• South Africa v West Indies

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

jazz

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
what was the best match of the 2003 world cup

1. Australia v England ( Group Stages)
2. Australia v New Zealand ( Super 6 Match)
3. South Africa v West Indies ( World cup Opener)

if any other please mention

i have gone for australia v england

australia needed 205 runs to win, at one stage they were 135/8 but won the match in the end

Last edited:

Cricket_god

Associate Cricketer
no doubt the best match of the 2003 world cup was india v/s pakistan.One of the great chases against the best bowling line up at that time

rahulk666

International Cricketer
Well lot of good matches in WC2003 but what a start to world cup with a cracker of a match between WI and SA. This was the best match in WC2003 for me. Klusener almost pulled it off!!

Just to add the best WC match ever was Australia vs. South Africa in 1999. Heck!! I believe it was the best ODI match ever although Javed's last ball six match was equally good.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
India vs Pakistan for me was the best match of the WC 2003. Cant beat that marathon innings from Tendiya who not only smashed Shoaib Akthar but also sealed that guy's mouth. That guy talked a lot before the match on how Tendulkar was not effective and how he could pose a threat to Tendulkar!

Australia vs New Zealand was a good one too with that tough win by the Aussies. What would have happened if Aussies had lost it? I doubt they would have gone to win the cup!

squiz

International Coach
What about the annihilation of India in the Final by the hands of Australia? That was quite entertaining :)

bharat

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
No,it was so painful watching that. :crying

best matches:

1.South Africa vs West Indies
2.India vs Pakistan

vibs89

School Cricketer
rahulk666 said:
Well lot of good matches in WC2003 but what a start to world cup with a cracker of a match between WI and SA. This was the best match in WC2003 for me. Klusener almost pulled it off!!

Just to add the best WC match ever was Australia vs. South Africa in 1999. Heck!! I believe it was the best ODI match ever although Javed's last ball six match was equally good.

Yap you're right that was my most favorable match ever I like also the most unbeliveable match still remember that match. I still like to wacth that match again and again. But sadly SA loss. I wanted SA to win. Though my second favorite team is SA and first is obviously India.

bharat

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
saisrini80 said:
Australia vs New Zealand was a good one too with that tough win by the Aussies. What would have happened if Aussies had lost it? I doubt they would have gone to win the cup!

India could have won the WC then
India just slottered NZ in the super 6.They could have done it again in the finals.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
squiz said:
What about the annihilation of India in the Final by the hands of Australia? That was quite entertaining :)

When the topic is about the best match, i feel it should be about matches that were tightly and keenly contested. India just gave up after Australia piled up 359. If we go by your criteria for the best matches, then I would say India vs England, India vs Sri Lanka and India vs Zimbabwe were also entertaining because India won them comfortably.

bharat said:
India could have won the WC then
India just slottered NZ in the super 6.They could have done it again in the finals.

I dont think so. I think New Zealand instead of Kenya would have entered the semifinal and would have faced India (or Australia) in the semis. I think either of India or Australia would have beaten New Zealand and still met in the final. I dont remember how the points system were for the WC2003.

MWaugh

International Coach
the 2003 final. any match in which australia pummles india that badly has to be good. the 1999 matches between sth africa and australia (in both the super 6 and the semi finals were the greatest though) - australias revival in that tournament was one of the greatest seen on a cricket field

Lucky

International Cricketer
I love to watch cricket games like that, but I would really like to see a WC final which is very close and tense, a game that puts you on the edge of your seat till the last ball, 1999 -Pakistan and 2003 -Indians both played like an inexperienced team...I hope 2007 is really good.....

Ashish_Nehra

Club Cricketer
squiz and MWaugh make me feel aussies have something strongly against India. Although Greg Chappel doesn't. Just wait till your top players retire.

The best match was 1.SriLanka vs Kenya and 2.Canada vs Bangladesh

The best non-minnow match was India vs Pakistan

Scorecard of Holland-Namibia match was great.

By the way, from Aussies point of view
The best match was Canada vs SriLanka and then Australia vs Namibia . Isn't it?

MWaugh

International Coach
Lucky said:
I love to watch cricket games like that, but I would really like to see a WC final which is very close and tense, a game that puts you on the edge of your seat till the last ball, 1999 -Pakistan and 2003 -Indians both played like an inexperienced team...I hope 2007 is really good.....

yeh lucky i couldnt agree with you more on the 1999 final. super sixes and the semi finals provided so much and lead to so much excitement and anticipation and in the end warne and gilchrist proved far to good for an overalled pakistan team. that was shocking that match.

but the 03 match i felt showed just how good australia were. ponting just took the match away.

and another great note for the 03 world cup was canada v west indies. davidsons hundred then laras reply. great stuff

jazz

Panel of Selectors
heres a fact australia were never bowled out by any team during the whole of the worldcup

Users who are viewing this thread