Profile Flag
India
My team of the group stages:

----------Ochoa---------
Aurier-Godin-Marquez-Blind
-----Pirlo-Mascherano-----
-----------James---------
Robben----Messi----Neymar

Will be interesting to see how it changes. Benzema, Muller, Sanchez, and Van Persie could all have been in this team as well. I know it hasn't looked like Pirlo had a great World Cup, but in the Costa Rica game, he created so many good chances. I can think of at least 2 that were put on a plate for Balotelli, and that was despite Pirlo being fiercely marked throughout the game. He didn't make a single bad decision, and I don't think he was at all responsible for Italy going out.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
BBC Sport - World Cup 2014: Nigeria boycott training in money row

Oh dear...:facepalm

----------

My team of the group stages:

----------Ochoa---------
Aurier-Godin-Marquez-Blind
-----Pirlo-Mascherano-----
-----------James---------
Robben----Messi----Neymar

Will be interesting to see how it changes. Benzema, Muller, Sanchez, and Van Persie could all have been in this team as well. I know it hasn't looked like Pirlo had a great World Cup, but in the Costa Rica game, he created so many good chances. I can think of at least 2 that were put on a plate for Balotelli, and that was despite Pirlo being fiercely marked throughout the game. He didn't make a single bad decision, and I don't think he was at all responsible for Italy going out.

Yea nice squad. I'm not 100% sure of Mascherano has stood out in mid-field, but then again I can't think of any other mid-fielder who has looked outstanding TBF.

Herrera from Mexico has been pretty energetic, but no one else comes to mind.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Best World Cup players at Brazil 2014 - ESPN FC

i

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Hmm, fair enough on Pogba, Medel, and Gonzalez. To be honest, I haven't paid much attention to France's games (just been running in the background). I don't know why, but they bore me.

I wouldn't have Jermaine Jones in there. All of USA's defensive-minded players have put in good shifts, but they have also been pretty leaky, and quite lucky they didn't let in more goals (e.g. vs Ghana and Germany). For example, I think Fabian Johnson has been outstanding going forward, but has been to blame for at least a couple of the goals the US let in.

I can see why they didn't include Pirlo though. He needs other players to make him look good like I said earlier, and Italy were pretty toothless in attack after the England game. I would still pick him though, not based on past performances/reputation even.

Looks like at least 7 players are obvious selections though. Glad I got those right!

Last edited:

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Yea nice squad. I'm not 100% sure of Mascherano has stood out in mid-field, but then again I can't think of any other mid-fielder who has looked outstanding TBF.

My Mascherano pick from my team from the group stages looks like a fantastic shout by me now, War! haha. i'm going to chalk that one up

Here's my team of the tournament:

-------------Neuer-------------
Lahm---Hummels--Garay---Blind
--Schweinsteiger--Mascherano--
-------------James-------------
---Robben---Messi---Neymar----

The only players I feel bad about leaving out are Muller and Kuyt. Perhaps Kuyt can be selected over Blind? It was a toss-up between Khedira and Schweinsteiger as well, but Schweinsteiger played today, and Khedira didn't, and that's what it came down to for me.

Last edited:

War

Chairman of Selectors
Ha no worries, i guess at the time of the group i wasn't sure.

Users who are viewing this thread