Story Behind Enemy Lines - An Ashes Cricket Story

swacker

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Thanks mate, always great to hear that people are following along. There's not a lot of traffic in here since Cricket 19 went live, but nice to see people are still poking their head in :)

yeah true. I have been playing Ashes 2017 a lot lately since the PC version of 2019 haven't been out yet, and I am enjoying it.

Thinking to start a story myself after seeing yours. :)

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
yeah true. I have been playing Ashes 2017 a lot lately since the PC version of 2019 haven't been out yet, and I am enjoying it.

Thinking to start a story myself after seeing yours. :)

That’s awesome! I love it when people feel inspired to do something themselves after reading. A fair few stories popped up on here when I first started this story, that was really cool to.

If you do start a story, drop me a tag in one of the intro posts and I’ll follow. I don’t go in the Cricket 19 forum so I’d miss it otherwise

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Ashes 2019 - 22 AUGUST 2019

2019 Ashes, 3rd Test - Headingley, Leeds.

England v Australia, Australia lead 2-0

jrptX0i.jpg

Nasser Hussain: “Good morning from a bright and sunny Headingley as we join England on the brink. Losses at Edgbaston and Lord’s mean there is now no room for error if the Ashes are to be won by Joe Root's side. We expect to get underway at the traditional time of 11:00am this morning after struggling in London a week ago. I’ve got Adam Gilchrist and Michael Vaughan with me, and Adam to you first. What do Australia need to do here to win? They’ve looked pretty solid 2 games in.”

rHr35tA.jpg

Adam Gilchrist: “Thanks Nas, and good morning everybody. I think this Australian team might have been a little bit underestimated coming in, and maybe their lack of a result at the World Cup overshadowed things a bit as well. This is still a solid side and Tim Paine will have the boys up for this one. The bowling so far, particularly from Starc and Cummins has caused England plenty of problems, and the batting has generally backed that up as well. If Australia can continue to execute, they should have no problem continuing their recent form.”

zvv3SxG.jpg

Michael Vaughan: “England are hard to take a punt on at the moment. They look down on themselves, there’s no energy when you see them in the field. The boys gave it a good effort in warm up this morning, new game, new chapter, but I wonder how they will respond as a unit if and when they come up against some adversity early. When you’re losing games, it’s easy to get down on yourself and if that happens, it’ll be curtains for England.”

NH: “Tough indeed, but England appear to have some team news that will be of interest, and we'll take a look at how the all important toss goes."

NH: “Australia win their 2nd toss of the series after losing one at Lord’s, and unsurprisingly they have elected to have a bat on what looks to be a pretty good strip here at Headingley.”

MV: “It’ll come as little surprise to you Nas that I’ve seen a fair bit of cricket here, and it looks to be exactly the sort of pitch you’d expect here in Leeds. Yorkshire has been using it to good effect and I think it’ll offer some help to England’s bowlers early on. We know what Jimmy Anderson can do, Sam Curran now has a chance to step up to the mark as well. And then there’s Olly Stone. I think that Mark Woods and Lewis Gregory will be upset to have missed out, but England want to get Stone involved, especially after what happened last winter. That said, this is typical test match stuff. Australia will be looking to avoid losing wickets in the morning session, before taking advantage themselves as the day wears on.”

MG: “Stone is an interesting choice, but what about Hameed? That was a bit of a left field pick from my perspective! They have plenty of other more tested options but clearly they see something in the young man that they like and feel he can add to the team here. I think it’s a very tough situation to put him in with the team struggling and this test being must win for England, but maybe that adversity brings the best out of him, and the rest of the Joe Root’s side.”

NH: “He’s had plenty of runs this summer and has an average north of 50 in First Class cricket right now. Is it the right time to put Hameed back in? And likewise is it a bit too early for Olly Stone following that stress fracture in his back?”

MV: “We all know what Hameed is capable of after those knocks against India. Some will say he’s better suited to spin, and he is good against the turning ball, but he has scored plenty of runs on these kinds of tracks and in these kinds of conditions, that’s what County Cricket is all about. This will be more about the pressure and the occasion, and he’ll be itching to get back in the pavilion whenever Australia are out, get the pads on and go and bat.”

AG: “I think Olly Stone will be a bit of an unknown for Australia at this point. His name was being banded around as a potential change ahead of this game, but making his debut, it’ll be interesting to see what he can bring to this side. Personally I’d have gone for someone with a bit more ability to swing and seam it, a Gregory maybe, but England feel they need a change, something a bit different, and Stone is the man. Australia are unchanged by the way, let’s not forget about that, all this England talk! Unchanged and looking confident.”

NH: “And for all this noise about England’s changes, they need to get more from the players that are still in the line up. Stokes, Buttler and Ali in particular have shown flashes, but nobody has managed to put it all together for a real innings changing knock. Root and Bairstow have done well but have had to rebuild after poor starts, and Dawid Malan really needs to come good if he’s going to retain his place.”

MV: “Lots of question marks, for sure. But that’s the opportunity England have. Most people, including myself and probably Adam here as well, will have counted England out following the first two tests. They have nothing to lose right now as the underdog and perhaps that will suit them here.”

NH: “We’re about to find out as the teams are on the way towards the middle. England have enjoyed some famous victories on this ground over the years, including against this team in big Ashes series. Are we set for another one over the next five days? Let’s find out. Over to the guys in the commentary box, and my thanks to Michael Vaughan and Adam Gilchrist for their company this morning.”

TEAMS

ENGLAND
AUSTRALIA
1) Haseeb Hameed​
1) Marcus Harris​
2) Joe Denly​
2) Matt Renshaw​
3) Dawid Malan​
3) Usman Khawaja​
4) Joe Root (C)​
4) Kurtis Patterson​
5) Jonny Bairstow (WK)​
5) Travis Head​
6) Ben Stokes​
6) Tim Paine (C/WK)​
7) Jos Buttler​
7) Marcus Stoinis​
8) Moeen Ali​
8) Pat Cummins​
9) Sam Curran​
9) Mitchell Starc​
10) Olly Stone​
10) Nathan Lyon​
11) James Anderson​
11) Josh Hazelwood​

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

Lunch Day 1

Australia 1st innings - 110-5, 32.0 overs, T.Paine 39, J.Anderson 8-2-22-3

A7CD0eN.jpg

Michael Atherton: "The perfect start for England, and you feel they have absolutely had the best of the early going. Australia scored well in that session but it was costly for them, they'll need to rebuild after lunch. David Lloyd has joined me from the commentary box, and I've got a chance to say hello to Adam Gilchrist for the first time this summer, so good afternoon Gilly."

rHr35tA.jpg

Adam Gilchrist: “Thanks Athers, it’s good to see you again. I said this morning when I was chatting to Nas that Australia just needed to apply themselves. Play the conditions, keep the foot down and put the ball back in England’s court. There’s been too many loose shots for me, and now they’ve put themselves in a hole.”

KMlJrvZ.jpg

David Lloyd: “Spot on that, I’d say. We all know that you have to suit your style to where you’re playing. If you look at some pitches around the world, say across in Asia, the hotter the day gets, the drier the pitch is, the more it spins, and you need to make your hay early. It’s the opposite here, we all know that. See off that new ball, get the shine off it, and then look to take advantage in the afternoon and evening. Australia will be lucky to still be batting at tea at this rate. Poor, for me.”

MA: “Australia have certainly been the aggressors in this series so far, but it didn’t quite work for them this morning. Let’s take a look at what happened.”

MA: “A prominent return to form for Jimmy Anderson Bumble, any thoughts on that?”

