World Cup 2011 Groupings - 2003 WC format?

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Groups for the 2011 World Cup

Group A - Australia, Pakistan, New Zealand, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Canada, Kenya.

Group B - India, South Africa, England, West Indies, Bangladesh, Ireland, Netherlands.

India, Pakistan in different groups for World Cup | Cricket News | ICC World Cup 2011 | Cricinfo.com

This represents a go-back to the 2003 World Cup format where we had two groups of seven teams where 4 teams from each group went to the Super Eights. I think this will be a wonderful format because the chances of a top side getting eliminated because of one surprise defeat to a far lower ranked side is minimal. India has been grouped with South Africa, England and the West Indies this time in a group that looks far less threatening than the one in Group A. Should be really exciting.

TheGreemSim

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Wasn't it super 6's in 03?

I hope it is super 8's here, at least then New Zealand won't be out in the group stages.

My predictions

Group A: 1 Australia, 2 Sri Lanka, 3 Pakistan 4 New Zealand 5 Kenya 6 Zimbabwe 7 Canada
Group B: 1 India 2 South Africa 3 England 4 Ireland 5 Bangledesh 6 West Indies 7 Netherlands

I think unless West Indies sort their stuff out before 2011 Ireland and Bangladesh will beat them and I think Ireland will cause an upset against Bangledesh and maybe even England.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
UGH i was gona open it!

Bermuda and Scotland missing out this time...

what ever happened to Holland and Namibia

I hope it is super 8's here, at least then New Zealand won't be out in the
ya same here. or else

saisrini80 said:
I think this will be a wonderful format because the chances of a top side getting eliminated because of one surprise defeat to a far lower ranked side is minimal.

wont be minimal

Kev

Chairman of Selectors
Group A: 1 Australia, 2 Sri Lanka, 3 Pakistan 4 New Zealand 5 Kenya 6 Zimbabwe 7 Canada
Group B: 1 India 2 South Africa 3 England 4 Ireland 5 Bangledesh 6 West Indies 7 Netherlands

I think unless West Indies sort their stuff out before 2011 Ireland and Bangladesh will beat them and I think Ireland will cause an upset against Bangledesh and maybe even England.

UGH i was gona open it!

:spy :banana2

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
:laugh

i was thinking they both wear orange..but

TheGreemSim

International Cricketer
UGH i was gona open it!

Bermuda lost their one day international status after coming last in the world cup qualifiers and Scotland missed out after losing to Afghanistan despite Afganistan not getting through as well.

Namibia, well Namibia are miles behind the other associate teams.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
Canadians dont even know they play cricket. i would rather have Afghan in that place

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
Wasn't it super 6's in 03?

I hope it is super 8's here, at least then New Zealand won't be out in the group stages.

My predictions

WI full squad will be #2 or #3 in that group.

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
even with a full squad number 2 is rather optimistic

Chris Gayle in the subcontinent is not a good site for the bowlers. Sarwan is one of the better ODI batsman around. I'm not sure if Shiv will be there by the time 2011 comes around. Bravo is there, Edwards and Taylor. They can get that #2 spot.

Leggie

Chairman of Selectors
I'm expecting us to finish about 3rd in our group. I'm never being optimistic again.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
I think the West Indies situation would be sorted out by 2011 and the full strength WI squad would play in the World Cup. Already we are getting close to a solution and we still have almost 2 yrs for this WC to come.

My prediction:

Group A : 1 Australia 2 Sri Lanka 3 Pakistan 4 New Zealand
Group B : 1 South Africa 2 West Indies 3 India 4 Bangladesh/England

saisrini80 added 0 Minutes and 33 Seconds later...

I'm expecting us to finish about 3rd in our group. I'm never being optimistic again.

He he he.... I just posted the same before I saw this post! me too not being so optimistic again.

saisrini80 added 1 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

even with a full squad number 2 is rather optimistic

Will a full strength side, thats completely possible for the WI to finish second.

On India, I wish to see Piyush Chawla being given more chances before the WC so that he can be a tool for us in this WC. He is a more than decent bat, and he is a very promising leggie. Added to that, he is a very good fielder. Zaheer needs to be given enough rest and recovery period so that he is fully fit for this tournament. We cant afford to not have Zaheer for this big one.

Last edited:

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Unbelievable, all 7 teams in Group B are minnows (somewhat).

South Africa will choke in quater-finals, India will be hyped up again and will miseribly fail, England are going to become bad again in ODI cricket, West Indies will have another contractual dispute, and Bangladesh are still a weaker side.

Then of course there's Ireland who beat Pakistan and the Netherlands who beat England (even if it was in a T20..)

Group A we all know whose going through already..

madmusician

Club Cricketer
My preferred format would be:

Group stages: 4 groups of 4 teams (arranged by ICC ODI rankings, e.g.:
  • Group A: Teams ranked 1 and 8, along with "minnows" qualifying 1 and 8
  • Group B: Teams ranked 2 and 7, along with "minnows" qualifying 2 and 7
  • Group C: Teams ranked 3 and 6, along with "minnows" qualifying 3 and 6
  • Group D: Teams ranked 4 and 5, along with "minnows" qualifying 4 and 5

Prior to this stage there would have been a qualification session for Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Ireland etc. to see who would have got through and their ranking.

Top 2 would go through from each group, then a straight knock-out: quarter finals, semi finals and a final.

That would all work out as 31 games, which to me is just right for a tournament. Not too long, and with hopefully many good games, with chances of upsets too.

Any thoughts on this?

TheGreemSim

International Cricketer
My preferred format would be:

Group stages: 4 groups of 4 teams (arranged by ICC ODI rankings, e.g.:
  • Group A: Teams ranked 1 and 8, along with "minnows" qualifying 1 and 8
  • Group B: Teams ranked 2 and 7, along with "minnows" qualifying 2 and 7
  • Group C: Teams ranked 3 and 6, along with "minnows" qualifying 3 and 6
  • Group D: Teams ranked 4 and 5, along with "minnows" qualifying 4 and 5

Prior to this stage there would have been a qualification session for Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Ireland etc. to see who would have got through and their ranking.

Atleast with your system i'd get to see my two favourite international teams play (New Zealand and Afghanistan)
Top 2 would go through from each group, then a straight knock-out: quarter finals, semi finals and a final.

That would all work out as 31 games, which to me is just right for a tournament. Not too long, and with hopefully many good games, with chances of upsets too.

Any thoughts on this?

The only fault thwere is everybody qualifies. No need for a qualification round then. Atleast though with your system I'd get to see my two favourite international sides go up against each other (New Zealand and Afghanistan)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread