Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia) Dec-Jan 2011/12

With Zaheer and Yadav to play in the CB ODI series, either of them should be rested for the Adelaide test match. Anyways, Adelaide is expected to be more of a batting track and so swapping one of them for a spinner and also picking the second spinner in place of the trash bowling of Vinay Kumar should be the changes India should make. So Ashwin and Ojha both come in for Vinay and Zaheer (Zaheer being the oldest and the more injury prone, he needs rest before the CB series). I think the rest of the team will remain the same. Even though Laxman is living on the edge, I think he will be given another opportunity to either resurrect his form or get the opportunity of playing a glorious final test match.

Sehwag
Gambhir
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohli
Laxman
Saha
Ashwin
Ishant
Ojha
Yadav

Expecting Saha to have a very good match. I pray that he does. We badly need a replacement for Dhoni because his test career is hanging on a very thin thread. I am confident Saha is a good test match replacement for Dhoni. Saha has the temperament for test cricket. Hope his keeping is good, and he can score a useful 50+ or even a 100.

I wouldn't rest Yadav just to save him for the ODIs. He needs experience on these pitches. Zaheer resting would be a much better idea.

India in Australia 2011-12: Brad Haddin 'drained' by Indian summer | Cricket News | Australia v India | ESPN Cricinfo

Straight from the horse's mouth. Seems it would be wise to rest him for the 4th test and it perplexes me even more as to why he was selected for the PM's XI.

Possibly because he was selected for that team before he did that interview?? :p But yes, I see your point. I think the selectors badly want to get him in form and that's why he's playing for the PM XI and the Sixers, despite what it might be doing to his energy levels. I'm guessing the theory is to get him in form, and then give him a rest mid-ODI series when he's feeling a bit more confident. May not work that way though...

Good article on Cricinfo about Sehwag. Last time at Adelaide, he started his second innings. Will he start a new chapter this time from Adelaide (he is also captaining here)?
India in Australia 2011-12: D?j? vu for Virender Sehwag in Adelaide | Cricket Features | Australia v India | ESPN Cricinfo

Completely agree with most of what is said there! Sehwag should use the next two years to transition himself into the middle order and let a good opener build at the top. Gambhir is technically good enough to stay there at the top. But finding another guy who can open successfully for India would be a good solution. Mukund is one option. Hope Murali Vijay can iron out his flaws and be one of the other options. Also someone like Tanmay Srivatsava needs to be tried.

Good article on Cricinfo about Sehwag. Last time at Adelaide, he started his second innings. Will he start a new chapter this time from Adelaide (he is also captaining here)?
India in Australia 2011-12: D?j? vu for Virender Sehwag in Adelaide | Cricket Features | Australia v India | ESPN Cricinfo

Completely agree with most of what is said there! Sehwag should use the next two years to transition himself into the middle order and let a good opener build at the top. Gambhir is technically good enough to stay there at the top. But finding another guy who can open successfully for India would be a good solution. Mukund is one option. Hope Murali Vijay can iron out his flaws and be one of the other options. Also someone like Tanmay Srivatsava needs to be tried.

Slight mistake from the author - but Sehwag didn't score runs in New zealand 2002/03 he averaged 10 in that two test series. Sehwag has always been a flat-track bully and his struggles overseas against "quality fast-bowlers" on helpul pitches has been going on long before 2008. People like to talk about his runs in australia 2003/04 - but tend to forget mcgrath and warne didn't play.... also they mention his debut series hundred in south africa 2001/02 - but as phil hughes has shown scoring a hundred on his debut doesn't mean much, because on sehwag next two tours to s africa in 2006/07 and 2010/11 he struggled. Scoring runs at adelaide - the flattest pitch in australia wont change the perception that he can't play the moving ball. But given how well aus have bowled in this series - even if that pitch is flat i expect them to have good enough plans to get him out.

I have my doubts aslo whether him moving into the middle-order in the future will make much of a difference, his flaws a too big for me and once the top 8 nations have good fast-bowler and wickets around the round are less flat - i reckon his woes will continue.

To me he needs to revamp his entire approach to batting line what Hayden did after the first four test of the 2005 ashes.

Cowan wants to force Watson down the order | Cricket News | Australia v India | ESPN Cricinfo

Can't see Watson dropping down the order regardless. Maybe if Watson returns and Marsh keeps failing then Cowan could make a decent no.3.
Meh, put Cowan 3. Marsh can go (even though Im west aussie, I can admit Marsh is poo).