DL: “He’s deserved it, you’d have to say. He has bowled well and the Australians maybe didn’t show him the respect he deserved at times. It cost them, mind. Perhaps could have been very different had he not got off the mark with that very close LBW of Renshaw. There’s still that chatter out there, the Indians like to do it, about how accurate ball tracking is, and there was zero margin for error in that decision. Mighty close to being outside the line, and clipping the stumps by a fraction. But it got him up and running and he grew in confidence from there.”

AG: “I must say, I didn’t like it. It didn't look out when I saw it and that's usually the gut instinct to go with, but it is what it is and when that finger goes up, you’ve got to walk. It didn’t look out though. What did look out was the one to Marcus Harris. We’ve seen it once already this series with Joe Burns at Edgbaston, the big leave, and then off peg comes out. He’ll be frustrated it moved so much, but ultimately if there’s a chance, you’ve got to get your bat there.”

MA: “It was a bit of an anomaly that ball, nothing else really moved that much throughout the session, even when Moeen Ali came on to bowl. Speaking of which, another wicket for him. He’s looked good this summer so far.”

DL: “He has, though England’s quick bowlers haven’t really done anything of note so far! Australia have tried to take him on but the wicket of Travis Head right before lunch will have really hurt Australia. Tim Paine is still there though, he looks to have the bit between his teeth, typical captain’s innings. Stoinis needs to stay with him at the other end to, he's not done much this series so far.”

MA: “England are on top here at Headingley and Australia need to make a stand in this afternoon session. To see if they can do it, let’s head back down to the field.”

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan

Lunch Day 1

Australia 1st innings - 110-5, 32.0 overs, T.Paine 39, J.Anderson 8-2-22-3

A7CD0eN.jpg

Michael Atherton: "The perfect start for England, and you feel they have absolutely had the best of the early going. Australia scored well in that session but it was costly for them, they'll need to rebuild after lunch. David Lloyd has joined me from the commentary box, and I've got a chance to say hello to Adam Gilchrist for the first time this summer, so good afternoon Gilly."

rHr35tA.jpg

Adam Gilchrist: “Thanks Athers, it’s good to see you again. I said this morning when I was chatting to Nas that Australia just needed to apply themselves. Play the conditions, keep the foot down and put the ball back in England’s court. There’s been too many loose shots for me, and now they’ve put themselves in a hole.”

KMlJrvZ.jpg

David Lloyd: “Spot on that, I’d say. We all know that you have to suit your style to where you’re playing. If you look at some pitches around the world, say across in Asia, the hotter the day gets, the drier the pitch is, the more it spins, and you need to make your hay early. It’s the opposite here, we all know that. See off that new ball, get the shine off it, and then look to take advantage in the afternoon and evening. Australia will be lucky to still be batting at tea at this rate. Poor, for me.”

MA: “Australia have certainly been the aggressors in this series so far, but it didn’t quite work for them this morning. Let’s take a look at what happened.”

MA: “A prominent return to form for Jimmy Anderson Bumble, any thoughts on that?”

DL: “He’s deserved it, you’d have to say. He has bowled well and the Australians maybe didn’t show him the respect he deserved at times. It cost them, mind. Perhaps could have been very different had he not got off the mark with that very close LBW of Renshaw. There’s still that chatter out there, the Indians like to do it, about how accurate ball tracking is, and there was zero margin for error in that decision. Mighty close to being outside the line, and clipping the stumps by a fraction. But it got him up and running and he grew in confidence from there.”

AG: “I must say, I didn’t like it. It didn't look out when I saw it and that's usually the gut instinct to go with, but it is what it is and when that finger goes up, you’ve got to walk. It didn’t look out though. What did look out was the one to Marcus Harris. We’ve seen it once already this series with Joe Burns at Edgbaston, the big leave, and then off peg comes out. He’ll be frustrated it moved so much, but ultimately if there’s a chance, you’ve got to get your bat there.”

MA: “It was a bit of an anomaly that ball, nothing else really moved that much throughout the session, even when Moeen Ali came on to bowl. Speaking of which, another wicket for him. He’s looked good this summer so far.”

