Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia) Dec-Jan 2011/12

I thought you were joking at first, but since you've brought this up a few times now... you do know that most Australian captains have batted at five or lower, right? Including Allan Border and Steve Waugh?

i know that, but i just think the captain should take more responsibility.

It's great when you have a captain with the skills to open or bat at three, because they're definitely the most important positions in the order. But if you've got a guy who averages 60 at five and 20 at three, "taking responsibility" means batting at five, IMO.

It's great when you have a captain with the skills to open or bat at three, because they're definitely the most important positions in the order. But if you've got a guy who averages 60 at five and 20 at three, "taking responsibility" means batting at five, IMO.

fair enough, im just on a Marsh isnt that bad rampage haha.

The Captain's job should be to be a leader of the batting team but the WHOLE team. It would be like saying a bowling captain should and must open the bowling.

Well he's had a better BBL than White.. but that's not saying much. I don't think anyone gave him even an honourable mention for our WC teams, so it's a bit of a surprise, but hey look on the bright side.

It's a tough selection call. The selectors obviously don't want White to play, yet there is no obvious captain to 'annoint'. If they appointed a temporary captain eg. Mike Hussey or Dave Warner, then it would be seen as though they were waiting for White to regain form and come back (or at least Watson to be fit). But dragging Bailey in to captain? That's the riskier route, because he's really got to be captain for a while now doesn't he? He's going OK, but I don't think he makes an Aussie T20 XI if you take his captaincy out of it - that's a very English selection, not the Australian way.

Team is announced today apparently: I can't decide what I want :p Part of me hopes it's not too left field eg. full of guys who've played 1 or 2 good games in the Big Bash and ignoring most of the Test/ODI players. The other part of me says that it's only a couple of meaningless T20s - why not look at some other players?

I'm no White fan but at least picking him they have some leg to stand on. i.e. He was okay in his last 3 knocks in T20I, he is the current captain so they want to keep faith in him. But there is no reason for Bailey, apart from what you mentioned. The report suggests it's his leadership ability, I don't see how he can be much better than White who was once touted as future Australian Test captain.

Has anyone else been reading this stuff from Gambhir? If every pitch was trampolines vs green mambas vs raging turners, then maybe he'd have a point about countries doctoring pitches for home conditions. But all I've seen in this series is ordinary bounce, minimal seam, and bowlers who've finally learned to swing the ball. The series could have been played on almost any wicket outside the subcontinent and the result would've been the same. All that we'd need is enough bounce for the slips to take catches (and an Indian team that plays loose shoots all day long).

Frankly, I'm disappointed. I used to rate Gambhir, but it looks like he's happy in his flat track niche rather than being hungry for greatness. Lame.

Nothing wrong in what Gambhir said, though I would prefer that he sulks because of these failures and in turn builds up hunger within himself to succeed in conditions that are challenging to him instead of finding solace in the fact that Australia/England/SA would also find it tough to succeed in subcontinental conditions. What he, Ishant Sharma, Virat Kohli display are passive personalities where if they lose, they wait for the opposition to come to their den and then beat them. Thats not a sign of greatness. Players like Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, Kumble, etc have prided to doing well overseas than to wait for the opposition to come to India and get beaten.

India had no business to lose at MCG. The match got into the final day (i.e. the fourth day) with all three results possible. It was shocking batting that lost us that game. Sydney and Perth were hard, but India got the toughest of conditions (due to the toss) and were blown away.

Why would anyone say "Come to our country and we'll beat you" while they're getting smashed overseas? It's like they no longer care about oversea matches, which is probably true but unsportsman like.

The main problem for the Indians is the magnitude of their losses. If they go home and win 8 matches then fair enough, but usually there are 2 draws each series. I don't think they can host Australia or England, win 1-0 and finish with a big dance number. If they are truly motivated to prove this point, then they too will have to fight against those home conditions. I would think it's less than ideal.

Back to naming our 11 a day early aka no serious changes. Was never fussed about who was 12th man, at least this way we get to see how our new attack fares on a flat deck.

The main problem for the Indians is the magnitude of their losses. If they go home and win 8 matches then fair enough, but usually there are 2 draws each series. I don't think they can host Australia or England, win 1-0 and finish with a big dance number. If they are truly motivated to prove this point, then they too will have to fight against those home conditions. I would think it's less than ideal.

Thats because Indian pitches have gone from rank turners to slow turners that give batsmen more time to decipher the spin and play for longer periods. And also we have these roads which are uses as pitches where batsmen make merry.

I am highly concerned with the thinking of these younger Indian players. With such thinking, India are well and truly back to the dark 90's where we used to pee in our pants whenever we toured abroad. With Sachin, Dravid and Laxman going soon, the average Indian fan better forget about test cricket completely. Wont be surprised if India someday opts out of test cricket completely.

Bailey....really? he was batting 6 and never had a chance to bat. as much as i hate to say it Steve Smith would be a better captain. Bailey doesnt even make an Australia XX let alon XI. my XI

1. D. Warner
2. S. Marsh
3. S. Watson (c)
4. T. Birt
5. D. Hussey
6. M. Wade
7. M. Marsh
8. M. Starc
9. C. McKay
10. B. Hogg
11. X. Doherty
12. J. Faulkner
Doherty could captain, so could Warner and Hussey, but if you wanted to play Haddin who personally I think is better then Wade he could be captain.

Users who are viewing this thread