Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia) Dec-Jan 2011/12

Some Baggy Green statistics ahead of the WACA clash

Article by baggy_blogger -

The 3rd Test against India starts on 13 January (Friday).
Click here for the remaining fixtures.

Here’s some statistics for you for prior to the upcoming fixture against India.

The most recent game against India went in their favor and this will give them some confidence, while also not neglecting the fact that this track could very well provide a better hunting ground for them.
They have a daunting batting line up that could easily throw in a collective performance and put us on the back foot but the general feeling out there is that the team is low on confidence after two crushing defeats and will quite likely to struggle in pulling this series back.

Australia Versus India – 1977 to 2008
Played: 3
Won: 2
Lost: 1 (2008 Test Match scorecard)

The 2008 Test at the WACA (Western Australian Cricket Association) was quite a tense one after all the drama and controversy early on in the series.
The fighting partnership between Mitchell Johnson and Stuart Clark remains as my main memory from this match. So as you can see it isn’t one that I have chosen to remember too fondly.

Let’s have a look at some of the player statistics.
I have taken players who have played more than one game at the WACA, with the exception of Ryan Harris due to his one mighty dominant performance which came in our one victory in 2010/11 Ashes series where he took a 6 wicket haul in one innings.
If you needed reason to feel at ease with his selection due to James Pattinson being out injured, this should help!

1) Ricky Ponting:
15 matches – 946 runs – HS 197 – 43.00 average – x1 100

v India – Year 2008 – 1 match – 65 runs – HS 45 – 32.50 average

A decent record at the WACA for Punter but over a 15 match span you’d feel that a batsman of Punter’s pure class would want to build upon that lonesome yet impressive century of 197.
Given his excellent form this series I am confident he can deliver a performance to help the team win this match to reclaim the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.
His average for the ground is certainly a decent one of 43.00 and although Punter is not one for statistics it is an interesting look nevertheless.
Like Michael Hussey, he didn’t have a memorable game against India in 2008 where we lost the Test.

2) Michael Hussey (Home ground Western Australian Cricket Association)
6 matches – 588 runs – 116 runs – 53.45 average ? x2 100s (both versus England)

v India – Year 2008 – 1 match – 46 runs – HS 46 – 23.00 average

For his home ground there’s no doubt the WA locals will want to see something special from Huss this time around against India.
His statistics for the ground are impressive and those two centuries against England spring to mind, making me eager to see how Huss goes this match with some well gained confidence strong within his mind.

3) Michael Clarke:
6 matches – 451 runs – HS 135* – 41.00 average – x1 100

v India – Year 2008 – 1 match – 104 runs – HS 81 – 52.00 average

Like Ricky Ponting, Clarkey has a century at the WACA and has a good overall statistic to show for.
He was one of the few batsmen to stand and deliver against India in 2008 and after his wonderful triple century at the SCG he’ll not be short on confidence but obviously it needs to be put in the back of his mind for a new Test, a new challenge and a Test that is so important for his team.
A win or a draw here ensures the Baggy Greens regain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy, a huge achievement for Clarkey as the Skipper.

4) Brad Haddin:
3 matches – 311 runs – HS 94 – 51.83 average

Hads is on the boil now having struggled with the bat for the last year often throwing his wicket away with careless shots. This has made his wicket a gift to the opposition but most worryingly was that drop catch during the 2nd last over of day 3 for the 2nd Test.
It has opened up a new can of criticism against Hads who does look so low on confidence. I actually feel quite a bit for him to be honest. I am a vocal supporter of each and every player in our team but there’s little doubt now that he’s under pressure to make the Windies tour later in the year.
You can’t shy away from certain things and if you look at how many players have been dropped at some stage to go regain their form in this current team, unfortunately for Hads given his age and the emerging Keepers, if he were to be dropped it would be the end of his Test career.

One thing in his favour is that the WACA brings him good fortune where he has batted with plenty of confidence. At this point in time though he is under immense pressure in all facets of his game.

5) Peter Siddle:
2 matches – 55.5 overs – 2 wickets for 161 runs – BBI 1/25 – BBM 1/33 – 80.50 average

No need to really get into this. Pedro will want to improve on these stats.
On the flatter WACA track he has struggled in both his matches there against South African and England.
This is his time to turn things around as a senior bowler now and a bloke who is in the form of his life.
Come on Pedro!

6) Ryan Harris:
1 match – 26.0 overs – 9 wicket for 106 – BBI 6/47 – BBM 9/106 – 11.77 average
This statistic tell a short story for Ryano who is easily our best bowler on his day.
With James Pattinson out injured, Ryano has been given the recall and whilst remembering and looking at his one performance at the WACA against England in 2010 he’s definitely not going to be low on confidence for his selection.
If you needed reason to be positive with his selection, this is it! The loss of James is massive but we’re in a good place of Australian cricket where we can call on a bloke who has a good skill set and can build pressure from his end, something our current trio has done so well.