DL: “He has, though England’s quick bowlers haven’t really done anything of note so far! Australia have tried to take him on but the wicket of Travis Head right before lunch will have really hurt Australia. Tim Paine is still there though, he looks to have the bit between his teeth, typical captain’s innings. Stoinis needs to stay with him at the other end to, he's not done much this series so far.”

MA: “England are on top here at Headingley and Australia need to make a stand in this afternoon session. To see if they can do it, let’s head back down to the field.”
Excellent mate.Its always a pleasure to read this.Why dont you switch to Cricket 19 now?

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Excellent mate.Its always a pleasure to read this.Why dont you switch to Cricket 19 now?

Thanks, that’s very kind of you! Hope you enjoy things the rest of the way as well.

I’ve not moved over to Cricket 19 for a number of reasons. One is consistency, as things might get a little whacky if I suddenly change things up. Different player ratings, sliders etc, so just planning on keeping things the same.

I’m also a total cheapskate and I’m willing to wait on Cricket 19 until the price totally bottoms out on it. I’ve not seen much about it since release, but given the amount of manual tinkering and tuning that Ashes needed to be decent, I’m not holding my breath that Cricket 19 isn’t the same. In which case, I want to pay as little for it as possible lol

If I do decide to continue this story and extend it to Australia’s post-Ashes schedule, I may switch over to Cricket 19 then.

At the moment writing this stuff up, plus finding time to play, compile highlights, edit them together, that’s taking up a fair bit of time. Plus playing other games I enjoy (Golf Club 2019 and Football Manager 2019 at present). Happy to stay put for now.

Thanks for reading and following along though. Who is your money on to take my series? :)

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Thanks, that’s very kind of you! Hope you enjoy things the rest of the way as well.

I’ve not moved over to Cricket 19 for a number of reasons. One is consistency, as things might get a little whacky if I suddenly change things up. Different player ratings, sliders etc, so just planning on keeping things the same.

I’m also a total cheapskate and I’m willing to wait on Cricket 19 until the price totally bottoms out on it. I’ve not seen much about it since release, but given the amount of manual tinkering and tuning that Ashes needed to be decent, I’m not holding my breath that Cricket 19 isn’t the same. In which case, I want to pay as little for it as possible lol

If I do decide to continue this story and extend it to Australia’s post-Ashes schedule, I may switch over to Cricket 19 then.

At the moment writing this stuff up, plus finding time to play, compile highlights, edit them together, that’s taking up a fair bit of time. Plus playing other games I enjoy (Golf Club 2019 and Football Manager 2019 at present). Happy to stay put for now.

Thanks for reading and following along though. Who is your money on to take my series? :)
England will win it.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England

Tea Day 1

Australia 1st innings - 226-7, 62.0 overs, T.Paine 107*, J.Anderson 17-4-44-5

KMlJrvZ.jpg

David Lloyd: “All England this morning then, but a good fight back from Australia in the afternoon sees the Aussies recover to 226-7. Just two wickets lost in the session but they both went to Jimmy Anderson who now has 5 for the innings. Shane Warne and Michael Vaughan join me, let’s have a natter, eh?”

OTveoAC.jpg

Shane Warne: “Too right Bumble! Better session from Australia, but it could have been so different. Straight after lunch England have Paine edging, but the chance goes down at slip. That would have been 110-6, and although they didn’t have to wait long to get Stoinis, Paine is still there and now has triple digits to his name. Amazingly, they dropped him twice more in the session! If that winds up costing England, they’ll have nobody to blame but themselves.”

zvv3SxG.jpg

Michael Vaughan: “Cover your eyes time for England, not good cricket. Young Hameed dropped two of them. He fields at slip for Lancashire and has a good pair of hands, but maybe he just took his eye off things, or his mind wasn’t quite on it. England have done well to chip away around Paine as he scored, but they should have had him.”

DL: "Lot's to watch from this afternoon, let's have a look."

