World Cup 2011 Groupings - 2003 WC format?

King Cricket

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hmm, Group B looks interesting. If the apparent "minnows" present in that group can beat even one big team, the contest will be real heated up. 2011 is still nearly two years to go, and by that time, hopefully, this WICB vs players issue will be solved. So yeah, we can expect a full strength West Indies side in the World Cup. Now, if that happens, the teams likely to proceed from Group B to the Super Eights will be India, England, South Africa, and West Indies. But what if the Bangla Brigade suddenly upsets South Africa like they did last time? Or Ireland bottles India? From what I make of it, you'll need to win atleast 4 matches to seal a Super 8 berth, and in case of defeat by a minnow, the defeated team will be mentally broken up and will probably falter like what happened to India in the 07 WC, paving the way for one/two minnows to qualify. What a contest it will be then! Very well thought out groups indeed.

King Cricket added 0 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Are your serious?

Still,

Afghans > Canadians

Last edited by a moderator:

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Hmm, Group B looks interesting. If the apparent "minnows" present in that group can beat even one big team, the contest will be real heated up. 2011 is still nearly two years to go, and by that time, hopefully, this WICB vs players issue will be solved. So yeah, we can expect a full strength West Indies side in the World Cup. Now, if that happens, the teams likely to proceed from Group B to the Super Eights will be India, England, South Africa, and West Indies. But what if the Bangla Brigade suddenly upsets South Africa like they did last time? Or Ireland bottles India? From what I make of it, you'll need to win atleast 4 matches to seal a semi berth, and in case of defeat by a minnow, the defeated team will be mentally broken up and will probably falter like what happened to India in the 07 WC, paving the way for one/two minnows to qualify. What a contest it will be then! Very well thought out groups indeed.

King Cricket added 0 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Still,

Afghans > Canadians

The presence of Bangladesh and Ireland in Group B makes it more slippery for the top teams in Group B because these two are more likely to cause upsets on their day. So I think Group B might be more tougher than Group A.

King Cricket

International Coach
The presence of Bangladesh and Ireland in Group B makes it more slippery for the top teams in Group B because these two are more likely to cause upsets on their day. So I think Group B might be more tougher than Group A.

You shouldn't be writing off Zimbabwe and Kenya as well. Zimbabwe is a crap side, I agree, but what if they suddenly beat a big team? Ireland too was considered to be a pretty sh!t side till they thrashed the Pakistanis. And the Kenyans were the semi-finalists of the '03 WC. True, they aren't that same team anymore, but who knows?

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Are your serious?

and your point is? that was a good innings. but i was talking about the Canadian public. they dont even know they have a cricket team.

and that guy isnt even Canadian

drainpipe32

Chairman of Selectors
I like the Super 6's format, it ensures that each of the top 6 teams in the cup play each other once, so we can truly see who is the best team in the world. Well, at least in the tournament :)

Bluebagger

International Coach
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm glad they went back to the better format as the 2007 World Cup had a terrible format and went for so long it feels like it is still being played.

UGH i was gona open it!

Bermuda and Scotland missing out this time...

what ever happened to Holland and Namibia

Haha, this reminds me of a scene from Seinfeld,

YouTube - Seinfeld 901 Intro

Unbelievable, all 7 teams in Group B are minnows (somewhat).

South Africa will choke in quater-finals, India will be hyped up again and will miseribly fail, England are going to become bad again in ODI cricket, West Indies will have another contractual dispute, and Bangladesh are still a weaker side.

Then of course there's Ireland who beat Pakistan and the Netherlands who beat England (even if it was in a T20..)

Group A we all know whose going through already..

Hahaha great post, exactly what I thought. England, Ireland, Netherlands, Bangladesh and West Indies - what an extraordinarily weak group. I wouldn't mind betting that the semi finalists come from Group A, however, such a prediction 18 months out would be absurd of me to make so I won't make it.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Haha, this reminds me of a scene from Seinfeld,

YouTube - Seinfeld 901 Intro

LOL i remember that! any american or american born or grew up-er (? upers), have very little knowledge about the world map. half the kids here cant even find earth on map of earth

but you have to agree, it is veryy confusing, Holland Netherlands Dutch! why do they need so many

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer
The difference between both groups is amazingly vast. I'm glad that we got an easy group, but Group B has four very good sides.

aditya123

National Board President
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
I think I read somewhere that the 2011 WC won`t have a super six stage at all. The top four from both groups qualify for the quarter-finals. So, we`ll directly move into the knock out stages once the league stage is done and dusted. Hence, in some sense it is pretty much like the FIFA WC format. If there are no major upsets, we should have the top 8 in the Q/Fs.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I think I read somewhere that the 2011 WC won`t have a super six stage at all. The top four from both groups qualify for the quarter-finals. So, we`ll directly move into the knock out stages once the league stage is done and dusted. Hence, in some sense it is pretty much like the FIFA WC format. If there are no major upsets, we should have the top 8 in the Q/Fs.

That will be exciting enough. By the time the top 8 teams come to the quarterfinals, they will be well ready to push the accelerator and shouldnt be caught napping (unless they decide to impose it on themselves). If they are knocked out from thereon, they deserve it. This will be a really good format.

Users who are viewing this thread