Story BBC & England Cricket: The Toss!

Do You Like My Story?

• Yeah, Its Great!

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • It's Ok, But I've seen better!

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Don't Like It, Try and Improve!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Worst story I have ever seen! Good Condender for WSOTM!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

thesweepmaster

County Cricketer
Oh very nice, loving the picture you've created there. I'm expecting England to win considering how good England seemed to be when you play as them:p.

BTW just alittle tip for your story, maybe a small update about the team news and interviews with the players would push this story to greatness, but other than that it is perfect!!!!!:)

saladguy

PCPL Season 2: Outstanding Performer (Division 2)
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
The Ashes - The Big Preview

Well, it is that time again where we begin to look forward to the English summer when Australia tour! And most of all the Ashes! The Ashes one of the most pretigious awards in the history of the game and one that has been riddled with Australian dominance especially since the late 80's through the 90's and then into the millenium.

Of course there was a certain Ashes series in 2005 where Australia were tipped for a 5-0 whitewash and certainly Aussie bowler Glenn McGrath thought so! :p However for the first time since Botham's Ashes, England took the series 2-1 with some great wins at the Edgbaston Cricket Ground, which was when England became triumphant winning by just 2 runs and with the winning runs being hit by a certain Ashley Giles as they took a 2-1 at Trent Bridge with just one npower Test Match to go!

However the Aussies where hurt by there loss and this time responded with a whitewash on home turf, which saw the end of Aussie cricket legends such as Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, Damien Martyn and Justin Langer. And since then Adam Gilchrist has also quit the game. So the question is how will the Aussies fair coming to England for the first time since many key players have retired?

Well that's what we asked some BBC pundits and cricketers throughout the world what they thought about England's chances of winning the Ashes!

David Gower (Ex England and BBC Commentator): "Well it will be tough for England but I believe that they can do it. Australia are still strong since Gilly, Warne and McGrath have retired so I also fancy them. I can see Andy Symonds, Clarke and Ponting terrorising England and that's why my head says Australia. However my heart says England!"

Ian Botham (Ex England and BBC Commentator): "Well I can't see England winning the Ashes im afraid! :( I just think that the Aussie side is too strong and that they will be too hot to handle! 3-1 to Australia is my prediction!" :(

Duncan Fletcher (Ex England Coach): I believe strongly will win. We have a talented squad who have much experience! I can see Mikey Vaughan leading the team to victory this summer! :happy "

Aussie captain Ricky Ponting answering the question-(Will Australia complete a successive whitewash this summer?): Of course! :) We are the World Champions and no side can beat us! Can you possibly see England getting any result out of a test match against us? Well here's your answer! No! ;)

England captain Michael Vaughan: "We will win! The question is how we will do it! :p And we need to find that answer and fast........."

The Ashes! Starting soon!​

Last edited:

saladguy

Test Match Special!

David Gower: Hello there. I'm David Gower and we are presently live at Cardiff in anticipation of what is to come in this first test match in the npower Ashes Series 2009. We are currently awaiting team news and we will bring it to you first here on the BBC. Joining us today in the studio and commentary box are....Glenn McGrath, former Aussie bowler.

Glenn McGrath: Thanks David :)

David Gower: Along with another Australian legend Shane Warne and they are with Nasser Hussain and Michael Atherton. :)

Shane Warne: It's good to be with you! :D

Now team news is just approaching us and there are no real suprises. I will just give you the teams in full:

ENGLAND

K.Pietersen
A.Cook
I.Bell
P.Collingwood (C)
O.Shah
A.Flintoff
T.Ambrose
S.Broad
R.Sidebottom
J.Anderson
M.Panasar

Of course injuries are playing a part in that revised England line-up with captain Michael Vaughan and Matthew Hoggard both out injured.

The Australian line-up is as expected with Brad Hogg coming out of retirement, and here is the team in full:

AUSTRALIA

P.Jaques
M.Hayden
A.Symonds
R.Ponting (C)
M.Clarke
M.Hussey
B.Haddin
B.Hogg
B.Lee
S.Clark
N.Bracken

We are going to take a break now but stay tuned as when we come back the toss will commence! :D

Last edited:

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Those teams aren't in the correct batting order are they ? I hope not :p.

Look forward to the next update, good to see Freddie back in the side, not sure who's going to open with Cook, what with Strauss and Vaughan both out of the side. None of the other players are test match openers, Bell certainly isn't good enough to open in test cricket. Going to be interesting to see how England set their batting line-up.

saladguy

No its not the correct batting order! :p

Does anyone want a spoiler?

thesweepmaster

County Cricketer
I don't want a spoiler no. I see that you may have listened to me:p, only joking, England may steal this one as I think the Aussie bowlers may not cope with the England batting, however that could be said the other way round.

Brilliant updates mate, keep it up!:)

Highlander999

ICC President
Very good update, I really like the way you presented that. Maybe you could have put the squads in alphabetical order????

Anyway that doesn't really matter as this is looking very good. Keep it up :)

saladguy

The Toss

Michael Atherton: Hello, we are currently live at Cardiff and here with me I have the match referee who is alongside Michael Vaughan and Ricky Ponting. The toss will be commencing in just a second or two on this wonderful bright sunny day at Lords, here in North London. Okay, so here we go...

Ricky Ponting: Heads!

Michael Atherton: So there you have it's heads and Ricky Ponting has won the toss. Ricky, a quick word over here please for BBC Sport! So, what are you going to do?

Ricky Ponting: We are going to bat first, there is a good batting wicket and we hope to post a good first innings total to set the pace for the game.

Michael Atherton: Yes, it really is a glorious day out here, best of luck today.

Ricky Ponting: Thanks Michael.

Michael Atherton: Well with me now is Michael Vaughan, happy with that?

Michael Vaughan: Well, no. We would of prefered to bat first however I am sure that our bowling attack can produce the goods today and I am still feeling confident about bowling Australia out today.

Michael Atherton: Okay, so there you have it! Australia have won the toss and elected to bat first. Back to the studio!

Users who are viewing this thread