DL: “There’s a bit of an English feel to this Australian innings so far. A weak start, then some support further down the order.”

SW: “Yeah, credit to Cummins and Starc for staying with the skipper to help him put some runs on. Cummins was looking solid until Anderson beat him, but there’s no shame in that from a guy who bats at number 8. 57 runs between Cummins and Paine and 50 from Starc and Paine has kept this innings afloat.”

MV: “I enjoyed watching Pat Cummins, he’s no mug with the bat. And Mitchell Starc is pretty handy as well. Australia will just be telling their guys to bat for Paine, keep him there, who knows they might go on to post 300+ and that should be a par score. That will be what they’re looking for in that dressing room during the tea break. Keep building.”

DL: “A quick word on Anderson. Back to his best?”

MV: “He’s been good, hasn’t he? He looks to have the ball on the money, he’s got it moving around, he’s been tough to play. The other England bowlers have struggled in patches, they’ve been expensive, but Jimmy has carried his side here. It’s a welcome return to form, this series needed it.”

DL: "I'll have to stop you both there as the teams are trotting back out onto the field. England won session one, you'd argue Australia pipped session two. Which way will this one go?"

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan

Tea Day 1

Australia 1st innings - 226-7, 62.0 overs, T.Paine 107*, J.Anderson 17-4-44-5

KMlJrvZ.jpg

David Lloyd: “All England this morning then, but a good fight back from Australia in the afternoon sees the Aussies recover to 226-7. Just two wickets lost in the session but they both went to Jimmy Anderson who now has 5 for the innings. Shane Warne and Michael Vaughan join me, let’s have a natter, eh?”

OTveoAC.jpg

Shane Warne: “Too right Bumble! Better session from Australia, but it could have been so different. Straight after lunch England have Paine edging, but the chance goes down at slip. That would have been 110-6, and although they didn’t have to wait long to get Stoinis, Paine is still there and now has triple digits to his name. Amazingly, they dropped him twice more in the session! If that winds up costing England, they’ll have nobody to blame but themselves.”

zvv3SxG.jpg

Michael Vaughan: “Cover your eyes time for England, not good cricket. Young Hameed dropped two of them. He fields at slip for Lancashire and has a good pair of hands, but maybe he just took his eye off things, or his mind wasn’t quite on it. England have done well to chip away around Paine as he scored, but they should have had him.”

DL: "Lot's to watch from this afternoon, let's have a look."

DL: “There’s a bit of an English feel to this Australian innings so far. A weak start, then some support further down the order.”

SW: “Yeah, credit to Cummins and Starc for staying with the skipper to help him put some runs on. Cummins was looking solid until Anderson beat him, but there’s no shame in that from a guy who bats at number 8. 57 runs between Cummins and Paine and 50 from Starc and Paine has kept this innings afloat.”

MV: “I enjoyed watching Pat Cummins, he’s no mug with the bat. And Mitchell Starc is pretty handy as well. Australia will just be telling their guys to bat for Paine, keep him there, who knows they might go on to post 300+ and that should be a par score. That will be what they’re looking for in that dressing room during the tea break. Keep building.”

DL: “A quick word on Anderson. Back to his best?”

MV: “He’s been good, hasn’t he? He looks to have the ball on the money, he’s got it moving around, he’s been tough to play. The other England bowlers have struggled in patches, they’ve been expensive, but Jimmy has carried his side here. It’s a welcome return to form, this series needed it.”

DL: "I'll have to stop you both there as the teams are trotting back out onto the field. England won session one, you'd argue Australia pipped session two. Which way will this one go?"
Another beauty! Great Work.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Apologies, I’m currently on holiday so just thought I’d drop an update from my phone.

I should be back with something the middle of next week, thanks for the patience!

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Apologies, I’m currently on holiday so just thought I’d drop an update from my phone.

I should be back with something the middle of next week, thanks for the patience!
No worries. Enjoy your holidays.