Best wishes as always to the Baggy Greens ahead of the WACA clash!

This article is from The Baggy Green Blog!
Thanks for reading this article written by Ian.
To comment on this article, click here.

More...

Clarke has an Arabic Tatoo on his arm...Wonder what it says...
140938.jpg

India pundits/former players seem to have adopted the England Selectors mindset, in that no matter how bad the batting gets, the answer is always to replace a bowler.

I mean fair enough, Clarke scored 1000 or whatever it was, but the batting's been poor from the word go, with one decent innings in four.

This comments from India's former chief selector is the hard-core truth of India's woes.

India in Australia 2011-12: 'I would still drop VVS and get Rohit' for the Perth Test | The Short Stuff | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

quote said:
The bitter truth is that we don't have new champion players who can take up the mantle. We might have left the best behind. We've been spoilt by success in the past 10-12 years. The big batting guns have long covered up other shortcomings but they are nearing the end. The increased dependence on Tendulkar after more than two decades is a sign of poverty.

Dilip Vengsarkar, former India captain and former chairman of selectors.

If the 76-91 was the greatest two decades of windies producing quality pacers, that they have since struggled to produce since. Then the Tendy era of 1989 to now where in the likes of Dravid/Laxman/Ganguly/Azharruddin backed him up - has given India's its greatest era of batsmen in its history.

However the few times this quintet has missed test matches in the last 20 years, alot of their replacements such as ajay sharman, praveen amre, vijay bhardwaj, h kanitkar, shiv sundar das, ganesh, yuvraj, raina, ajay jadeja, badani, kaif, kohli (to date), jaffer - struggled in the chances they got.

The fact that these old legends are being held on for so long, is very much a sign of poverty and i wont be surprised when the current trio retires - india's batting might takes a massive nose dive.

This comments from India's former chief selector is the hard-core truth of India's woes.

India in Australia 2011-12: 'I would still drop VVS and get Rohit' for the Perth Test | The Short Stuff | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

If the 76-91 was the greatest two decades of windies producing quality pacers, that they have since struggled to produce since. Then the Tendy era of 1989 to now where in the likes of Dravid/Laxman/Ganguly/Azharruddin backed him up - has given India's its greatest era of batsmen in its history.

However the few times this quintet has missed test matches in the last 20 years, alot of their replacements such as ajay sharman, praveen amre, vijay bhardwaj, h kanitkar, shiv sundar das, ganesh, yuvraj, raina, ajay jadeja, badani, kaif, kohli (to date), jaffer - struggled in the chances they got.

The fact that these old legends are being held on for so long, is very much a sign of poverty and i wont be surprised when the current trio retires - india's batting might takes a massive nose dive.

Well there not exactly firing right now with the big guys playing

it's certainly possible, there was a stretch of time when any new west indian bowler was completely over-hyped because the logic went, he's west indian, he bowls fast, he must be a legend in the making.

india do have a production line of young batsmen right now, some that have been very succesful in limited overs but there is a possibility that they are being over tipped for succes purely because they're talented indian batsmen and india threw out a load of talented batsmen in the last 15 years.

however, does any team really have any young "champions" in the making? australia have been dependent on batsmen playing ten years this series and have been recycling the younger players quite quickly. the south africans still depend on kallis, they've never filled that opener and no.6 gap, they collapse far too often and I think they're proving a little over-rated. sri lanka are dependent on guys well over 30. even englands batting, for all it's might still looks solid and professional more than blessed with talent. there are a few bright sparks, darren bravo is the obvious one but a lot of teams seem to be struggling to find new batsmen.

Last edited:
India need to let VVS go first. He's looked horribly exposed in England and Australia (with the exception of his wonderful, majestic, match altering 70 in the last innings).

With Sachin and Dravid still in the team, it's an ideal time for some young batsmen to try and make the step up.

A completely random point as well, but am I the only person who thinks Dhoni looks much happier captaining when he has the youthful exhuberance of their more experimental ODI team than when he's got to hide a bunch of old men in the cordon all game whilst trying to figure out where to put the bowlers, none of whom can field :p

India pundits/former players seem to have adopted the England Selectors mindset, in that no matter how bad the batting gets, the answer is always to replace a bowler.

That was our selection policy, most of the time you would find a bowler being sacked for the batsmen collapsing.

cricinfo said:
Marsh struck down by gastro illness
But batsman expected to play Perth Test

I was halfway through penning Khawaja in until the second line. Could have been room for both if Ponting or Hussey hadn't performed, but what can you do?

Users who are viewing this thread