Border-Gavaskar Trophy (India in Australia) Dec-Jan 2011/12

I think it's time to start looking at a few other options in place of Gambhir and Sehwag, especially outside of India.

The thing with Sehwag is that he is such a black and white player. If he gets a good knock in the first test you can see him going on and being a series winning player. On the other hand he can be that player who is entirely out of form but the selectors are still picking him in the hope that he'll get that game winning century out of nowhere.

Just to dispel any myths about Gambhir batting, he is rubbish!

The thing with Sehwag is that he is such a black and white player. If he gets a good knock in the first test you can see him going on and being a series winning player. On the other hand he can be that player who is entirely out of form but the selectors are still picking him in the hope that he'll get that game winning century out of nowhere.

Just to dispel any myths about Gambhir batting, he is rubbish!

I don't think he's rubbish. I just think he needs to take that shot out of his game. It's not so much a weakness against short bowling as it is tentative batting. In India, that's a quick single, but elsewhere, it could very well be out. It's a really tentative prod and I think it's a limited overs shot where there aren't always slip fielders. He's trying to be too cute instead of just doing the basics right. I think he can come back strong but first, he needs to realize that he's doing something wrong and actually do something about it.

My only concern is at international level, he has struggled unless it is a batting pitch.

Darn. I'll have to catch the game on highlights because of school. Anyway, the scorecard sure tells a good tale. Australia have seemingly bowled exceptionally. Pattinson amongst the wickets again.. this is awesome!

--

If Australia post a good total, this one's in the bag as well.

i think sehwags poor dip in form is also a lot to do with gambhir's dip. sehwag, as you say is either on or off, but as much as people like to say "the situation doesn't concern him." it must a bit. he's constantly been batting having lost his partner early.

furthermore he feeds of those wider deliveries caused by a player re-calibrating his line between left and right handers. if gambhir continues to fail then india are losing the edge sehwag gave them.

The ultimatum for Gambhir is the 2nd innings. If he doesnt post a good score (atleast 50+), he should be replaced by Rahane for Perth. I know Rahane performed badly in practice games, but give him some proper games before passing judgement on him. He is a big run scorer in our domestic circuit and has the patience for marathon innings. Same with Virat Kohli. Score a 50+ atleast or Rohit should replace him for Perth. Actually Kohli looked good for a decent while with Sachin in the 1st innings before he was setup well by Siddle. I thought Kohli could forge that partnership to bail India out.

As for the match, India has to keep the Aussie lead below 50 to have any chance of staying in the hunt. If Australia post 300, India are gone.

Still in this game. Just 2 early wickets. Come on India!

Can see this being an innings defeat for me, really really hope i am wrong.

Don't think it will be. If India gets a couple more wickets out comes Hussey and Haddin who have been walking wickets in recent times (except for Hussey in the 2nd innings last test). The only problem could be the tail with Siddle, Pattison, Hilfy, and Lyon.

Mate i highly doubt it....the aussies have become famous for losing wickets in clumps. its been going on for years now. we cant put teams away like we use to. although im slightly more confident in the ability to take 20 wickets now, our batting cannot ram home the advantage. a quick wicket in the morn and the aussies could be bundled out in no time. zaheer looks fit unlike in england and hes proving a handful. hussey is all or nothing these days. get him then bowl your spinners. our lower order has been getting too many cheap runs off your quicks with defensive fields.

just quietly...how good is pattinson? this guy is going to be the next steyn. thank god we finally have good pace with control after pulling our hair out over lee and johnson for so many years. hes bowling like gillespie during his hey day.

yeah, pattinson has been amazing. australia have some great options, hilfenhaus too has blown me away in all honesty. never seen him bowl so well. please, please, please keep them away from the ODI team for a bit, bowling like a perfect test bowlers right now, they don't need to get into the habits of back of a length containing stuff especially with the world cup years away.

I think Rahane needs shot in Australia.

But to me the bigger problem is the lack of form that Tendulkar and to a certain extent Laxman have both displayed over the last 6 months or so (I know Laxman batted ok in England) but I'm sure time that India started looking elsewhere. Give Tendulkar some time outside the game (drop him basically), I know he'll always be back to try and get his 100th 100 but it must be remembered that no player is bigger than the team (this coming from one of the biggest Tendulkar fans of all time). Dhoni's time in tests may be up as well, his captaincy is not good enough to justify his place in the team, not anymore.

----------

I'd love to see Cummins back in, with Pattinson, backed up nicely by the likes of Siddle and Hilfenhaus.

Users who are viewing this thread