Rumple43

Survival Games Finalist
Survival Games Finalist
Profile Flag
England
Close Day 1
Australia 1st innings - 275, 72.1 overs, T.Paine 128, J.Anderson 22-5-76-5
England 1st innings - 64-1, 18 overs, J.Denly 31, P.Cummins 5-0-23-1
jrptX0i.jpg

Nasser Hussain: Just the one casualty for England before the close then, but they have made some good headway to end this 1st day of the 3rd test from Headingley. Australia managed to get themselves to 275 after winning the toss and electing to bat, and I've got Ricky Ponting and David Lloyd here to talk through the day's play before we have a quick chat with England's 5 wicket man Jimmy Anderson."

HwkCByp.jpg

Ricky Ponting: "Thanks Nas, and hello to everyone for the first time this summer. I think Australia will be a bit disappointed that they didn't manage more on this wicket. It hasn't done all that much and looks to be a good strip to bat on. Tim Paine will be happy with his own score, but 275 is probably about 75 runs shy of a decent total. They lost their last few wickets fairly cheaply as well, otherwise they might have made it to 300 at least."

KMlJrvZ.jpg

David Lloyd: "I think you're probably right there Ricky. Australia didn't look the same unit that seemed so comfortable in the previous two tests, and they need to have a good few sessions with the ball to stay ahead here. I thought Hazelwood bowled well. He looked very tidy, but it was Cummins who got the wicket of Denly with a ball that just seemed to beat him for pace."

NH: "Let's have a quick look at that wicket, and the end of Australia's innings as well.

NH: "Ricky, a quick word on Hameed as we wait for Jimmy to join us?"

RP: "I though he looked pretty good in that session. He had to ride his luck a little bit, Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins all sent balls past the outside edge with no success but sometimes you just have to do that as a batsman. You make your own luck and he'll be hoping to go on and make a decent score tomorrow morning."

NH: "Here's the man of the moment, Jimmy Anderson. Thanks for joining us. First of all, how did it feel to get back into the wickets out there?"

qiGrOvR.jpg

James Anderson: "Yeah, pretty good! It hasn't been the ideal start to the series, I've had a few niggles and it's taken a bit of time to get going. Fortunately the ball did a bit and we were able to get after Australia early. Hopefully we're set up for a good day tomorrow with the bat and I get my feet up."

NH: "It certainly looked like reports of your demise have been greatly exaggerated!"

JA: "Yeah, I think the press always like to get the headlines out there that you're done and a spent force. They might be waiting a while to get that one out again though, I'm just trying to enjoy my cricket, stay healthy and help the team win. We're still in this series and we think we can get a result here to move back to 2-1."

NH: "Finally, a word on the new boys. A first test wicket for Olly Stone, and some early runs for Haseeb Hameed."

JA: "Everyone is delighted for the lads. It was great to see Olly get a wicket. He's had a tough stretch with injuries but he can be a real talent given the opportunity. Haseeb is full of confidence and you can see it in him that he wants to do well after having to take a back seat for a few years. He's hungry for it and he'll do well tomorrow. He's one for the future, but don't sleep on him now. He's a real talent."

NH: "Thanks Jimmy, you enjoy some rest and good luck the rest of the way. Guys, a quick word from you before we call it a night."

DL: "I think Jimmy is right, and we'll see lots more of Haseeb in this series. It's a bit early to say if he'll be a difference maker, but he certainly looks to have given England a boost at the top of the order. I'll be interested to see what he does tomorrow, it'll be another important session if England are going to keep this series alive."

RP: "I'm looking at Australia's bowlers and seeing who can really make a dent here. We know all the quicks can do it when needed, can Nathan Lyon come to the party? He's been quiet, but Australia would love some wickets from him to keep the 1st innings totals as close as possible."

NH: "Thanks to you both. Can England make some runs tomorrow to move ahead, or will Australia be able to fight back? Play starts at 11:00am, we'll see you there!"

