Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia) Dec-Jan 2011/12

I'm looking forward to see one thing now, when will Michael Clarke declare?
After both Pup and Punter score 300's or they both score 400's.

That really doesn't matter because Indians can be bowled out easily twice in a single day, without much of difficulty!

fried chicken me, this is a nightmare.

I don't give a fried chicken how good they are in home conditions. This is beyond atrocious.

The England tour was better than this. It really was.

Last edited:
Some useless numbers for the series so far:

Australia has scored 1936 runs for the loss of 37 wickets, average of 52
India has scored 1374 runs for the loss of 60 wickets, average of 23
Marsh has scored 17 runs for the loss of 5 wickets, average of 3.4
Ignoring that Starc and Pattinson weren't dismissed, only 3 individuals averaging more than 52, between them averaging 123 and scoring two thirds of Australia's runs for the loss of 10 wickets. The openers contribute a further 20% of the runs, but for the loss of another 10 wickets, they actually draw the average back. It's a wide spread and the average alone doesn't describe it well.

For India, well there are batsmen averaging more than 22, but obviously with more wickets, less runs and no great standout scorers, the figure is less deceptive. Fewer players averaging less than 15, though. All the main batsmen have had their chance to make a bigger score; they just haven't.

Yeah it's more accurate from a bowling standpoint rather than batting really.

Let's hope Clarke and Ponting aren't as complacent as everyone else, just about everyone confident of the two doubles now.

----------

Clarkey :clap

Funny how the flood gates just open up once you reach a certain milestone. Before this series Pup just couldn't get past 200, now he's done it 2 times out of 3.

if it wasnt for the huge achievements this series would have been very boring. a 300, Ponting's revival, Warner's quick fire 100 and the second double hundreds have made this series enjoyable somewhat.

Well, we can now safely conclude that the series between India and England wouldn't have panned out any differently even if every single player in the squad was fit and raring to go.

India have all the skill and ability needed to bat out a draw or set up a win from here. Declaration strategy should revolve around making them forget that. I think that uncertainty and domination are the two keys, psychologically: when you're getting hammered, every unpredictable move looks like genius and convinces you you're worse off than you really are.

So: tradition would be to declare an hour before stumps. I say we keep them stewing overnight, wondering if they'll be batting or bowling. Then we bat for another hour or so, just to demoralise / tire them a little more, and declare an hour before lunch just when they think we're going to bat too long and bring a draw into the frame. A wicket before lunch and they'll panick themselves into oblivion.

Thoughts?

Highest test partnerships for Australia:

WH Ponsford, DG Bradman 451
SG Barnes, DG Bradman 405
WH Ponsford, DG Bradman 388
SR Waugh, GS Blewett 385
RT Ponting, MJ Clarke 385*
WM Lawry, RB Simpson 382

Ponting was already talking about how tough it will be to take 20 wickets on this pitch. So I see Australia declaring sometime today if they want to make a win out of this match (yes India have been in horror batting form, but they will be encountering a subcontinent'ish pitch for the first time and also unlike Sydney, they will be getting in when its really placid for batting). So if Australia bat till tomorrow, they could give themselves less time to bowl India out (if India bat to their true potential or even 80% of it). Being an aggressive captain, I think Clarke will declare tonight. Anyways, 650 should be enough for Australia. India would have to turn up a very special performance to force a win from that position.

More time doesn't always mean a better chance of a win, although I concede that's the unimaginative way Ponting thinks. The main question is whether 8 sessions against a thoroughly demoralised India is more effective than 9 sessions against a fairly demoralised India. The Windies used to bat through until the first session of the fifth day, then trigger a collapse just before and after lunch. It's all about mental (and pitch) disintegration.

The other alternative would be to declare sometime towards the end of the lunch break. That'd definitely take 'em by surprise!

Funny how the flood gates just open up once you reach a certain milestone. Before this series Pup just couldn't get past 200, now he's done it 2 times out of 3.

Happens in ALL sports for wins and losses. Teams and Individuals. Break a streak and it will happen frequently again.

Thoughts?

This is one of those tricky declarations. A couple of teams have shown that 500+ score in the first innings wasn't enough to win them the match on this very ground. I certainly can't see us losing if we bat out today or most of it as we will be 600 odd. India would need almost 2 days just to achieve that by which they will be at day 5. Whatever we do, certainly don't declare anytime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread