Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia) Dec-Jan 2011/12

Why not put Watson at 3? He seems to be a no.3 batsman and he looks like he fits the role.

Good technique and can be a rock like dravid since he seems to always reach 50 in the past.

We can't seriously put Ponting back at 3. Don't think he can handle that again.

Watson gets out far too often by LBW to remain in the top 3. 32% of the time he is out LBW, in comparison Ponting 19%, Dravid 14% and Hayden 15%. Number 4 seems the best balanced spot for him in particular with his bowling.

However that would mean Ponting has to shift back to the all important 3 slot. The problem isn't him in the spot, if he is deemed good enough to be in the team then he is good enough to bat 3 where he has for most of his career. The problem will come if he is moved along before the Ashes leaving us looking for a new number 3 again. With Hussey occupying the breeding spot we don't have a Ponting at 6 waiting to move to 3.

What India lacks the most, is the rotation policy. Whether the team is winning or loosing, a perfect set of replacement should always be there. This issue is taken up only when we are loosing. But sadly, no one cares when the winning streak is going. Whenever the team is announced for any upcoming tours, i tend to search for a new names but get dissapointed with the same old names. I am not saying drop a good performing player, but the talent's of others shouldn't go in vain.
This trick is going quite well for australia.

You simply don't trial new bats at number three. If the selectors really have ongoing faith in Ponting/Clarke/Hussey, they should have no trouble picking one of them for that slot.

And while I'm here I will just repeat my call to get rid of Marsh and Haddin.

And add in that Mitchell Starc is years away from being a Test bowler - personally I don't think he will ever be good enough.

i think all this criticism of Marsh is a little harsh. Throwing a rookie into the number 3 position is incredibly hard and he shouldn't be punished that Ponting and the captain don't have the balls to bat at 3, instead pouncing on the tired bowlers and old ball.

Also the 100 on debut was batting at number 6, not opening and facing the new ball. Also was at bloemfontein, the flattest of the main SA first class venues.

Ah yes..

----------

.And add in that Mitchell Starc is years away from being a Test bowler - personally I don't think he will ever be good enough.

Bold statement to make about him either away after just a few test.

Mitchell Starc is going to be a regular in the Aussie side.

Any left arm fast bowler with a good inswinger is a great cricketer. I know few bowlers who disprove this theory. Akram, Aamir, Zaheer etc.

Watson gets out far too often by LBW to remain in the top 3. 32% of the time he is out LBW, in comparison Ponting 19%, Dravid 14% and Hayden 15%. Number 4 seems the best balanced spot for him in particular with his bowling.

And yet he averages mid 40s opening the batting? I think he's doing better in those LBWs now anyway. When he first started going LBW the concern was that he was getting so far forward that he had to play around his front pad. But that's not how he's been getting out LBW of late. Yes, Steyn got him LBW in SA, but it shouldn't have been out. Having a look back through his LBWs, last one before that (vs pace) was Bresnan at SCG where he let the ball go, one before that was Tremlett at WACA where he was 95 so I'm willing to forgive, Finn got him LBW with a yorker on the toe in the 1st innings. The last one I'd be concerned about was vs Asif at Headingly in 2010.

I'm actually more concerned with Watson vs spin. Yes we know he can hoick Bangladeshi left armers over wide mid wicket if he wants to be aggressive, but what about coming in at the start of his innings vs spin? I think he looks far more confident vs pace, so that's not a guy you throw back down the order blindly. Going to #3 wouldn't be so bad, but going down to #5 for example could be a problem, coming in against a softer ball and a spinner in their stride.

However that would mean Ponting has to shift back to the all important 3 slot. The problem isn't him in the spot, if he is deemed good enough to be in the team then he is good enough to bat 3 where he has for most of his career. The problem will come if he is moved along before the Ashes leaving us looking for a new number 3 again. With Hussey occupying the breeding spot we don't have a Ponting at 6 waiting to move to 3.

I think it's a bit rich claiming that #3 is super hard, but #6 is easy runs. I don't see it that way at all. #6 is less responsibility I suppose, but I think if Marsh is seen as the long term #3, then he's going to need to take that responsibility at some point. The question is where Watson and Marsh would bat AFTER Ponting and Hussey retire? After you answer that, then just put Ponting and Hussey in the gaps.

If your top 6 in 2 years time is something like this:
Cowan
Warner
Khawaja
Watson
Clarke
Marsh

I see 5 guys there who could open and all 6 could play top 3. Arguably Ponting should be going down to #5 above Hussey, so that the selectors can see which of these young guys can handle batting in the top 3-4. And I also see too many lefties. If Wade is the #7, that's 5 left handers. Graeme Swann would enjoy that.

I think it's a bit rich claiming that #3 is super hard, but #6 is easy runs. I don't see it that way at all. #6 is less responsibility I suppose, but I think if Marsh is seen as the long term #3, then he's going to need to take that responsibility at some point. The question is where Watson and Marsh would bat AFTER Ponting and Hussey retire? After you answer that, then just put Ponting and Hussey in the gaps.

As I mentioned the ideal scenario has always been to let the new guy settle in at 6 before being moved up like Ponting was. No one is saying leave Marsh/Khawaja at 6, however it is definitely easier to serve your apprenticeship down the order before Ponting retires and then moving up with more experience at the top level.

Clarke looks certain to stay at 5 for the rest of his career so Ponting won't be moving to 5.

i think all this criticism of Marsh is a little harsh. Throwing a rookie into the number 3 position is incredibly hard and he shouldn't be punished that Ponting and the captain don't have the balls to bat at 3, instead pouncing on the tired bowlers and old ball.

To be fair, when marsh took over khwaja at 3 he was very very promising. The only times he got out for less than 30 was when he forgot to review a stupid decision and injury onwards.

To be fair, when marsh took over khwaja at 3 he was very very promising. The only times he got out for less than 30 was when he forgot to review a stupid decision and injury onwards.

still. the senior players should be in the key positions, I mean the Australian captain batting at 5? thats pretty shameful.

I mean the Australian captain batting at 5? thats pretty shameful.

I thought you were joking at first, but since you've brought this up a few times now... you do know that most Australian captains have batted at five or lower, right? Including Allan Border and Steve Waugh?

Users who are viewing this thread