AsadRM

Panel of Selectors
PAK...
RCB...
LQ
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Close Day 1
Australia 1st innings - 275, 72.1 overs, T.Paine 128, J.Anderson 22-5-76-5
England 1st innings - 64-1, 18 overs, J.Denly 31, P.Cummins 5-0-23-1
jrptX0i.jpg

Nasser Hussain: Just the one casualty for England before the close then, but they have made some good headway to end this 1st day of the 3rd test from Headingley. Australia managed to get themselves to 275 after winning the toss and electing to bat, and I've got Ricky Ponting and David Lloyd here to talk through the day's play before we have a quick chat with England's 5 wicket man Jimmy Anderson."

HwkCByp.jpg

Ricky Ponting: "Thanks Nas, and hello to everyone for the first time this summer. I think Australia will be a bit disappointed that they didn't manage more on this wicket. It hasn't done all that much and looks to be a good strip to bat on. Tim Paine will be happy with his own score, but 275 is probably about 75 runs shy of a decent total. They lost their last few wickets fairly cheaply as well, otherwise they might have made it to 300 at least."

KMlJrvZ.jpg

David Lloyd: "I think you're probably right there Ricky. Australia didn't look the same unit that seemed so comfortable in the previous two tests, and they need to have a good few sessions with the ball to stay ahead here. I thought Hazelwood bowled well. He looked very tidy, but it was Cummins who got the wicket of Denly with a ball that just seemed to beat him for pace."

NH: "Let's have a quick look at that wicket, and the end of Australia's innings as well.

NH: "Ricky, a quick word on Hameed as we wait for Jimmy to join us?"

RP: "I though he looked pretty good in that session. He had to ride his luck a little bit, Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins all sent balls past the outside edge with no success but sometimes you just have to do that as a batsman. You make your own luck and he'll be hoping to go on and make a decent score tomorrow morning."

NH: "Here's the man of the moment, Jimmy Anderson. Thanks for joining us. First of all, how did it feel to get back into the wickets out there?"

qiGrOvR.jpg

James Anderson: "Yeah, pretty good! It hasn't been the ideal start to the series, I've had a few niggles and it's taken a bit of time to get going. Fortunately the ball did a bit and we were able to get after Australia early. Hopefully we're set up for a good day tomorrow with the bat and I get my feet up."

NH: "It certainly looked like reports of your demise have been greatly exaggerated!"

JA: "Yeah, I think the press always like to get the headlines out there that you're done and a spent force. They might be waiting a while to get that one out again though, I'm just trying to enjoy my cricket, stay healthy and help the team win. We're still in this series and we think we can get a result here to move back to 2-1."

NH: "Finally, a word on the new boys. A first test wicket for Olly Stone, and some early runs for Haseeb Hameed."

JA: "Everyone is delighted for the lads. It was great to see Olly get a wicket. He's had a tough stretch with injuries but he can be a real talent given the opportunity. Haseeb is full of confidence and you can see it in him that he wants to do well after having to take a back seat for a few years. He's hungry for it and he'll do well tomorrow. He's one for the future, but don't sleep on him now. He's a real talent."

NH: "Thanks Jimmy, you enjoy some rest and good luck the rest of the way. Guys, a quick word from you before we call it a night."

DL: "I think Jimmy is right, and we'll see lots more of Haseeb in this series. It's a bit early to say if he'll be a difference maker, but he certainly looks to have given England a boost at the top of the order. I'll be interested to see what he does tomorrow, it'll be another important session if England are going to keep this series alive."

RP: "I'm looking at Australia's bowlers and seeing who can really make a dent here. We know all the quicks can do it when needed, can Nathan Lyon come to the party? He's been quiet, but Australia would love some wickets from him to keep the 1st innings totals as close as possible."

NH: "Thanks to you both. Can England make some runs tomorrow to move ahead, or will Australia be able to fight back? Play starts at 11:00am, we'll see you there!"
Great as always

Users who are viewing this thread