World Cup 2011 Groupings - 2003 WC format?

Unbelievable, all 7 teams in Group B are minnows (somewhat).

South Africa will choke in quater-finals, India will be hyped up again and will miseribly fail, England are going to become bad again in ODI cricket, West Indies will have another contractual dispute, and Bangladesh are still a weaker side.

Then of course there's Ireland who beat Pakistan and the Netherlands who beat England (even if it was in a T20..)

Group A we all know whose going through already..

Minnows? on what basis? We know you hate India but this is a little too much. Pakistan didnt qualify for the Super Eights of the 2007 WC too (just like India). They might be in good form now, but that doesnt make them greater.

This format seems fair enough, it will take more than one upset to eliminate the teams. The only downside is there will be less chance for the associate nations going through to the next stage.

This format seems fair enough, it will take more than one upset to eliminate the teams. The only downside is there will be less chance for the associate nations going through to the next stage.

Well, A World Cup is to decide the best teams (and teams that play well over a consistent period of time & games) and if the associate nations find it easier to progress to the next stage by beating a big team that deserves more than these associate guys to be there, then its a flaw in the format. The WC 2007 was dissed because one defeat was enough to send India and Pakistan packing out which is not fair on them.

Not one game, if India had won vs SL then they would have made it. B/c of the run rate. they had a good run rate after Bermuda bashing.

teams that play well over a consistent period of time & games
its all about who plays well in WC, not over a consistent period time. which ever team does well gets to go through, fair as that. this is the only chance they gets to face the big teams.

if the big teams deserves to be in 2nd round more then the associate teams, then they shouldnt lose to associate in the 1st place.

I'm glad we're not there, we're[scotland] a joke at cricket these days

not that we've ever been good but we're getting even worse, our one talented bowler, macleod of warwickshire, was done for throwing and I'm sceptical we'll ever see him playing FC cricket again. Coetzer is also on the fringes of durham after being tipped to be their bright young thing in the batting department. like I said, we were never good but guys like douggie brown and gavin hamilton were at least pretty decent county players. Though I don't know why McCallum can't find a county willing to take him on, he's alright.

Last edited:
Not one game, if India had won vs SL then they would have made it. B/c of the run rate. they had a good run rate after Bermuda bashing.

its all about who plays well in WC, not over a consistent period time. which ever team does well gets to go through, fair as that. this is the only chance they gets to face the big teams.

if the big teams deserves to be in 2nd round more then the associate teams, then they shouldnt lose to associate in the 1st place.

Lol, you're just saying that because Bangladesh has close to no chance at all otherwise.

That's probably a good thing tbh.

Minnows? on what basis? We know you hate India but this is a little too much. Pakistan didnt qualify for the Super Eights of the 2007 WC too (just like India). They might be in good form now, but that doesnt make them greater.
Pakistan have won 69 matches v India, while India have won 45 matches v India. That somewhat makes Pakistan greater :p

Read the 2nd part of my post, where I explain everything about each team.

And it's not meant to be taken seriously Sai.. ;)

Pakistan have failed to make the second round in the last two World Cups, I wouldn't be talking if I was in your position. ;)

March 1st, 2003 - I remember that day so very clearly, when Sachin Tendulkar knocked you guys out with that blitz of a 98. Good times.

Oh, and we've never lost a World Cup game to Pakistan. I guess we win when it matters.

Not in a format that is still unpredictable and one where on your day, you could upset any team. Suppose for example Australia are exceptional for the past 2 years and are No. 1 by a long long distance and suddenly they come to the World Cup and lose a match to Ireland and that plays a big part in their knockout. Thats not fair on Australia because that day didnt go against them and it played a huge part in them not winning that cup which they deserved to fight for more.

The more the games, the better it is for all teams to live and fight another day. And thats the best and a fair option for all.

saisrini80 added 3 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

Pakistan have won 69 matches v India, while India have won 45 matches v India. That somewhat makes Pakistan greater :p

Read the 2nd part of my post, where I explain everything about each team.

And it's not meant to be taken seriously Sai.. ;)

India vs India? Thats interesting. Didnt follow any of those games.:p:laugh

Pakistan has never beaten India in a World Cup (Champions Trophy they have, but not in a WC). And India's recent record against Pakistan in ODI's has been very good. Most of Pakistan's superior record against India comes from the 90's period when Pakistan had a major hold on India.

Well not all are as intelligent and as genius as you're.:laugh If its meant for fun, give us a hint.

Last edited:
Not in a format that is still unpredictable and one where on your day, you could upset any team. Suppose for example Australia are exceptional for the past 2 years and are No. 1 by a long long distance and suddenly they come to the World Cup and lose a match to Ireland and that plays a big part in their knockout. Thats not fair on Australia because that day didnt go against them and it played a huge part in them not winning that cup which they deserved to fight for more.

The more the games, the better it is for all teams to live and fight another day. And thats the best and a fair option for all.

saisrini80 added 3 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

India vs India? Thats interesting. Didnt follow any of those games.:p:laugh

Pakistan has never beaten India in a World Cup (Champions Trophy they have, but not in a WC). And India's recent record against Pakistan in ODI's has been very good. Most of Pakistan's superior record against India comes from the 90's period when Pakistan had a major hold on India.

Well not all are as intelligent and as genius as you're.:laugh If its meant for fun, give us a hint.
Yeah, I was typing too fast :p

I can't believe you take a post where I say all 7 teams in a group are minnows seriously, which include India, South Africa, England, and the West Indies. :laugh

Anyway, this makes the first round quite boring in that we all know which teams are going to go through in Group A, while in Group B, if Bangladesh can get 1-2 wins (other than Netherlands and Ireland), then well, things would be quite interesting.

Lol, you're just saying that because Bangladesh has close to no chance at all otherwise.

they have chance this time considering they are in this group. last time they HAD to...HAD to beat 1 of the big guns at least, to go through. dont be so arrogant, didnt you see what happened last time?? :)

but i will be honest i like this a lot better. i just didnt agree with the comment on last format

England, WI, RSA and India.

In that order.

Well, A World Cup is to decide the best teams (and teams that play well over a consistent period of time & games) and if the associate nations find it easier to progress to the next stage by beating a big team that deserves more than these associate guys to be there, then its a flaw in the format. The WC 2007 was dissed because one defeat was enough to send India and Pakistan packing out which is not fair on them.

Yes I like a group stage where you can afford a loss. It's a WORLD CUP. Only happens every 4 years, and it's supposed to be crickets BIG event. So a longer tournament with a better chance for the good teams makes sense.

Reports here in Australia was that we'd had a good draw. I'm not so sure. Group A with Pakistan, New Zealand and Sri Lanka looks OK but if it's only the top 3 to go through it may actually be harder than Group B because I think the 4th best team in Group A is better than the 4th in Group B. 4th best team being the team you need to BEAT to get through. Group B to me will be India, South Africa and whoever sucks less out of England/West Indies going through. They have better minnows in Bangladesh and Ireland I suppose but India and South Africa should be cheering at the draw. Group A will be tougher I think.

Yeah, I was typing too fast :p

I can't believe you take a post where I say all 7 teams in a group are minnows seriously, which include India, South Africa, England, and the West Indies. :laugh

Anyway, this makes the first round quite boring in that we all know which teams are going to go through in Group A, while in Group B, if Bangladesh can get 1-2 wins (other than Netherlands and Ireland), then well, things would be quite interesting.

Maybe true, but the business end of the tournament could possibly be electrifying with all the best teams facing each other. And also with the minnow teams making up only a few numbers, we could have only a few games that could not be that boring. The excitement in a game does not always come from the unpredictability, but from the quality of the cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread