New World Rankings - Brazil 1st, Aussies 16th

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
The UWFC thing is nothing really.

Although I agree that England would probably beat Russia more times than not, but you can have rankings based on probability.

As far as facts are concerned. Russia beat England in the Euro 2008 qualifiers, Russia went till the semis of Euro 2008, while England did not even participate. In the period after that Russia have won all but one of their matches I think, which is the case with England as well. So based on recent performances, Russia have done better than England.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
The UWFC thing is nothing really.

Although I agree that England would probably beat Russia more times than not, but you can have rankings based on probability.

As far as facts are concerned. Russia beat England in the Euro 2008 qualifiers, Russia went till the semis of Euro 2008, while England did not even participate. In the period after that Russia have won all but one of their matches I think, which is the case with England as well. So based on recent performances, Russia have done better than England.
Why is it nothing? Because Spain aren't the holders?

Left_Hander

Chairman of Selectors
I'm thrilled for Australia's rise in the rankings because I really do love their football team and our Timothy, but the FIFA rankings have always been a bit of a joke tbh.

Couldn't agree more with this. I am however very happy that Australia are in the top 20. A while back a few of my Greek mates were saying how awesome Greece were going to go in the Euro 08 and how they are so high in the FIFA rankings. I told that the FIFA rankings were rubbish (USA very high etc) and they laughed at me and said, "What rankings system is better? Your own?". Thankfully they ate humble pie.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
To be honest there is no better ranking system. Its far from perfect, but its still the best you can get. I'll say that atleast within a particular confederation, they are pretty fair.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Russia made the semi's yes, but lets take a look at their results and where the teams are in the FIFA World Rankings:

Group Stage
Spain (2nd) 4-1 Russia
Greece (11th) 0-1 Russia
Russia (42nd) 2-0 Sweden

Knockout
Russia 3-1 Holland (3rd) (aet)
Russia 0-3 Spain (2nd)

Apart from the win against Holland they hardly excelled. They scraped past Greece, which I also are way too high up the rankings, and the result against Sweden isn't anything special. The had Pavlyuchenko and Arshavin to thank for most of their wins which says more about those strikers than the team. They were battered by Spain twice, letting in 7 goals, which even Iraq could better (Only lost 1-0 in Confederations Cup). Had Russia been given any other group I don't think they would have made it through. Russia have two great strikers and lucky group draws to thank for being 6th in the FIFA Rankings.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
Russia made the semi's yes, but lets take a look at their results and where the teams are in the FIFA World Rankings:

Group Stage
Spain (2nd) 4-1 Russia
Greece (11th) 0-1 Russia
Russia (42nd) 2-0 Sweden

Knockout
Russia 3-1 Holland (3rd) (aet)
Russia 0-3 Spain (2nd)

Apart from the win against Holland they hardly excelled. They scraped past Greece, which I also are way too high up the rankings, and the result against Sweden isn't anything special. The had Pavlyuchenko and Arshavin to thank for most of their wins which says more about those strikers than the team. They were battered by Spain twice, letting in 7 goals, which even Iraq could better (Only lost 1-0 in Confederations Cup). Had Russia been given any other group I don't think they would have made it through. Russia have two great strikers and lucky group draws to thank for being 6th in the FIFA Rankings.

I am not denying that they might have been lucky. But the rankings cant work on what might have been if they were in another group in Euro 2008, or the manner of their victory over Sweden. To be honest, I thought it was not that easy a group because Spain and Sweden are both good teams, and Greece were defending champions.

Like I said, the rankings can only be based on the final results, which in Russia's case, have been impressive, or rather more fortunate.

Cricketdude

Chairman of Selectors
For the people that think we don't deserve our ranking, last world cup we finished 16th. So theoretically we are a top 16 country.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I am not denying that they might have been lucky. But the rankings cant work on what might have been if they were in another group in Euro 2008, or the manner of their victory over Sweden. To be honest, I thought it was not that easy a group because Spain and Sweden are both good teams, and Greece were defending champions.

Like I said, the rankings can only be based on the final results, which in Russia's case, have been impressive, or rather more fortunate.

And that's my point, the rankings are massively flawed. All I am saying is that Russia are not the 6th best team in the world, and yet the rankings system is supposed to list, in order, the best teams in the world. It simple isn't worth looking at it. The World Cup is the best indicator because you can see who has quality and who doesn't. I highly doubt Russia will make the quarter finals of next years World Cup.

m_vaughan

Chairman of Selectors
And that's my point, the rankings are massively flawed. All I am saying is that Russia are not the 6th best team in the world, and yet the rankings system is supposed to list, in order, the best teams in the world. It simple isn't worth looking at it. The World Cup is the best indicator because you can see who has quality and who doesn't. I highly doubt Russia will make the quarter finals of next years World Cup.

I dont think the WC is either, because anything can happen in knockout football. Infact I would say the rankings are better because they will consider your number of wins over a certain period of time.

treva

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I dont think the WC is either, because anything can happen in knockout football. Infact I would say the rankings are better because they will consider your number of wins over a certain period of time.

Rarely do you see upsets in the World Cup if were honest. Yes, obviously there will be some upsets every now and again but anybody who knows football can easily pick up on those upsets and count them as an anomaly. I would think that most of the teams that make it into the last 16 of the World Cup to be roughly the 16 best in the world, and from there you can draw up your own conclusions as to who is better than others.

mattfb

Chairman of Selectors
We would need to make the final 16 of the WC, maybe get 1 step further and hope some team in front of us has an epic fail. Top 10 is a long way off.

Users who are viewing this thread