Bollinger and Marsh receive contracts

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
David Hussey, Doug Bollinger, Shaun Marsh and Beau Casson have earned their first Cricket Australia contracts but Chris Rogers was the major omission in the 25-man squad for 2008-09. Rogers, who made his Test debut in January, was axed just days after he announced he was leaving Western Australia in an effort to improve his chances of further international action.

The South Australia spin duo of Dan Cullen and Cullen Bailey were also removed from last year's list, which was also missing the newly retired Adam Gilchrist, Brad Hogg and Jason Gillespie. As expected, two of the stars of the domestic season, Simon Katich and Ashley Noffke, were both returned to the squad after missing out last year.

Contracted players Doug Bollinger (NSW), Nathan Bracken (NSW), Beau Casson (NSW), Stuart Clark (NSW), Michael Clarke (NSW), Brad Haddin (NSW), Matthew Hayden (Qld), Ben Hilfenhaus (Tas), Brad Hodge (Vic), James Hopes (Qld), David Hussey (Vic), Michael Hussey (WA), Phil Jaques (NSW), Mitchell Johnson (Qld), Simon Katich (NSW), Brett Lee (NSW), Stuart MacGill (NSW), Shaun Marsh (WA), Ashley Noffke (Qld), Ricky Ponting (Tas), Andrew Symonds (Qld), Shaun Tait (SA), Adam Voges (WA), Shane Watson (Qld), Cameron White (Vic).

Full article here

Hooper

ICC Board Member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
How Marsh got a contract and Pomersbach didn't is disgusting, looks like a name gets you a game for Australia.

karnog

International Cricketer
Marsh's twenty20 innings in the finals prolly helped and plus pomersbach hasn't exactly fired in the one day format. Also, Marsh is being groomed as an openner and he's young (24ish i think). Personally i don't see how Rogers got the axe other than being 30 and leaving WA.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Was looking at the stats Marsh and Pomersbach pretty even in FC runs and average but Marsh has the better OD form. So fair enough call although would have liked Pomersbach within the contracted players.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Rogers isn't going to steal either openers spots inside this year so I guess the decision was made to promote youth.

As much as I like Pomersbach, Shaun Marsh was the Warriors' best batsman this year, plus openers have become a rare commodity all of a sudden.

Also, holy lol, Bollinger has hair. I wonder if he's maybe had a bit of the Warnie treatment on his hairline.

Last edited:

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Marsh's twenty20 innings in the finals prolly helped and plus pomersbach hasn't exactly fired in the one day format. Also, Marsh is being groomed as an openner and he's young (24ish i think). Personally i don't see how Rogers got the axe other than being 30 and leaving WA.
It's because he's possibly going to Victoria ;)

Rogers is unlucky, would have to be next in line, but for now I suppose they don't see him playing too much.

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
I watched Bollinger bowl for Worcstershire last season and he was terrible at times! I suppose thats the effect Worcstershire has on players.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Whatever he did in England he came out a changed man. First ripping apart Pak A then having best bowling average last summer and would have topped the wicket count if he wasn't injured. I suspect even picked over Hilfy in the Test squad to WI if he wasn't injured.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Interested to see Hodge is still in CA's plans, I didn't think he'd get a contract to be honest.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Read in another article that Cam White admits his bowling needs to improve for him to break into the side. I'm just hoping he hasn't tried to improve it before because if he did it didn't absolutely nothing.

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Read in another article that Cam White admits his bowling needs to improve for him to break into the side. I'm just hoping he hasn't tried to improve it before because if he did it didn't absolutely nothing.
Well I think there's a good chance he has tried before because it couldn't have taken him this long to realise it's crap.

Whitey has the ability to hold down a batting AR role, his batting is versatile and exciting. As long as we pick him as a batsman who can also bowl and not an all-rounder who must do both well, he should do alright.

Only problem is he didn't have a great season with injury.

leftarmlegspin

Club Cricketer
He was very good for Somerset last year though. I was impressed with him, and in terms of the County game his bowling had certainly improved in my opinion. Just not enough to gain a Test place.

Users who are viewing this thread