On a side note, absolutely disgusting display from the Perth crowd on the 3rd n final day at the Test by the bogans in the stand I was sitting.

Saw a pissed bloke walk straight past an Indian fan and say 'Fluck you, India'.

Then the usual slurs started flowing once wickets started flowing.

Makes me pretty sick, no wonder why theres hate between us.

Meh, put Cowan 3. Marsh can go (even though Im west aussie, I can admit Marsh is poo).

On a side note, absolutely disgusting display from the Perth crowd on the 3rd n final day at the Test by the bogans in the stand I was sitting.

Saw a pissed bloke walk straight past an Indian fan and say 'Fluck you, India'.

Then the usual slurs started flowing once wickets started flowing.

Makes me pretty sick, no wonder why theres hate between us.

1. Watson has done well at no. 3 in ODIs
2. Marsh is definitely the best T20 player in the country, not sure about the other 2 formats.
3. That is a classic West Aussie moment. The people who live here are just disgusting, 90% of the people who go to the cricket are there to get drunk, tan and show off their body.

Slight mistake from the author - but Sehwag didn't score runs in New zealand 2002/03 he averaged 10 in that two test series. Sehwag has always been a flat-track bully and his struggles overseas against "quality fast-bowlers" on helpul pitches has been going on long before 2008. People like to talk about his runs in australia 2003/04 - but tend to forget mcgrath and warne didn't play.... also they mention his debut series hundred in south africa 2001/02 - but as phil hughes has shown scoring a hundred on his debut doesn't mean much, because on sehwag next two tours to s africa in 2006/07 and 2010/11 he struggled. Scoring runs at adelaide - the flattest pitch in australia wont change the perception that he can't play the moving ball. But given how well aus have bowled in this series - even if that pitch is flat i expect them to have good enough plans to get him out.

I have my doubts aslo whether him moving into the middle-order in the future will make much of a difference, his flaws a too big for me and once the top 8 nations have good fast-bowler and wickets around the round are less flat - i reckon his woes will continue.

To me he needs to revamp his entire approach to batting line what Hayden did after the first four test of the 2005 ashes.

Also the 100 on debut was batting at number 6, not opening and facing the new ball. Also was at bloemfontein, the flattest of the main SA first class venues.

1. Watson has done well at no. 3 in ODIs
2. Marsh is definitely the best T20 player in the country, not sure about the other 2 formats.
3. That is a classic West Aussie moment. The people who live here are just disgusting, 90% of the people who go to the cricket are there to get drunk, tan and show off their body.
Exactly, probably the same around the country. But I've noticed every time I've been to the cricket its been more about sinking as much piss, getting the most sunburnt and giving the most ???? to the other country.

Its just not cricket!! :cheers

Cowan wants to force Watson down the order | Cricket News | Australia v India | ESPN Cricinfo

Can't see Watson dropping down the order regardless. Maybe if Watson returns and Marsh keeps failing then Cowan could make a decent no.3.

Cowan could go alright at #3 I guess, as he'd automatically complement whichever of Warner and Watson threw their wicket away first :p Looking purely at techniques though, I think Warner would be the one I'd look at to go down the order. I just think Cowan and Watson are more likely to survive good bowling. And then Watson suits going down the order from a workload point of view. So it's obviously not going to be an easy choice, each has their pros and cons. Thinking of the Ashes though, I think Australia would want as many right handers in the middle order as possible to counter Swann's love of left handers, that's another reason to send Watson down lower.

I can't really see Warner batting anywhere else in the order. Cowan maybe at 3, but I'd like to see the selectors stick with Warner/Cowan again for the next series and just slot Watson in wherever. It will be a good battle between Cowan and Marsh in the 4th test, Marsh has a bit of ground to make up for me.

He could be decent at 5 if he starts encountering problems against the moving ball but I ain't going to be Nostradamus and move a player based on what ifs. If Cowan and Warner go well again then I see no reason to break up a combo that is working.

You simply don't trial new bats at number three. If the selectors really have ongoing faith in Ponting/Clarke/Hussey, they should have no trouble picking one of them for that slot.

And while I'm here I will just repeat my call to get rid of Marsh and Haddin.

And add in that Mitchell Starc is years away from being a Test bowler - personally I don't think he will ever be good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread