheartening if you are a batsman. I remember scoring my first century in my career, getting a bump and then not even getting the 30s in my next year. Then, as soon as I scored few half centuries, got another bump and even after 10 years I am still sorting my gameplan for successful career at legend. Naturally, I never scored another century. The hateful thing about these bumps is that in your first career when you are just starting to get used to batting at certain difficulty, it goes up and you can't get your rewards for all that work you put into your batting. I am all for increase in difficulty but they just happen too soon here.

Again, what you're reporting is a bug.

One for the first helmet rank, one for international. It is supposed to top out at two difficulty bumps (or Legend if you start high enough)

It's not that bad...

I've seen and heard a lot of people complaining that batting is too hard, and it really isn't, it's just a steep learning curve and a matter of patience.

I've had the game for about 3 days now and have put in 8 hours of play (according to Steam), which includes periods of pausing and sitting in menus doing next to nothing on the game, and decided to restart my career after getting some batting practice in (playing casual games, net practice, etc).

I made 4 runs in my first 4 day test, but then seemed to find my form in the first 40 over a side game and put on 65 not out off 45 balls.

I've quickly found that you can't just walk to the wicket and start hitting the ball to all corners, you're still an amateur in the career and you can't expect to always score big runs. The AI bowlers are quite clever with their changes in pace too, and sometimes they get you with that slower ball.

The difference between bowling and batting... timing isn't the big factor with bowling... ALL cricket games have that one way to bowl to continually get wickets, the guys from Cricket Heroes have been trying to patch the one I found there for about a month already :D

So have patience guys/gals, your batting form will come, it just takes patience... I'm sure my batting form won't stick around for long, I may just fail dismally again tonight.

I've seen and heard a lot of people complaining that batting is too hard, and it really isn't, it's just a steep learning curve and a matter of patience.

I've had the game for about 3 days now and have put in 8 hours of play (according to Steam), which includes periods of pausing and sitting in menus doing next to nothing on the game, and decided to restart my career after getting some batting practice in (playing casual games, net practice, etc).

I made 4 runs in my first 4 day test, but then seemed to find my form in the first 40 over a side game and put on 65 not out off 45 balls.

I've quickly found that you can't just walk to the wicket and start hitting the ball to all corners, you're still an amateur in the career and you can't expect to always score big runs. The AI bowlers are quite clever with their changes in pace too, and sometimes they get you with that slower ball.

The difference between bowling and batting... timing isn't the big factor with bowling... ALL cricket games have that one way to bowl to continually get wickets, the guys from Cricket Heroes have been trying to patch the one I found there for about a month already :D

So have patience guys/gals, your batting form will come, it just takes patience... I'm sure my batting form won't stick around for long, I may just fail dismally again tonight.

I totally agree, batting is not that hard.....yes, it takes time before you get a good average up, but rushing into hitting the big ones is definitely not the way to go (except for T20's, there I just cannot conrtol myself :facepalm )

Especially in one days and 4 days, take your time. I normally start of with raking in the 5xp's you get from 3 blocks per over, after I have done that, I would maybe use 1 ball to get a run or 2 or 4, but untill my confidence isn't at least 3/4 full, I get my blocks in. The other batsman can go for the chances until I am ready.

Users who are viewing this thread